Topic: The Magician's Hat - Septemberfest 2010

Directory Link

The Magician's Hat - Septemberfest 2010

You Tube

My entry to the 'Septemberfest' competition. I had the idea ages ago, and when the theme came along (No Dialog) it seemed to fit in well.Shot at 20 fps on SMA, using a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. Edited on Sony Vegas.

Re: The Magician's Hat - Septemberfest 2010

I really liked this, I was a little disappointed that you didn't use the real water effects outside the alley though, they looked great.

SlothPaladin wrote:

I really liked this, I was a little disappointed that you didn't use the real water effects outside the alley though, they looked great.

I regret that too. But I was very tight for time, and the base the streets sets built on was re-enforcet with some sort of wood/cardboard stuff underneath. A bit like MDF, and I didn't want it to get wet or soggy.

My personal favourite so far. My only complaint is the lack of sound effects aside from the rain. But never mind. The animation, the rain effect, the use of music....perfect.

YouTube
Max, She/They

I enjoyed watching this film. Nice animations. Innovative - not to say avantgarde - water effects. Well told story

Spoiler (click to read)

though I would prefer if the hat followed the guy in the end

. And: Again those rabbits, that seem to become the new monkeys?

I can't be staying here too much. I want to get a good education and this isn't going to help me. - StevieCollins

Quite enjoyed this entry.  Lacking in some areas but overall the animation and story were good.  Nicely done.

Thanks guys, it's great to hear your opinions. mini/delirium

willem wrote:

Again those rabbits, that seem to become the new monkeys?

Lego Rabbits evolve into monkeys. Everyone knows that.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

The Magician's Hat is, once again, the example of a morealess newbie brickfilmer emerging with a great film unexpectedly. The film it's self gets it's inspiration mostly from MindGame's "The Magician", and it is shown, however though there are similarities between the two, Filmfire stays still somewhat original using many innovative techniques, such as Smeagol's natural rain effect - used in Unrenewable. The 20 frames per second frame rate does make it seem fast at times, especially with the running sequences for example, but luckily the maker manages nevertheless to deliver a smooth, and nicely animated film. Quite a step for a beginner, so to speak. The audio is slightly repetitive with only the rain, and not many other sounds to disguise this, but luckily the music stands well. The film is enjoyable and entertains throughout, and is well worth your time.

Sound: 4/10
Music: 6/10
Animation: 7/10
Effects: 7/10
Plot: 6/10
Cinematography: 7/10
Overall: 37/60

Last edited by Onion (October 4, 2010 (09:16am))

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

That was amazing! mini/delirium

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac244/Dhizmoraxe/sparks/sparks1.pnghttp://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac244/Dhizmoraxe/sparks/sparks2.png
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac244/Dhizmoraxe/sparks/sparks3.png

Based on the title, I thought this would be unoriginal, but I was pleasantly surprised.  You had some very clever plot elements (although I agree with Willem's "spoiler" comment). I chuckled more than once and found this film quite entertaining and well done. mini/smile

Thanks guys. I can see where you're coming from now with it being similar to 'The Magician' but I actually had this idea ages ago.
Any more critics, reviews, ratings? mini/smile

Added ratings to my review.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

This is one of my new favorite Seotemberfest entries. It's funny, charming and magical! Some more sound effects would have been nice, but not really needed because of the music. 4/5

The real water effects were amazing. But one could see the material with that the had was attached to the hand. Perhaps black would have been a better choice for that.

bafran 1.9 - programming ~ 35% done ~ gave up on it

The rain effects were really good. There were some points where the animation could have been better, like when he picked up the hat and it kept changing, etc.

It was a very nice entry, though. I enjoyed it.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Just Kidden wrote:

The rain effects were really good. There were some points where the animation could have been better, like when he picked up the hat and it kept changing, etc.

I feel a little annoyed about that too. It was my film with Sony Vegas 9 plat. so I'm still learning. mini/wink

batze wrote:

The real water effects were amazing. But one could see the material with that the had was attached to the hand. Perhaps black would have been a better choice for that.

Unfortunately I don't think I could have helped this. The blue tack didn't seem to stick so well when wet, so I had to use that much or else it would fall off. And I've never really heard of 'Black Tack'! mini/lol

Thanks guys. mini/smile

A good entry, but there is a few problems.  First, the rain effect constantly changes, stick with one.  Second, try and hide the sticky tac when filming, it looked really bad in this film.  I really liked it besides those two points, a quality storyline. mini/XD

3.5/5

My Blog]       Flickr]        Twitter]        YouTube]
"Eh" - Bertl