Re: Plant (Updated)

Wonderful film, the cgi was fantastic!
i was watching the "break-down" video and it gave me some helpful hints
thanks!

If I'm on the forums, I'm probably waiting for Blender to finish rendering.

That was cool, the blending of CG was great, particularly in the set extensions and such.  Most of the CG looked fairly convincing, though I agree about the texture of the vines not quite working.  (Some kind of fractal-based cellular procedural texture?  I guess the issue was that real vines don't look all bumpy like that, and it didn't work with the way the vines stretched and curved in some shots) The grading effects were a nice touch, though I would guess they were useful in covering up imperfections in the compositing as well.  Way to not use white text on a black background for the end credits, that's what everybody does and it usually looks kind of boring.

I thought the ending was a little ambiguous - the guy was daydreaming, right? 

I liked the score, nice work Schlockading.  I thought it worked really well, perhaps it could have been a little quieter at the beginning as it did drown out my narration a bit.  The big stinger at 1:38 felt jarring and out of place to me, though perhaps this was what director asked for.

For future reference, there is only one L in my name.

Oh, and I'm devastated that my Christopher Walken-style interpretation of the poem didn't make the cut.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Thank you for the detailed review Philip.  (Man, I feel bad about spelling your name wrong.) Yes, it was a hard decision to choose which version to use. I'm sorry for the emotional grief it must be causing you.

The ending was difficult - you can blame me for planning it out. VN felt that the film in general was kind of vague as well, but I guess that in my wariness of being predictable or over-explanatory I went too far. You can also blame me for messing up any audio levels - that wasn't Schlock's fault at all. I definitely wanted the vines to sort of stand out as well, but from what I've heard they didn't really work for people. The texture was procedural generated in Blender (Voronoi I think it's called) and mapped globally. (You probably know what that means - basically mapped to 3d space, not the object, which is what made it kind of "bubble" around the vine as it moves.)

And the thing you liked - the titles/credits - go with at least partial credit to VN for coming up with the idea of the title in the first shot that inspired the similar credits at the end.

I should have let those guys make the film and stayed out of the whole business. mini/smile No, no - I'm kidding. Oh, and about the grading - I've heard the term used before, but I actually don't really know what it means. Does it just refer to color correction?

- Leo

Last edited by Leonardo812 (February 15, 2009 (10:18pm))

Leonardo812 wrote:

Oh, and about the grading - I've heard the term used before, but I actually don't really know what it means. Does it just refer to color correction?

Grading can be a little more than just color correction - it's the whole process of changing/enhancing the colors digitally, the bloom and grain effects would be a part of this as well.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Color correction is making sure whites are white, blacks are black and that the look of each shot matches the shot before it, and the shot which fallows it, grading is an artistic color change after the color correction is done. This is a grading example/tutorial for VisionLab studios, but just about all the concepts apply to whatever sort of software you are using for editing and effects.

That was quite good.  I got the poem, and I liked the visuals.  good job.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

Very nice job guys. mini/smile

_2014

Haha! I foud the gigantic flower comming out of the earth very amusing!

Nice work! I also like the way you tried to focus more on animation!

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

Awesome. Just plain dang awesome.

The Heaven System
Watch it now!

The cinematography is excellent. The film quality if very pure. Good Story!

Crazy awesome. Loved it.
Absolutely great job!

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Great CG, animation, and the list goes on. This brickfilm has some great imagery, and kept we watching into the credits.

Terrific job, Leonardo!

What program was used for the camera shaking?

Moo-C-J wrote:

What program was used for the camera shaking?

Most of it was done in After Effects just with the basic wiggle effect. I was hoping to do more layer-based camera movement to help simulate real movement for some of the deep shots, but I was not able to work that out.

- Leo

You use magix movie edit pro right?

Olsonstudios wrote:

You use magix movie edit pro right?

For this film I started using Premiere for my overall editing but began running into strange problems, and since I was not comfortable with the piece of software I switched back to MMEP in order to avoid any big problems. Normally I would have muscled my way through Premiere, but with the deadline I didn't want to risk anything.

- Leo

Yeah that makes sense, I just got MMEP 14 about a week ago, before that I have version 11 which didnt work on my new computer.
Just out of curiosity, how much was Premiere? Is it really that much better than MMEP? (I wouldnt go out and buy it but i'm just wondering)

On Topic: I really liked the film, the animation was very well done and the CG wasn't very noticable. I just wish it could have been longer, with more destruction in i, but I liked the ending a lot. Ends in question... thats fab.

That was sweet, the music was kinda annoying though.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

Leonardo812 wrote:

For this film I started using Premiere for my overall editing but began running into strange problems, and since I was not comfortable with the piece of software I switched back to MMEP in order to avoid any big problems. Normally I would have muscled my way through Premiere, but with the deadline I didn't want to risk anything.

Aye, Premiere has a ton of strange issues. I almost didn't finish Abduction 3 in time because of all the problems I was running into.

At any rate, that was a cool film. I liked the effects a lot aside from the plant texture in one or two shots, though the grading did seem to mask less than perfect CGI in places. Schlockading did a fantastic job on the music as well.

Upon first viewing, I really didn't enjoy it.  But upon watching it again, I really liked it.  I loved the visuals, and while the music was a bit distracting at parts, the score was overall really good.  I only had two real quirks: Smeagol's narration seemed written a bit cheesily, and when the tendril broke through the building, the bricks flew out before the tendril actually came out.  I don't know whether it was intentional or not, but it isn't a big deal either way.  Overall, great film.