Re: Henri & Edmond - Copyright

What camera/capture software did you use?
Also what did you do for the night lighting?

I have awesome sauce in my veins! Which i sprinkle on each of my videos to give it an extra dose of aweomseness!

www.youtube.com/NFfilmz

Holy Celestia! This film was awesome! It belongs in the cinema! Great voice acting and cinematography! My favorite film so far.

Last edited by Keesret (January 11, 2012 (09:05am))

Wow the film was just amazing, undoubtedly the best brickfilm of the year and my favorite so far, everything was just fantastic, such as the set design, the lighting, the flawless animation, the voice acting, everything! I look forward into seeing more videos from you ;D

C'est un chef-d'œuvre, une véritable œuvre d'art, l'un des meilleurs Brickfilms de notre temps.
Plus de 9000/10.
-CDP

I can confirm, being a french guy, that this sentence is right ! It is perfectly built, even though it *may* look strange. Many people would say “l’un des meilleurs brickfilms actuels” instead of “l’un des meilleurs brickfilms de notre temps”, but the sentence is right, absolutely right.

To answer your questions…

HD is a real issue with this movie. I used macro lenses, and in HD, you can see some microscopic dust moving on the characters, which is really distracting. I even used special “gloves”, hoping I could get rid of this dust, but no, there was nothing I can do. And I don’t feel like cleaning all the shots… The main audience wouldn’t necessarily notice it but I know that you, animators and directors, will point every single bit of dust in every shot ! And trust me, that is really, really distracting.

@Cheshire About the translation, if you’d like to give a hand, you’re more than welcome ! We really had issues translating things without having a real English or American guy to help us… I don’t know if it is possible to replace the captions (I mean, replace the video file itself) while keeping the same page/URL/views/comments, as I’d really like to keep all that as it is.
About the framerate, I really think I couldn’t have done more. I spent 8 months working regularly in a dark room, not seeing the light of day, my hard drives were more than full… shooting 50% more pictures would have been a nightmare, really ! And as some of you mentioned it, I think I found my own “pace” with 15fps animation. That's my opinion... mini/smile

The camera I used was a Nikon D90 with different lenses. I used NO animation software. We recorded the dialogues prior to the animation. Then I shoot the film based on the dialogue’s timing, “converting” each sentence (or bits of sentence) into moves. The movie was edited using Final Cut Pro.

I’ll upload more videos about the making of Copyright soon. I’m planning to make a documentary about the creation process, but I still have to interview all the team members ! Luckily, I have some videos from the recording sessions, shooting, and sound mixing...

If you want some ideas of what happened “behind the scene”, here’s a small video the local TV channel made last summer :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj3o6i … a_creation

Yeah, they are also talking about a playmobile exhibition in this video… you can skip it ! haha

And for those who loved the score, the composer(s) will upload the music on a bandcamp account within some weeks, so that you can download it for free (or make a donation) !

PunBB bbcode test

I too would be willing to help with the subtitles' grammar.

Sorry I couldn't have commented earlier!

As for this film, I have to say, it was one of my favorite films this year! Dialogue, great! Animation, superb! Cinematography, awesome! Sets, amazing! Just and all around fantastic film!

Now for ratings:

Story:9/10!

Animation: 9/10!

Cinematography: 10/10!

Sets: 8/10!

Overall: 9/10!! SUPERB!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I was wondering, is there any kind of contest for brickfilms other than Bricks in Motion Awards ? I heard the 2010 edition still isn't closed... mini/eek

And one funny question, for The New Neighbour fans, did you notice Vladimir and Dominique Variance (Qui-Gon Jinn look-a-like) were both played by the same actor (Lilian Ginet) ?
And I'm a bit shameful to announce that I did the voice of Mr. "I am Alive"... haha

I'll upload a small "featurette" of the shooting and voice recording within the next hours...

PunBB bbcode test

This film is pretty great. I don't have a lot to add that hasn't already been said in other reviews. The cinematography in this was one of my favorite elements, though the writing was highly entertaining as well.

Unfortunately, the Bricks in Motion Awards for 2010 didn't receive enough ballots from qualified voters to tabulate results. I suspect the result would be the same if we did it this year, it's just hard to get a decent number of people to watch 30 or so films and rate them all in some detail over several categories.

We do have contests (in which a film would be made specifically for the contest) pretty regularly on this site, though, so you could stay tuned for those!

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Absolutely incredible, this movie is now my new favorite brickfilm.  However, this movie is far more than just a brickfilm, it is pure cinema gold.  I look forward to all future projects from you.  Amazing job!

Having watched this brickfilm, I actually felt the need to comment on it, although I haven't posted here on the forum for what feels like eternity.

Firstly, I can only agree with what's been said before - I absolutely loved the movie and enjoyed it throughout its entire running time (which is quite impressive!). Apart from the outstanding technical aspects, such as cinematography, lighting, set-design, animation and -not to forget- sound design and voice acting, I liked the well-crafted and enjoyable story. I can't think of a lot of (brick)films that were able to keep me entertained and engaged in the story, relating with the characters, as successfully as this latest adventure of Henri and Edmond. Apart from that, I really liked how self-aware and meta some of the humour was.

Thanks for sharing this film, it certainly is a magnificent piece of work, and I would enjoy having more insight on the making of it!

- JD

By the way, being german, I was very amused stumbling upon the word "knackwurst" during Henri and Edmond's conversation mini/wink

http://www.abload.de/img/cooksige238.jpg
YouTube | Flickr                                 "Bad Taste on YouTube"

"Copyright" Behind-the-scene featurette !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0W7tAHtao

PunBB bbcode test

Wow, it was really interesting to see you guys acting and how you did the scenes, a few questions though:
First, how did you light the scene of the computer room with the guy who has the headset? It looks AMAZING. I'm guessing LEDs?
Second, what camera do you use? The quality on the film is fantastic and seeing you guys use it made me want it even more. mini/XD

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

mini/eek 4574385756 of 10 stars

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd489/EpicTurboGuy/SignaturKopie_2.jpg

jstudios wrote:

Second, what camera do you use?

I'm guessing a Nikon 90D, I've seen a few stop-motions with similar quality, and I think they said something about using a Nikon.

I need to leave a full review of this, as it really deserves it. Soon, I hope.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Wow, it was really interesting to see you guys acting and how you did the scenes, a few questions though:
First, how did you light the scene of the computer room with the guy who has the headset? It looks AMAZING. I'm guessing LEDs?

We used LEDs yeah, with color filters. But I think we also had a lamp or two for the background color.

Onion, you're right, it's a Nikon D90. Once you find a nice workflow, it's a real pleasure to work with such a camera, though I had issues with the lenses... I decided to use only non-digital lenses to avoid light flickers.

Onion, I look forward to reading your review !

PunBB bbcode test

Okay thanks I think I might get that camera-*sees price* ffff... Maybe later.
Also in terms of the LEDs, were they sort of like Christmas lights or something similar in size?

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Can you download the soundtrack of the first H&E Episode (The new neighbour) anywhere? I would buy it.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd489/EpicTurboGuy/SignaturKopie_2.jpg

Hahaha still laughing at the fire station scene. mini/lol That was pure awesomeness. You also beat Saminatorger's role as maker of the longest brickfilm in history! The music was also great. Tell Quentin he did an awesome job.

This made my day! Keep up the great work, Maxime!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hahaha toujours en riant à la scène de la caserne. mini/lol Cela a été awesomeness pur. Vous aussi battu le rôle Saminatorger comme auteur de la plus longue dans l'histoire brickfilm! La musique était super également. Dites-Quentin, il fait un travail impressionnant.

Ce fait ma journée! Continuez votre excellent travail, Maxime!

Last edited by Mickey (January 8, 2012 (06:14pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

omarnol wrote:

You also beat Saminatorger's role as maker of the longest brickfilm in history!

Um...actually, Star Wars the Great Disturbance is the longest brickfilm in history.

YouTube Channel Edmeier Animation
Email: [email protected]

This is definitely one of the best brickfilms ever made. Great voice acting, great story, great animation and very funny too! The characters really came to life, they're more than a piece of plastic! It's fantastic that you can make a such a great movie with Lego! Very well done!