Topic: Music Appreciation Thread for Gents

I don't believe theres an actual thread where we discuss music tastes and bands and what not. So yeah, now you can.

At the moment I'm really into Passion Pit, Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, Imagine Dragons and of Monsters and Men. I like the sort of relaxed but rhythmic vibe, it kind of zones you out or can be easy listening music. Also if you're looking up Grizzly Bear I'd recommend Sleeping Ute and Yet Again.

uhm yeah so I'm interested to broaden my tastes so suggest stuff for me.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Re: Music Appreciation Thread for Gents

I've been listening to some LCD Soundsystem music lately, but I've gotten into movie soundtracks a lot.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

I've been really fancying Electro Swing lately.
Particularly Dragons by Caravan Palace.
They've some other decent songs from what I've heard thus far, though I'm not particularly fond of any besides that one and Clash.
Also, Catgroove is another awesome Electro Swing piece. mini/smile
If anyone has some recommendations for good Electro Swing songs, I'd really like to have them.

In other genres, I recently stumbled upon this really epic classical piece: "Montagues and Capulets".
(It gets really great at about 1:30)

I really like Parry Gripp's random songs, and Daniel Ingram.

And that's all I really have for now. mini/tongue

Lately I have Ben listening to a LOT of David Bowie, particularly Low, Heros, and Lodger. Don't know why but that has been hitting the spot lately, also any time I have needed to recover from bad Christmas music I have been listening to 'Christmas Card From A Hooker in Minneapolis' by Tom Waits, that is the best Christmas song ever written.

I haven't been listening to that much music lately. I've been buying a couple of vinyl records, yes, but all purchases have been of all-time favorites, namely In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel and the Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones. Check them out if you're into indie rock or psychedelic folk. Really good stuff.

Onion wrote:

uhm yeah so I'm interested to broaden my tastes so suggest stuff for me.

Have you listened to Tame Impala? Not very folk-y, but you might enjoy them. Their psych-roch influences shines through, and they remind me of Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper-era Beatles (not that I love Beatles very much, however).

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

In the Aeroplane over the Sea is such a great album, I got to see Jeff Mangum live last year and it was outstanding

SlothPaladin wrote:

In the Aeroplane over the Sea is such a great album, I got to see Jeff Mangum live last year and it was outstanding

Ah, I am now extremely jealous of you. I doubt he'll be touring Sweden any time soon, which is a shame because I'd probably pay a lot to see him.
If you like NMH then you should really listen to the Glow Pt. 2. Although I may not agree fully, it's been compared with In the Aeroplane Over the Sea several times.
Divorce Lawyers I Shaved My Head is another fantastic album, that's somewhat similar in style to ITAOTS, and it's available for free download here.

Here is my new one.

I've been listening to some Woodkid which has a beautiful natural, rusty grainy-ish sound. Hard to explain, but he's amazing.
Also some Avicii and Madeon, lovely vibe, no big bass or wubs to ruin the songs. Some good techno house stuff.

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

1011Ev wrote:

I've been listening to some Woodkid which has a beautiful natural, rusty grainy-ish sound. Hard to explain, but he's amazing.

Has he released anything since that debut EP? Thought it was extremely forgettable, to be honest.

Here is my new one.

Have you listened to Tame Impala?

Looked them up and wow, I really like these guys. Psychedelic folk and Sub-pop are actually great genres. I used to only like indie but I must say its awesome discovering just good bands.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Been real into stuff like Of Monsters and Men, Mother Mother, Queen, Hey Ocean, Imagine Dragons, Sufjan Stevens, and junk like that. Also, like ANP, a lot of electroswing music. A certain electroswing song I've been loving lately is Ring-A-Ding Baby! by Icky.

Also been listening to random songs from different musicals. Been real into musicals lately whoops

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Filip wrote:

Has he released anything since that debut EP? Thought it was extremely forgettable, to be honest.

Not that I know of, though he has been touring a bit around in 2012 and I think he has been working on music videos for people.

Been listening to some Matisyahu, a tad bit of Low Roar (Tonight, Tonight, Tonight), and some Daft Punk.
Not to mention some Bach, Wolfgang, Beethoven, and Mozart. mini/smile

"Of The Pond Films"

Onion wrote:

Have you listened to Tame Impala?

Looked them up and wow, I really like these guys. Psychedelic folk and Sub-pop are actually great genres. I used to only like indie but I must say its awesome discovering just good bands.

Sub Pop is not a genre, it's a record label mini/wink .

Here is my new one.

As of late:
Kite Party, Tigers Jaw, Joyce Manor, The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die,  Title Fight, American Football, and Streetlight Manifesto.  Indie and ska for the win!

Stoppedmotion wrote:

As of late:
Kite Party, Tigers Jaw, Joyce Manor, The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die,  Title Fight, American Football, and Streetlight Manifesto.  Indie and ska for the win!

You might want to check out Modest Mouse and mewithoutYou. It's a blend of Indie Rock and Post-Hardcore.

Here is my new one.

Favorite Mewithoutyou song.

Filip, Woodkid has been touring throughout 2012 and he has a new album coming out soonish.

"Of The Pond Films"

I'm really into 80's synth pop. Have some of the best:

Com Truise

Walsh

Chromatic Dream - Comes with awesome Videodrome quote!

Lazerhaek - Comes with awesome clips of The Last Starfighter!

Power Glove - Comes with samples of Stallone's Cobra!

The best of all of these is Com Truise, I definitely want all of you to listen to him as soon as possible and as much as you can.

My interests are all over the place. Here's the some things I listened through and enjoyed the last few days, though.

Burial - Truant / Rough Sleeper EP

Sweet Smoke - Just A Poke

EDIT: Lamplight, I've heard some Com Truise before, pretty cool stuff.

Awolnation's pretty good

If you haven't already check up Atlas Genius. Their ep is coming out in February and their stuff is great.

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here