Topic: Horn of the Minotaur My first voiced film that goes 3:11 minutes long!

Hey guys be sure to check out my new video that now has voices, I am very happy with the result for my first attempt however please be sure to tell me what I can do to improve and what changes you would like to see to my films to look better to peoples overall standards, otherwise please enjoy!

If there's anything you can suggest for me to make as a film be sure to tell me, and I'll see what I can do.

(Only if you do not wish to use the suggestions you tell me, or if you could tell me even a genre or a scene, I'm always up for peoples challeneges!)

Just posted it up on youtube not long ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIKrifbB … e=youtu.be

Thanks guys!

GeneralNed

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21

Re: Horn of the Minotaur My first voiced film that goes 3:11 minutes long!

Alrighty, this is one of those very few times when something actually SHOULD be in the releases forum.
Completed films and previews go there, while clips and unfinished shots go in the WIP forum.
While a thread in production can link to a clip, it is usually in the context of an entire update thread concerning the respective film, not as a separate/independent thread.

Now, on the the film. The most noticeable things were the over-use of still frames, and the voice acting.

The voices had that awful "Breath on mic" sound, and were, quite frankly, monotone and unnatural.
Several of the lines were awkwardly written and/or spoken, and with hardly anything else going on, that caused the movie to become un-engaging and somewhat boring. The still frames part should be evident, since from 1:24-1:39 the old man cuts straight from one position to the next. Not moving mind you, but instantly bringing his arm/body to the next position. This destroys the whole point of animating the figures. You animate them to make it look like a real-life movie, not a slide-show. Animations/movies/films are called "Motion pictures" for a reason.

Now, what real, true animation there was turned out to be pretty decent. You do need to perfect the arm swinging in your walk cycle, but it's getting much better. The first camera movement was surprisingly good, but the ones that "Followed" the walking figure were very choppy. Timing those right takes a lot of skill and practice, so don't worry, you'll get better.

One gigantic problem that you need to fix is adding in more angles and cuts. Close-ups on the figures, side views, front views, looking back and forth between the figures, Ect....  Check out this film to see a great example of what to do in conversations like this. Yes, that video has mouth animation, but if you follow everything else, it really won't matter. And yes, you can use still frames, but having the figure's arms move around, and changing angles really improves the scene. Just looking at a still frame of two guys talking is boring, no matter how great the voice actors are, or how interesting the subject matter. But add in some movement and different camera angles, and the whole thing suddenly gets really cool and engaging.

This comment has gotten long enough already, so I'll let others comment on the set, story and anything else of importance. You're getting better, just try to to avoid the still-frames, iron out all the little animation details and you'll be making great films in no time.

Re: Horn of the Minotaur My first voiced film that goes 3:11 minutes long!

@Pritchard Studios thank you for your feedback, I always appreciate what you have to say, and I know exactly what you mean, with the still frames, I will definitely add more pictures to it next time to allow it to be more realistic though the thing were I went wrong and most likely from all the still frames was from the fact, i voiced it later rather then before as to me I found that helpful maybe I was wrong and I should try it the other way around.

Also I didn't know my voice was unnatural, but never the less how can I fix this problem so it would give me more of a  natural tone?

Thank you for the feedback on the animation, and for noticing I am improving it does honestly mean alot to me.

I am actually having a lot of trouble with the camera movement, and would LOVE to know how people to the camera angles as in first the camera is in motion with 2 guys in the scene then just the left guy then the camera moves straight to the right guy then back to the left, but how is this done? Is it done by zooming or what is it? I am very interested to know this, however I will see that video you provided and will continue to take your advice. So thank you for that.

The angles and cuts will be a pain but I am very keen to learn so it does not both me what so ever.

Thank you for keeping track on me and noticing my improvement, I will continue to take your advice and when I get time I will watch that video and take notice of everything I need to know, then I will try another

Cheers.

Generalned

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21