Re: Bricks (Series)

Interesting...

I was surprised to see this bumped!

Anyway, I guess I'll do the next update on episode 1 I've been planning to post:

I did a teensy bit more of the editing last month.  I need to get going on that.

AnnoyingNoisesProductions is taking over as Jed.  topitmukeydog's lines are unusable due to it being it in a strange file type that I can't import into Audacity to clean up the background noise in those lines (I don't think I can import them into Lightworks either).

StantheLegoMan has replaced RealBrick as Furst.  RealBrick was taking way too long, he later said he forgot all about it.  Stan says he has finished recording his lines, but he hasn't sent them to me yet.

(By the way, these updates are just basic updates for people that are interested in the film.  I know this for a fact because some people have actually stated that they're interested in it.)

Last edited by minifig051 (January 9, 2012 (04:13pm))

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Would you mind posting a frame? This looks pretty good. mini/smile

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

Juggernaut Pictures wrote:

Would you mind posting a frame? This looks pretty good. mini/smile

That's a good idea.  I'll do that sometime (when I have time).

Can't wait. This looks interesting.

UPDATE:

All of the animation is in Lightworks.

I have most of the sound effects in, I still need to make a few.

With voices, mcoov and StanTheLegoMan have apparently fallen off the planet (Stan lost the lines he recorded when he switched computers and he didn't have time to rerecord. So I asked mcoov a few months ago, and he's gone now. Stan came back last month, but he disappeared), so I decided to get a voice actor for Furst from these forums.  Also, I'm waiting for a few little things from AnnoyingNoisesProductions.

Sounds cool. I want to see a frame too! mini/wink

I posted a frame in the "Frame from Your Upcoming Film" thread a while ago.

I'll just post it here if you don't want to go hunting through that thread:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6681023861_d747f44eba.jpg

Brightness seems a little too high, as well as saturation. Also the wall is relatively boring, and some furniture (such as a table underneath the window) might look nice.

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

Yeah, I know, the film as a whole has problems. I did all the animation last year.

I didn't have enough lighting, so I jacked up the light settings. I have more lamps now, so I am able to turn the settings down.
The scene the frame is from is towards the end, when they get the house. It's supposed to be empty.
Even so, I wasn't that good at set design at the time, and I still could use improvement in that area.

Also, the frame is low-res because when I started filming, I had a version of Stop Motion Pro that couldn't do HD (I upgraded to the HD version since then).

Last edited by minifig051 (July 29, 2012 (11:08am))

It's probably a bit late for re-filming stuff, as it was so long ago, so you should keep the footage and stick with it.
However, it could benefit somewhat with a bit of effects.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6681023861_d747f44eba.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527487_497090616971790_1159373832_n.jpg

I gave it a whack and this was what I got. It's still kinda bad quality, and I think someone could have done better, but a bit of colour correction, additional contrast, and a little darkening seem to help it.

It you have access to tools to implement such effects, I suggest you spend a bit of time messing with it.

Hmm... Well, it might be too late to fix things because the main problem is the lighting itself. I had only two lamps at the time, so the lighting isn't balanced. Earlier in the film, all the shots filmed on the main apartment set were lighted with only one lamp.

The edited frame looks somewhat better. I think it's a little too dark, though. Maybe it needs less contrast and a little less darkening.

I don't think I have the tools to do those kind of effects. I'll poke around in Lightworks and see if there's any filters or something.

The light varies from shot to shot at some points. (That would be the result of me messing with my camera settings and some natural light getting through my blinds back when I had only one lamp.) Would it be possible to modify it so the lighting is equalized? Also, is there a way to fix light flicker? (The bad lighting, regular light bulbs, natural light, high camera settings,  low resolution, and lack of frame averaging contributed to this.)

minifig051 wrote:

I tried to script the first idea I had, but I drew a blank. If I went with that idea, it would be too similar to another film.

Guess: is it "Benny 'n' Lee"?

I think it would be very interesting to see your first animation. I'm excited.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

minifig051 wrote:

Hmm... Well, it might be too late to fix things because the main problem is the lighting itself. I had only two lamps at the time, so the lighting isn't balanced. Earlier in the film, all the shots filmed on the main apartment set were lighted with only one lamp.

The edited frame looks somewhat better. I think it's a little too dark, though. Maybe it needs less contrast and a little less darkening.

I don't think I have the tools to do those kind of effects. I'll poke around in Lightworks and see if there's any filters or something.

The light varies from shot to shot at some points. (That would be the result of me messing with my camera settings and some natural light getting through my blinds back when I had only one lamp.) Would it be possible to modify it so the lighting is equalized? Also, is there a way to fix light flicker? (The bad lighting, regular light bulbs, natural light, high camera settings,  low resolution, and lack of frame averaging contributed to this.)

There is a way to at least make the light flicker less noticeable, but it would take quite a while. It would also be best if you do it frame by frame the way I'm thinking of. It would take at least a month, but I do believe you could do it in Lightworks, albeit not as easily. PM me for details if you want.

EDIT: BTW you can color correct in Lightworks.

Mickey wrote:
minifig051 wrote:

I tried to script the first idea I had, but I drew a blank. If I went with that idea, it would be too similar to another film.

Guess: is it "Benny 'n' Lee"?

No, the original idea was called "Furst's Garden"; where Furst has trouble with a weed in his new garden.
It was too similar to "Dandelion" (I think it was called) by Daniel.

The replacement idea, "TV Troubles", has a similar premise to that Benny 'n' Lee episode (now that I think of it), but I'm doing something different with it.

Actually, Benny 'n' Lee was my main inspiration for Bricks.

UPDATE (slightly belated):

Jargon has been cast as Furst.
Finally, I have all the voice actors!

I mentioned this in the YouTube thread, but not here: It's longer than expected. The animation alone, without a title card or credit cards, comes to over fifteen minutes. Nobody responded to my question in the YouTube thread about YouTube's fifteen-minute limit being lifted or not. I'm pretty sure it's not in effect anymore, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm 20% surer than I was when I asked it, though.

(Well, I'm off to do some sorting.)

I think it has been, not sure though.
You could experiment by uploading a blank low quality 16 minute video.
(Har har)
Or take a look at the site rules.

When you go to upload a video, does it say at the top, "Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes."? That's what mine says.

I'm surprised that nobody has linked to this yet.
Anyway, it should answer all of your questions. mini/wink

Oh, it looks like I can't upload a video longer than fifteen minutes. The "Upload HD videos in various formats up to 15 minutes. Increase your limit." thing is on the upload page for me.

Looks like I'll have to use my dad's phone to verify my account.
(I have no idea why they do that. Why don't they just do an E-mail verification?)