Re: BiM 2010: Avant-Garde Results!

Kinzcove wrote:

Why did Juggernaut not win? 'The Missing Piece' was epic. No joke.

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I would say the criticisms I'm seeing are fair, if somewhat expected.  This was a really difficult contest to judge and everybody's going to have a different idea of what's "outside the box."  I am not 100% satisfied with the rankings, we really tried to compromise as far as getting results we were all satisfied with; the top three are pretty much what I would have had, but below that it might have varied somewhat.  To give particular examples, I would have liked to see Metamorphosis hold a little higher concept score than it ended up with, though I think the commercial aspect of it was part of what hurt it.  With the exception of that film, I think the apparent bias toward traditional narratives had more to do with the less traditional ones not being particularly well executed.

Just me and myself, and Sdrawckab were ones I kinda would have liked to see higher, as well, though there was always an issue of having to lower somebody else in order to accomplish that.

I would stand up for Nick's film winning 1st, though.  He really nailed the presentation, and it didn't seem fair to make that less than half of the point spread.  His concept wasn't revolutionary but it was genuinely surprising and out of the ordinary, so I felt his entry was the only one with a *good* concept (that is, suited to the contest theme) and *great* presentation.

As far as the actual scores and point spread, they're not perfect but the scoring on a contest where you have to compare films is often a challenge.  I agree with the ranking, generally, far more than I do with the actual numbers behind them.  We didn't artificially raise Nick's entry score to get it to first, in fact we lowered it to get it closer to 2nd place's score, but it's really difficult to make ratings reflect the actual differences in quality between films, especially with so many entries to judge and differentiate between.  We did use a totally new judging system this time, and I do think these numbers are nearer the mark than what's been done in the past (a reverse ranking system where, for instance, 1st place of 10 entries would get 10 points, 2nd place would get 9 points, etc.) but it's not perfect, either.

Ultimately, this was a very challenging theme for both the entrants and the judges, and I'm okay with that.  Hopefully it's had the intended result of getting people to try something new.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Pretty satisfied with the results.
OLOL NOT]

Personally I think a few entries should have gotten higher. (TIMOTHY_R SHOULD HAVE WON.)

I'd write something longer, but I'm lazy. mini/tongue

-JK

Last edited by Just Kidden (August 13, 2010 (02:57pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Truth be told, none of the films really satisfied the criteria I was looking for. It's true that a lot of them were "outside the box" in a superficial way, but I really wanted to see things that redefined what the medium could do.

Well, now that the contest is over, maybe you could share some of your ideas. I honestly can't think of much at the moment, nor could I back when the contest was going.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Ancientbricks 3D ye giants of old actually works in 3D. I have 3D glasses and watched it with those.:lol:

http://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/13/78/78/41/steels10.png

aw man i missed the chat mini/jaw

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/SteveStarfyTV/SteveStarfyTV.png
                   Smeagol, Why did you take my quote?
                          YouTube :: Twitter :: Facebook

BuilderBrothers wrote:

Will a chat transcript ever be available?

Lets just say, people said stuff they shouldn't have said, they got silenced(TY Hazzat) and NO, filmyguy didn't shoot anyone this time.(Unfortunatly) mini/sad   All in all, FUN! mini/delirium

I would have liked odd jobs to win, but I must say I'm really happy that No title 17 is in the top three, so anyway, I'm happy with the results. Congratulations nick, Lgfb and A.

Many thanks everyone, especially Sméagol and those who ran the contest. It's an honor to have won.

For the most part I'd agree with Night Owl's sentiment. That said, I spent almost the entire contest duration trying to think of something that was really revolutionary yet entertaining and failed to do so. What I did make isn't a game changer, but it does something new and, most importantly to me, is enjoyable.

Here's an idea: how about an annual Bricks in Motion Award for "Most Avant-Garde film"? Or something along those lines. It would at least provide some lasting incentive for people to try new things, but the effect might not be quantifiable. Maybe there's no hope at all...

Nick Durron wrote:

Here's an idea: how about an annual Bricks in Motion Award for "Most Avant-Garde film"? Or something along those lines. It would at least provide some lasting incentive for people to try new things, but the effect might not be quantifiable. Maybe there's no hope at all...

That sounds like a really good idea. There's awards for every other technical and entertainment-based category, I think a category for films that dare to try something new would fit in well.

Anyway, congrats to the winners, as well as everyone else that entered the contest.

Website YouTube Twitter
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mruqon.jpg
Check out my live action directing debut, The Day That Never Comes

The results are pretty good, not many complaints, oh I almost forgot, TIMMIE R SHOULD HAVE WON SO HAAARD.

Glad I placed!

I do not care about your opinion, unless it has to do with it needing more ponies.
||YouTube||BrickShelf||Vimeo|

That is an awesome idea Nick! I like that. And congratulations to you! I loved your film!!!! It rocked like seriously. mini/delirium You deserved it. And congrats to the other winners too! And yeah, mine wasn't particularly Avant-Garde I know. mini/tongue I just kinda started it, and I'm like, I guess I could try for BIM's contest this year, and it went from there. Haha. But it was a lot of work and I hope you guys enjoyed it. mini/lol My friend Jade pointed out that it was "After Twenty Years" after twenty places, now it that Ironic or what!?!?!?!? mini/XD

I've contacted the sponsors.  Here's hoping they all remember this contest several months back that they agreed to sponsor...

If you are in the top three, please check your PM box, I need some information in order to get the prizes worked out.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Congrats Nick! Lets hope your camera is compatible with this software. Also, you should update your website, I go there once in a while.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Thanks for this great contest!

Congrats Nick, you deserve ever last dollar of that Cincinnati Bricks gift card.  Man, how do you do all those mouth animations in only 3 weeks?!  mini/confused

Yay! Nick's was my favorite from the start. I overall agree with the results, well at least the top 3. Good job to everyone who entered!

: (

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

Sméagol wrote:

To give particular examples, I would have liked to see Metamorphosis hold a little higher concept score than it ended up with, though I think the commercial aspect of it was part of what hurt it.

Me too mini/smile I thought the commercial part would help set it apart, since it's not typical for brickfilms. My main concept was using only basic bricks and having them morph, and I used the commercial format let me get away with it being so short and not having a story, so I could focus on making the animation great. So I'll admit it was a bit of a crutch, but I still felt like my film explored new territory in a way that most entries didn't, so I was pretty disappointed that it got such a low concept score. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Sméagol wrote:

We didn't artificially raise Nick's entry score to get it to first, in fact we lowered it to get it closer to 2nd place's score, but it's really difficult to make ratings reflect the actual differences in quality between films, especially with so many entries to judge and differentiate between.

Interesting. Thanks for responding to all my points so directly. Judging is always going to come down to a matter of taste, and I understand that while Nick's entry may not be my cup of tea, it certainly has its merits. Again, I appreciate the effort you guys put into making the rankings balanced.

Sméagol wrote:

Ultimately, this was a very challenging theme for both the entrants and the judges, and I'm okay with that.  Hopefully it's had the intended result of getting people to try something new.

Challenges are good! I think we as a community could benefit from more of them. I really love the Ani-Exercise contests for this reason. I also like Nick's suggestion of making an Avant-Garde category for the annual awards. (Also congrats on winning Nick, despite the fact that I've posted a couple times about how I think it's overrated mini/wink ). I said this earlier in the main Avant-Garde thread, but I think all those who, like Night Owl, didn't feel any of the entries "redefined what the medium could do" should take that as a challenge and go make the film that does! Viva la revolution!