Re: The Quick Short Advertising Contest [CLOSED]

DA RULEZ wrote:

A: Films being entered into this contest must not have been publicly available before the 20th of March 2009.
    B: Completed films should be uploaded to the internet on or after the 21st of March.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

NOsudios wrote:

so we have to submit our films that exact weekend, or can we submit them earlier?

As Sean wrote, that weekend is the time they should be released and not before.

However, if you have a valid reason why you want to submit your film earlier (note that submission and release are not the same thing) then I don't see why you couldn't.

If, for example, you were going to be travelling or visiting relatives or on the moon or something that weekend and couldn't get to a computer then you would be able to upload your film to a password-protected place, send me the email and then publicly release the film after you got back to civilisation.

However, in order to do that, you should organise it with as much advance notice as possible.

I don't see how that would be an advantage or disadvantage to anybody, other than having less time to animate.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

I would like to ask a question.

Can mediafire be used as our hosting site for our films

Thanks.

D.J.M.

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

Yes, I don't see why not. So long as the file will be available for a while (I didn't see anything like ImageShacks' "deleted if nobody looks at it for a month" policy, but I only had a quick look). It seems fairly simple to use.

The key factors in deciding where to host your movie would be: will it handle many downloads (possibly every member of this site would want to watch all the entries), will the file be available in another month/year and will it handle files the size of your film.

I've been looking for a cheap and easy way of converting films to FLV format, which makes it fairly easy to share (and they end up smaller than wmv or avi files) but I have not seen one.

Seeing as it's possible to upload a youtube video but only make it viewable for certain people, can this be an option?

Really?

I don't see why not. So long as it isn't publicly available then it is still within the rules. Presumably you can change its status afterwards to make it viewable by anyone, yes?

Dr Neo Lao wrote:
NOsudios wrote:

so we have to submit our films that exact weekend, or can we submit them earlier?

As Sean wrote, that weekend is the time they should be released and not before.

However, if you have a valid reason why you want to submit your film earlier (note that submission and release are not the same thing) then I don't see why you couldn't.

If, for example, you were going to be travelling or visiting relatives or on the moon or something that weekend and couldn't get to a computer then you would be able to upload your film to a password-protected place, send me the email and then publicly release the film after you got back to civilisation.

However, in order to do that, you should organise it with as much advance notice as possible.

I don't see how that would be an advantage or disadvantage to anybody, other than having less time to animate.

no, I'm asking if I can send my film before that weekend.

but hey, I bet we can.

http://i.imgur.com/kmwjd.png
[10]]

Dr Neo Lao wrote:

Really?

I don't see why not. So long as it isn't publicly available then it is still within the rules. Presumably you can change its status afterwards to make it viewable by anyone, yes?

Correct. I haven't fone it before but as I understand it, When you upload a video you can choose to make it viewable privately to a maximum of 25 people on your youtube friends list.

NOstudios wrote:

no, I'm asking if I can send my film before that weekend.

Huh? mini/confused

If you are asking if you can send me the film, then no.

If you are asking if you can upload the film somewhere, send me an email telling me where to find it and not tell anyone else where it is before that weekend then yes.

My email system can't handle large attachments. But I don't have a problem downloading files.

Edit: Ooh! Just noticed this was moved to the Contest area. Yay! All official now.:D

Last edited by Dr Neo Lao (February 11, 2009 (03:18am))

I'll enter because I really need a new camera. My Powershot is being stupid right now and won't hook up to the computer for live feed.

That is the best prize for brickfilming I have ever seen. I IS ENTERING mini/bigsmile

ryancd774 wrote:

I IS ENTERING

Good grief, someone needs to fix this boy's grammar.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

That is the best prize for brickfilming I have ever seen.

Oh I wish I was offering the best prize ever, These kids these days, I remember some of the contests on BF in the glory days where the prizes for a single contest included a copy of Stop Motion Pro, a couple of big sets, a Logitech QCP4K (the best camera at the time) and a stonkin' hot microphone.

Oh man, I feel like an old man saying that... mini/sad

I'm thinking of entering. I was actually thinking of making a Sham-Wow commercial in Lego recently, just animated to sync the actual commercial, so I could get back into the swing of animating minifigs, but I think I'll give this a shot.

I am definently going to do this contest. I am already making a Brickfilm for a commercial for a talent show at my church, so I could do it for this contest and the talent show!
Boy am I glad you made this contest, Dr. Neo!

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I wouldn't mind winning a 9k, and my animation is going a bit rusty.

Yechi Hamelech!

...my animation is going a bit rusty.

I think, as RevMen said, that they key is to keep doing it, even if it is just little snippets here and there. It is a pretty fine art and many of the members have so many other things clamouring for attention (like homework and tv) that it is easy to lose focus.

Plus most people just do this as a hobby or in order to try something new. Very few go on to use animation as a way to earn money.

I think I will probably enter this if I find some extra time. Great contest idea!:)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/klbrickmations/Banners/bobobobo.png

Hmmm... I really could do with that Quickcam pro 9000. I'll probably have an attempt at whipping something up this weekend.

Now all I need is a product...  [Scratches head vigerously]

Anti-itchy-head cream!

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png