Topic: THAC 6 - The Bulls New Caravan

The Bulls New Caravan

Vimeo (Download Quicktime MP4, 640x360, 28.32MB).

YouTube (HQ Widescreen)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pe668/Competitions/THAC6/thebullsnewcaravan.jpg

24 hours makes for some hard work, but it was also a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy my entry and good luck to all the other THAC6 brickfilmers.

Scripting
When the theme was announced it was 11:00pm here in Australia. I looked at my Lego models and started writing a script.

The creator Ferry was my newest addition which I received as a birthday present. It also contained a red car and a caravan. I just needed some minifigs.

The Bulls are the outlaws from the year 2000 castle series but unlike all the other bad guys they never had a castle. Cedric the Bull is their leader so I have him driving the red car while the rest get drunk in the caravan.

Hence the title "The Bulls New Caravan"

Animation
It took 12 hours to capture all the 654 frames. Some frames were not used however.
In one scene, a close up of the control panel (Nick from the props department), I forgot to add the MOD element. I only noticed during editing. The keyboard had a letter A but Nick's arm blocks the view. So that scene was cut from the film.

It took me three takes to get the Ferry arriving at the dock the way I wanted. So I wasted about 50 frames there. Most scenes worked first take but on occasion I got a dozen frames in and then noticed something wrong. The only scene I would re-shoot now would be the car crash through the fence, it didn’t have enough impact needing more pieces flying off.

In the final film there are a total of 16 sets, abeit some are quite simple. As each scene was recorded the set was stripped down and re-built. I have Lego everywhere, it will take a few days to clean up all the mess I made.

Editing
I spent almost 8 hours editing the frames. There are 6 video tracks and 9 audio tracks.
All the action scenes are at 25fps and the scenes with dialogue are 12fps

Sound
With several sound FX CD's it still takes ages to find all the sounds and edited them in. I never did find any decent Nascar sounds. I could have sampled Pixar’s Cars but it all takes time.

Hardware & Software
Logitech 9000 Pro - I hadn't tested this camera enough and used a poor quality monitor for previewing. As a result I only got one scene with the white balance set correctly so the colour registration is not very good.

Capture - AnimatorDV+, Editing - Adobe Premiere, Sound - Cool Edit Pro 2.0

Spoilers (Highlight to read)

I scripted 3 major scenes but only two got recorded due to time constraints. The missing scene involed Nick from props with two Robots. One was mini-fig scale which I actually built. He had moveable legs & arms and could bend at the waist.]

I turned off onion skinning while capturing the walk cycle of the brave outlaw. The randomness this created makes him stagger and lean a bit as he is supposed to be drunk. ]

The angry bull at the end is meant to be surreal as it was to represent how the Bull outlaws saw it while they were drunk.]

The ferry construction was recorded as the last ferry scene because I actually pulled it to pieces. The finished frames are just run in reverse order to make it appear to build. The ferry docking was also recorded in reverse so that the platform lowers perfectly onto the wharf.
]

Last edited by pe668 (January 12, 2009 (01:26am))

Check out "The Bulls New Caravan" my THAC 6 entry or visit the Bodville website.

Re: THAC 6 - The Bulls New Caravan

You are one of my favourite new brickfilmers. I love the fast pace and crazy animation in your films, and this one doesn't dissapoint.

Wow, that was fantastic ! The lighting was nice, the animation was so good I can barely believe it was all done in 24 hours. The sets and props were awesome, the only improvement would be the ending - which is what I've said about most THAC entries so far mini/tongue

The technical qualities were awesome, and it was just wacky. I particularly liked the animation; I like that style of animation, and I've been meaning to practice it. Good luck in the contest.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Freaking amazing. I loved the cow growl animation, and almost every aspect of youir films.  There was a tad bit of light flicker, but it didn't detract from the film.

I have no clue how you managed to make that in only 24 hours. Great, fantastic job.

The Heaven System
Watch it now!

Shrankenhiemer wrote:

I have no clue how you managed to make that in only 24 hours. Great, fantastic job.

When I wrote the script I went for visuals that are fast to record, cars rolling by, the jet ski speeding along etc. There is only one shot which has a walk cycle, or is it a stagger cycle? And of course destroying the ferry is a lot faster than building it.

Thanks for the nice words people, it was a big effort making this film, I'm so glad someone else enjoyed it.

Last edited by pe668 (January 8, 2009 (05:01am))

Check out "The Bulls New Caravan" my THAC 6 entry or visit the Bodville website.

Sorry about the thread title change, it's probably a topic for another thread but I wanted to see how much the title affected peoples viewing habits. So sorry to disapoint this thread has nothing to do with sex and drugs, it's a brick film forum what did you expect?

I actually looked to see how out of your mind you actually are.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

I thought you had made 2 THAC films.

_2014

I changed the thread title back.
Originally I had about 120 views for a week, but with the "Sex & Drugs" title there was around 60 in a day.

Just goes to show that a provocative title can make it stand out in the crowd. I'll have to put more thought into my film titles.

Last edited by pe668 (January 12, 2009 (01:31am))

Haha, that was great, just great. No words to descrive it!

I loved this:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Maronsphotos/Lego/Brickfilms/Frames/cow.jpg

BTW, "sex and drugs" deterred me from this film.

Yechi Hamelech!

Lol, I loved your sets. And I just lol'd at the huge cow mini/bigsmile

Happy THACing mini/sunnies

That was so awesome
And the randomness just made it so much better
Great Job mini/bigsmile

-EmmaExecute

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll119/emma_execution/siggy.png
^Click to watch

3 W's.

Wild
Wacky
Wickedly awesome.

Great film. mini/smile

- Leo

I have had some internet (email) trouble for a few weeks but it's all good now.
But PE668 is no more so I have had to create a new BIM account.
Sorry if I didn't reply to emal, try again now.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

the sets were awesome.
Great film. I alos left a a comment on YT. (666eclipse666)

My channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/666eclipse666

Don't advertise your channel in other people's threads.

I can't believe that you've been complaining about coming 11th. This is a great movie and that's a great achievement.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I don't care about what place I came, my goal is simply to make enjoyable films. If I didn't receive many points then it means I failed to make a film that was enjoyable. I was asking about the rating system so I know where I need to put more effort in future.

Last edited by bodville (March 7, 2009 (11:49pm))

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

That was amazing! I subscribed.

-Thijs