Topic: The Brickfilming 'Golden Days'

I was recently reading a review of a brickfilm on this site, and it said it was "reminiscent of the golden era of brickfilming." It said that nowadays, a lot of brickfilms out there are fight scenes, dynamic duos or copyrighted-character-based films. I wonder, do you think that brickfilming has been going down hill? Has it gone uphill? Or is it just simply different, not necessarily better or worse than it used to be? What I mean is, is the brickfilming community becoming based more on unoriginal topics? Or, are things improving and is brickfilming becoming more versatile? I don't want anyone to point any fingers or be rude about it, but I do want honest thoughts/opinions on the matter.

The film/review that really got me thinking about this:
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/films/view/1665

Re: The Brickfilming 'Golden Days'

Brickfilms have always been at the same quality, more or less, you just only remember the good films of the past.

Not sure brickfilming has been around long enough to have a golden era...

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

RedBrick1 wrote:

Not sure brickfilming has been around long enough to have a golden era...

The golden era was from 2006 to 2009. It was when brickfilming became famous, getting out of shadow, exposing itself to the internet. Nowadays, yes, brikfilming is really popular, but many of the brickfilms are bad. It's the good brickfilms that still keep the art of animating LEGO alive.

A lot of people have referred to the time before 2008-ish (if I remember) as the golden age, as that was around the time we started getting a lot of dynamic-duos and just seeing an overall decrease in the effort put into films as at that point more people just decided to go for short one-joke flicks rather than memorable long ones.

It's probably just because people seem to look back at the older days of brickfilms wearing extremely thick nostalgia goggles, not realizing that brickfilming hasn't changed all too much apart from the dramatic increase in popularity, obviously increasing the chance of more short flicks.

We don't have nearly as many dynamic-duos and cliches now as we used to so I'm guessing you were reading quite an old review, as most people don't look on brickfilming today with the same bias as they used to.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

whispers

it never happened

it's all a conspiracy

don't believe a word they say

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

How dare you, JK, how dare you deny our holocaust--I mean Golden Days.  We lived through it.  It happened.  Many of us have even survived the Exodus from Brickfilms.com and the 1000 millisec journey to BricksinMotion.com.  You have no right to say it never happened because you were there too!

Apologize to the Brickfilmian people!

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

I don't think the quality/quantity of the best new films has gone down, really, though there is more low-quality stuff out there now because it's much easier for younger kids to get a webcam and some LEGO and post their video on YouTube.

The quality of the community has gone down as the average age of its users has gotten younger, and YouTube really eliminated the need for a community like this one when it comes to having a place to get some viewers and promotion for your work. BiM, now, is really more of a niche community for people who take the hobby seriously as an art and want to improve their skills and share what they've learned.

I definitely liked the community a lot better 5 years or so ago, but I think the main problem is really that the advent of YouTube has irreparably changed the way sharing videos online works.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Lechnology wrote:

How dare you, JK, how dare you deny our holocaust--I mean Golden Days.  We lived through it.  It happened.  Many of us have even survived the Exodus from Brickfilms.com and the 1000 millisec journey to BricksinMotion.com.  You have no right to say it never happened because you were there too!

You're lying and you know it! Not only did the "golden days" and the "exodus" never happen, Lechnology here is secretly a ROBOT! THAT'S RIGHT! A ROBOT!

THE REAL LECHNOLOGY IS BEING HIDDEN IN BERTL'S BASEMENT AND BEING STARVED TO DEATH

Been wondering why BertL hasn't been around in so long? HE HASN'T BEEN AROUND BECAUSE HE'S TOO PREOCCUPIED WITH STARVING INNOCENT PEOPLE! TO DEATH!

SMEAGOL WAS IN KAHOOTS WITH THICKASABRICK THE ENTIRE TIME

THEY'RE PLANNING TO PUT US ALL IN BERTL'S BASEMENT AND STARVE US TO DEATH

they're coming for me next. any post i make from here on out will be a robot impersonating me

get out while you still have the chance

Mod edit: Haha! I sure was silly.

Last edited by Just Kidden (August 29, 2012 (10:25pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I think this is going a little of topic. mini/lol

- PlainBrick
Formerly MrLegoProductions
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/mrlego15/bg67_zps34f3201a.png
Youtube - My Latest Video

Like some people have already said, as the group of people who make brickfilms has gone up, a much higher percentage of those are young kids who don't take the hobby seriously. With youtube the all end up on the internet, and they pop up all over the place, many of them here. I didn't post anything on BiM or even join for awhile because I saw it as a community for serious brickfilmers and the only videos released here were films of at least decent length and quality, stuff that was worth watching. The reason the film directory failed was because of tons of submissions of 30 second shorts that the creators didn't put much effort into; so yes, the community has gone down hill, starting before I joined, that's for sure. I also believe that most of the people here who post other places beside putting a film in the release forum really are trying to improve their film making, I know I am. It's not that there arn't still good brickfilms coming out, just look at the amount of work the BuilderBrothers are putting into The Squire and the Scroll; it's just that there are a lot more, lets face it, bad brickfilms being spewed all over youtube in between the good ones. (I myself have been guilty of this in my earlier stages in brickfilming).

There was definitely a 'Golden Age' of the community and that was brickfilms.com 2000-2006 I'd say. The site back then was the biggest brickfilming website at the time and therefore one of the only places to find lego animation and webcams weren't so prevalent then as they are now meaning that mostly serious people would make brickfilms and some lucky children whose parents had cameras they could use. The amount of quality animation being made then is probably the same now though nowadays you have to get past a lot of other films to find a gem.

My favourite brickfilm will always remain The Magic Portal though and that was made in the 1980s.

Wow, thanks for all of the great insight everyone! Some very good points have been made here. I suppose people could be being a bit too nostalgic. Then again, the community did seem to be tighter back then, with more professional work being dished out. And it is harder to find a truly stunning brickfilm nowadays. When I've been on this site, I do find there are several releases a day, and usually a majority of them are fairly poorly thought out. I don't really have a problem with younger kids getting in to brickfilming, and they tend to not know any better than to make what they make, which is generally not great work. Just maybe when they get older we might start to see better films from them? The fact that they join this site might be because they think that they are actually very good brickfilmers. I know that when I was 10 and started to get in to brickfilming, I thought all of my films were really impressive; amazing pieces of art. Of course, they were not that... at all. Some of the brickfilmers from this 'golden era' are still around (Smeagol, MindGame...), but it seems like others have been drifting away (Nathan Wells, Nosniborus...). I wonder if that's because of the changes that have happened over time in the community? Or, merely a loss of interest... I love hearing everyone's thoughts, this is a really intriguing subject for me. Keep 'em coming! mini/bigsmile

"Back in the day", brickfilming simply wasn't as easy to get into. The hardware wasn't commonly owned, the software wasn't as accessible, and there was the ever nagging problem of where the hell to host your films. There was a lot of effort spent just being able to get your film made and out there.

Nowadays, a lot of kids already have the gear to film, and with a few clicks, their work is hosted for a global audience. Hell, you don't even have to wait for the film to download, it just streams. While this is great for exposure of the hobby, and I'm sure plenty of talented people have started this way, it does also lead to a much higher number of 'low end' brickfilms floating around.

Quite frankly, I'm extremely out of touch with this community nowadays though, so perhaps I'm not the best one to compare the two... mini/smile

~Never Knows Best~

Lechnology wrote:

Just wondering, what happened to Brickfilms.com in the first place, that it became inactive and everyone migrated here?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Just wondering, what happened to Brickfilms.com in the first place, that it became inactive and everyone migrated here?

This.

Realm of the Unreel wrote:
FlyingMinifig wrote:

This.

Wow. mini/what

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Wow, I knew there was a lot of controversy but I had never read that article before. I am stunned at how insane things had gotten. Wow.

Wow. I just read that entire article, and it was extremely interesting. I knew there was controversy surrounding Brickfilms.com (vs. BricksinMotion.com) but I had no idea all of the juicy details. Thanks for posting that, Realm of the Unreel. It's really cool learning the history of this hobby. It seems that in the olden days of Brickfilms.com, brickfilming was more authentic. There were more thought-out works being distributed. I think that the reason for brickfilming becoming more popular, for better or for worse, is the evolution of the internet. YouTube makes it easier for people to find brickfilms, learn about it, and make them, whether they're 9 years old or 20 years old. That article was written in 2008, so it would be cool if someone would write an updated version, with that same information and then more info on the years that followed, up until now. I know I read somewhere in the forums that people were starting an official brickfilming wiki, so I'd like to see where that goes.

When I first started getting into brickfilming websites earlier this year (I've been brickfilming for quite a while but had never looked it up online), I wanted to know what had happened to Brickfilms.com. I looked around, found a lot of old threads and spent a bunch of time looking at how these sites were using the Wayback Machine. When I found that article, it was awesome because finally everything made sense! Here are some of the other things I found:
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … s-rebeled/
http://web.archive.org/web/200806240737 … topic/908/
http://archive.org/search.php?query=col … amp;page=1
There's more, of course, and the refugee camp is really interesting to look around in. Gotta go.