Topic: [THAC X] Captain Obvious 2: A Grand Unveiling!

Directory Link

THAC X: Captain Obvious 2: A Grand Unveiling!

Youtube

Captain Obvious is back in this epic (although short) adventure.

It's better than the first one, but that's about all I can say for it. This is also the contest version, and is therefore slightly unfinished. One of these days I may go back and complete it.

Anyway, it took twenty-one and a half hours, and yes, I have released a THACumentary.
It's here in the "Other Films" section.

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (January 1, 2013 (12:33am))

Re: [THAC X] Captain Obvious 2: A Grand Unveiling!

BUMP, I know it's kinda rude to bump my own topic, but I'd like a little feedback on this before it fades into oblivion. mini/wink

All I really want is one, really good, really helpful review.
Gathering the opinions of your fellow animators is a necessary part of developing a good sense of what to do and what not to do. So please help!

Thank you.

Also, I find it ironic that this is rated higher than ANP's THAC video, and only has three less votes. Not that I'm asking for that to change, mind you, I'm only noting the irony.

Sorry I didn't type a comment earlier. I usually like to wait a while and let it sit in my head for a time before typing a comment as well as watch it again perhaps once or twice.
The problem with this is I keep forgetting about it before I get to it. mini/tongue

It's definitely one of the better of the THAC entries for sure. But I doubt it would win pitted against No Crawme's Sing Along, Red Eye, and a few others.
The animation is impressive and doesn't look like it should have been 24 hours, and I particularly liked the set design. It's marvelous!
It felt a bit cut off an unfinished at the end though, BUT THIS IS THAC, it's hard to avoid that. He he

So like, super good animation. It was actually really amazing. However, the lights in the opening scene are way too dim because I could not tell what was going on or who was talking during that scene. It had real nice cinematography especially what you did with the pull focus and when the camera was dropped- However maybe those scenes and the TV scene should have had some sort of filter to make it look like a recording. As for the film itself, the plot was a bit rushed (of course it was, this is THAC. Everybody had a rushed plot.) But I think this plot may have been a tad overambitious for 24 hours, because it could have been truly great if it took its time.
So despite these I actually really liked this film! It is pretty darn impressive to make something like this in 21 hours so I definitely applaud you for that. Keep up the good work! mini/cat

Well, I have to agree with you it was better than the first Captain Obvious is some ways, in others not (I'm just stating this, I'm not going to be comparing the two).

The plot was alright, but felt very rushed in spots and I don't feel it was as close to the theme as it could have been. The characterization was also fair, but I think it would have been better if you had again portrayed Captain Obvious as sort of an over-the-top obvious guy. Some of the voice acting could have been better, particularly the three agent guys and the man with the fez (he talked a bit too fast at times).

Now to the positive stuff. The lighting was great, I'll give you that. Really nice lighting. I like the parts with the reporters/news anchors, I don't really know why but they looked really good. The movement at emphasis points was great, since it gave a very realistic feel. I like the part with the fez man, especially when the camera was tilted, then un-tilted (and Dr. Duh "duh"ing in the background. I almost laughed when Cap. Obvious said "Crawme broke out!," I wasn't expecting it. Smeagol's voice acting was superb, I definitely think the Light of Evil's voice was perfect.

I'm going to give it a total 4/5, if you had had more time I'm sure you could have fixed the faults. mini/smile

Good. I like the lighting and technical work in general. I hadn't seen the original beforehand so I had a somewhat hard time following it.

The Light of Evil sure does have a sexy voice.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Wow, thanks for all of the reviews guys!

ANP wrote:

It felt a bit cut off an unfinished at the end...

Yeah, as I explained in my THACumentary, I had some ideas about what would be "unveiled", but couldn't think of a good enough one in time. So I simply took the easy way out and cut off the ending.

topitmunkeydog wrote:

...this plot may have been a tad overambitious for 24 hours...

I agree, but unfortunately I didn't realize that until about two-thirds of the way through production. By then it was really too late to change anything.

Truthfully, I'm blown away by you guys. I never thought that I'd see phrases like "It's definitely one of the better of the THAC entries for sure" "Super good animation" and "Really nice lighting" typed about one of my videos. Ya'll have certainly made my day. And I will, of course, be implementing your knowledgeable advice.

Thank you! mini/yes

(And to top it all off, this video is responsible for my breaking the 100 subscribers mark!)

Pritchard's THAC entry is one of the most difficult to judge. It has some very good things in there: the animation is good, and some of the special effects (especially that whole 'teleporting' effect) are very creative and cool. On the other hand, the story feels a bit all over the place, and some of the technical aspects (mainly the lighting in the opening and the strange "falling camera" thing) do not really help out the film. The title is very uncreative as well. Overall though, I think Captain Obvious 2 is an entertaining film which does have a lot of things going for it.

Thank you for the review, it's great to hear from one of the judges!

(mainly the lighting in the opening and the strange "falling camera" thing)

The camera thing is something that I regret, so your feelings about it are understood. I also could have done better with the lighting in those scenes, and don't have any excuse for either one.

The title is very uncreative as well.

It's a Captain Obvious film, and I feel that the title should reflect that obvious-ness and cheesiness.

I think Captain Obvious 2 is an entertaining film which does have a lot of things going for it.

Thanks!