Topic: MAILBOX OF DOOM!

Directory Link

MAILBOX OF DOOM!

Link 1

Hi, I'm a little new here.
This movie is my first reasonably good brickfilm. It's a mock horror film about a gaint mailbox which comes alive and attacks a town by eating people alive. Sorry about all the flickers.
Enjoy! mini/bigsmile

Re: MAILBOX OF DOOM!

I really like the concept and execution of this film! the animation, while not being smooth (Which is fine) is definitely well-done a cleverly executed. The homemade SFX and simple, mostly in-shot VFX were great and still really pleasing to watch. The light flicker can be easily taken care of by setting all your settings to manual and closing all windows, sources of light (besides your lamps), wearing dark clothes, and trying not to cast a shadow when you take the frame. I then watched "Pirates Rule!" and you have earned yourself a subscription and a friend request. Keep up the AWESOME work, we may have a master animator on our hands. mini/smile

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

Thanks! mini/smile
When I filmed it, I didn't know how to make the flickering stop or anything, but, as you've seen Pirates, you know that I've fixed that. I now use two big lamps and manual settings instead of natural light. Though, I actually still do like the flicker a little. It really helps set that old horror movie feel which I wanted to achieve. ^.^

Welcome to BiM! That was one of the best brickfilms I've seen in a while! Good job! It didn't drag on, like some of the other ones I've seen, and the pacing was good. The lighting was excellent and the jokes were mini/lol !!! Especially, "Holy Living Inanimate Objects!"
You took an interesting concept and turned it into a work of art, I loved it!
BUT... I saw some light flickers and camera bumps, which surprisingly did not make me want to stop watching. I have a very low patience for watching Youtube videos, and if I don't like the first few seconds I turn it off. But this film just drew me in (no pun intended) because the story & stuff was so well planned out. (for light flicker, I would suggest turning off all the lights and then setting up a myriad of desktop lamps around it. But you're right, the flickers did give it character, and sometimes the camera bumps actually made the scene more exciting. I would also suggest using a higher frame rate, but keep up the good work! mini/smile )

Thank you. mini/smile
I know my frame rate's not the best, but I've decided to up it to 15 FPS for my current project: "How to Not Rob a Bank" It's looking pretty good. mini/smile

one word: AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE mini/bigsmile

I need a new name! HELP

Wow. This was much better than I expected. The way you animated them talking was amazing, you must have had something moving in every frame. You're animating style is very creative (can you teach me that child walk cycle?).
5/5

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

With a title like this, I wasn't expecting too much, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The style of this film is really great - the comic animation combined with muted colours makes for a very appealing outcome. The voice acting was perfect, too.

Favourited.
5/5

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I really liked this film. The writing was funny, the pacing was very good and the animation was well done. Good job annoying noises.

Random productions
http://mag.racked.eu/image/5003/The+magic+sheep+approved%21/mca.png

I remember seeing part of this on lego.com. But I wasn't very interested because it didn't have dialogue and music(lego doesn't allow it). But I watched it here and t was great! Looks like we might come up with a BuilderBrothers action kinda person! Great job!

http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/callout_hdvideo_091511.jpg    http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/cdlc_148_rt.jpg

Very nice environment, but the walking noise can be distracting. There was also some minor light-flickering, but good job overall. mini/smile

LeungStudios

Minor light flickers but GREAT! mini/smile mini/smile

AWESOME VIDEO!!! the light flicker was pretty bad, It could have benefited from some better music too, other than that everything else was epic, I loved the BOO thing at the beginning, that was brilliant! mini/smile

"That's not good!"

Right from the beginning you had me hooked. There's a feeling of "playfulness" in your film, as if the figures would do these things given the chance. If I may elaborate-when a child plays with their toys you get sound effects, movement, and a really absurd story when different elements are squished together. Your film has captured that play-time atmosphere horribly well and you should be commended.

How many ways can a mailbox gobble up and dispatch citizens? You found many unique ways and even thought to include the flag in the ruckus. You have a creative script, funky animation style, and a wealth of voices to make this movie a very fun watch.

Some things I liked in detail:
-Your sound effect was hilarious for the rocket launcher.
-The stairs the postman climbs in the beginning-good timing. We know he's used to this particular mailbox because he has them handy. mini/tongue
-How "BOO" remains in the title. Clever.
-The fuzzy screen when the mailbox growls.

Others have already pointed out areas that need improvement- light flickers and misspelled words on the bottom of the screen- so I won't harp on those again. I did find that when I animate during the day I put thick blankets over the windows so the sunshine doesn't impede my progress. I don't know if that was your problem but I thought I'd throw it out there. You could always play the movie on an old projector (with FREE light flicker) and the complaints would go away.

Thank you for a wonderful film. I hope to see more in the future but take your time and churn out only good ones like MAILBOX OF DOOM!

Jared

Wow. That was...awesome. I love your animation style. The fact that it is choppy isn't alwasy bad, and this demonstrates it. Anyway, loved it. 5/5

Wow... That was random, but in a good way. A very good way. My only complaint was: THAT DARNED LIGHT FLICKER!! But other than that, I loved it.

P.S. TO THE NUIMOBILE!!

mini/lol

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bioniclehero/Titles/new_sig_title.png
Update Thread | Trailer (Coming Soon) | Casting Call

I'm going to take advantage of this bump to say that this is the only brickfilm where the light flicker doesn't bother me.
I watch this over and over again. The decent animation, the sound effects, and the voices put the light flicker in the background. Making light flicker not draw much attention to itself is hard to do. Good job!

EDIT: My favorite voice out of all the voices in this film is the voice of the guy in the ghost costume.

Last edited by minifig051 (July 24, 2011 (06:09pm))

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Yay! People bumping my movie! xD
Haha sorry.
But it's okay to bump as long as you add to the conversation. mini/smile

legogod wrote:

"That's not good!"

Right from the beginning you had me hooked. There's a feeling of "playfulness" in your film, as if the figures would do these things given the chance. If I may elaborate-when a child plays with their toys you get sound effects, movement, and a really absurd story when different elements are squished together. Your film has captured that play-time atmosphere horribly well and you should be commended.

How many ways can a mailbox gobble up and dispatch citizens? You found many unique ways and even thought to include the flag in the ruckus. You have a creative script, funky animation style, and a wealth of voices to make this movie a very fun watch.

Some things I liked in detail:
-Your sound effect was hilarious for the rocket launcher.
-The stairs the postman climbs in the beginning-good timing. We know he's used to this particular mailbox because he has them handy. mini/tongue
-How "BOO" remains in the title. Clever.
-The fuzzy screen when the mailbox growls.

Others have already pointed out areas that need improvement- light flickers and misspelled words on the bottom of the screen- so I won't harp on those again. I did find that when I animate during the day I put thick blankets over the windows so the sunshine doesn't impede my progress. I don't know if that was your problem but I thought I'd throw it out there. You could always play the movie on an old projector (with FREE light flicker) and the complaints would go away.

Thank you for a wonderful film. I hope to see more in the future but take your time and churn out only good ones like MAILBOX OF DOOM!

Jared

I've been wanting to say how much I loved this review for a while. Just didn't want to look bad for bumping my own thread. xD

Thank you so much. mini/smile I've never read a more insightful, and well-thought-out review for any of my films. This really gave me a good understanding of what actually makes this kinda good, and hopefully will help me to make better films later.

And if you want to see more films from me, watch "Pirates Rule!" because I spent a year on that. Haha. It has a lot of this type stuff, the "Squidy" style some call it.