Topic: [THAC9] The Historical Auto Championship

Directory Link

The Historical Auto Championship

The Historical Auto Championship

This is our THAC 9 entry for BIM 2011.
It was totally inspired by the 2 hour late start of the contest.
It is our artistic interpretation/parody of what went on in the BIM chat room and message board prior to the late start of THAC 9.

Last edited by thefourmonkeys (December 18, 2011 (08:16am))

Re: [THAC9] The Historical Auto Championship

I must admit, the whole thing seemed like it was building up to a joke, and so I was a tad disappointed when this didn't happen. I was waiting for one of the motorists to speak, or for someone to announce the delay...

But, I really enjoyed how you subtly parodied the late start rather than directly re-constructing it. The set design was brilliant, and I enjoyed how your variety of kinetic shots gave a sense of build-up. I struggle to execute even the simplest of tracking shots, so I was impressed to see that you achieved that many within such a short space of time.

YouTube
Max, She/They

I would have to agree with Max on this. Even though it was great technically, it had too much build-up and no resolution whatsoever. It was very disappointing, overall. I was expecting much more from you.

Okay, the animation was decent. The picture quality was quite good. Very nice sounds. However with the good said I didn't like that the entry was composed of mainly sound effects and still pictures. I was getting ready for a big race with something funny/awesome was going to happen with the race, but all that happened was after a while of waiting

Spoiler (click to read)

a title that: Two Hours Later, followed by a title: GO!

Just was not feeling into this one.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/base.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube2.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube.png
Sig made by RealBrick mini/bigsmile.

legostudiosplus wrote:

Okay, the animation was decent. The picture quality was quite good. Very nice sounds. However with the good said I didn't like that the entry was composed of mainly sound effects and still pictures. I was getting ready for a big race with something funny/awesome was going to happen with the race, but all that happened was after a while of waiting

Spoiler (click to read)

a title that: Two Hours Later, followed by a title: GO!

Just was not feeling into this one.

Actually it was entirely stopmotion, and if you had read the description under the video you might understand that this was a parody of what went on in the chat room and message board for the 2 hours after the contest was supposed to start. It was our artistic interpretation of what went on. @(^_^)@

Max Butcher wrote:

I must admit, the whole thing seemed like it was building up to a joke, and so I was a tad disappointed when this didn't happen. I was waiting for one of the motorists to speak, or for someone to announce the delay...

But, I really enjoyed how you subtly parodied the late start rather than directly re-constructing it. The set design was brilliant, and I enjoyed how your variety of kinetic shots gave a sense of build-up. I struggle to execute even the simplest of tracking shots, so I was impressed to see that you achieved that many within such a short space of time.

Totally understandable, and thank you very much!! mini/bigsmile

Well, it was pretty nice, and I see how you worked out the joke, but I didn't the enjoy the film so much. It was nicely done though.

4/5

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Tobias wrote:

Well, it was pretty nice, and I see how you worked out the joke, but I didn't the enjoy the film so much. It was nicely done though.

4/5

Thank you! mini/bigsmile

Nicley done! mini/bigsmile

I'm working on getting my studio back up and running, so stay posted...

Anteater wrote:

Nicley done! mini/bigsmile

Thank you very much! mini/bigsmile

I think my favorite aspect of this was your THAC backronym in the title. mini/wink

Jargon wrote:

I think my favorite aspect of this was your THAC backronym in the title. mini/wink

Lol, thank you, I like that too!! mini/wink

Very creative to use "THAC" as an acronym for the title. mini/lol
Also, the panning/dolly shots were very well-executed considering how difficult moving shots are to pull off with stop motion.  Nice work!

SuburbAnimationStudios wrote:

Very creative to use "THAC" as an acronym for the title. mini/lol
Also, the panning/dolly shots were very well-executed considering how difficult moving shots are to pull off with stop motion.  Nice work!

Wow, totally my favorite comment to date on this one, thank you very much!! It was indeed very difficult to do the panning with stop motion, I don't think a lot of people realized that. We chose to do the art imitating life approach simply because the whole situation played out in such an unusual way that we thought it was totally fitting, and then of course the title. Thanks so much for noticing all of that and for the nice comment. It's very much appreciated!! mini/bigsmile

The Historical Auto Championships-THAC.
Nice.
4/5.

-CDP

Nice entry. However, I don't see what all the fuss about THAC 9 starting late is. I'm not following all the commotion, due to, where I live, THAC 9 started at 8:00 in the morning (I was still fast asleep).

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Perhaps you could have made it so that all the cars ran out of fuel straight after the start line, with the winner having to push his car across the line. Just an idea, could be useless mini/smile