Re: The Brickfilming 'Golden Days'

Wow, this is all incredible. It may sound weird, but it's inspiring me to really throw myself in to the community. There's so much behind it. BiM is like a cult of people all devoted to this great hobby (with a few exceptions - not pointing any fingers). This backstory is really interesting, and I'm guessing that film Eddie was going to make never got made, but now I'd really like to see it done! Thanks for posting all of that RotU, I'm learning a lot.

After reading the article, I finally understand why it all happened:
RevMen sold brickfilms.com to a network because the site wasn't doing to well. The network's representative and the new owner (TaaB) was used to handling business sites, so she didn't know how to handle a community site. She even stated that she was handling it in a business manner. The members of a community need to know what's going on so they understand. The opposite happened: TaaB kept the community in the dark, misunderstandings happened, and chaos arose. Most people left, this site was built, and everyone came here. Now, the only reason anyone would want to go back to brickfilms.com is nostalgia.

(Read that if you TL;DR'd the article.)

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

The biggest reason for the fallout was that brickfilms.com wasn't just a site that hosted a community, but rather had been built by the community. Brickfilms 2.0, if you will, was the result of the community from the original forums banding together and putting together a PHP based site that could join the forums and the rest of the website. It was members of the community that built and later maintained the new site. Throughout it's life, it had always felt like more of an ongoing project by the community than a site owned by one person (even though one person technically did).

When TaaB took over, it became clear that the site no longer belonged to the community, and therefore, the community no longer belonged to the site.

~Never Knows Best~

Wow. Thanks WhiteDragon. From what I've read, people were a bit too guerrilla in their responses to TaaB. Though that's painting a broad brush, because other members of the community wrote intelligent, well-thought-out posts to convince TaaB of what she was doing wrong. But she never really seemed to grasp the concept of what the community was arguing for, and telling her about what she'd walked in on.

I started out in the middle of this ''golden age'' thingy. Funny enough I've never experienced it like that. mini/XD

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''