Re: What's your favourite movie?

New list. Kind of haphazard, but it works.

Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky)
Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog)
Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick)
Wavelength (Michael Snow)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Dreyer)
If... (Lindsay Anderson)
La Jetée (Chris Marker)
Winter Light (Ingmar Bergman)
Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch)
Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt)
M (Fritz Lang)
McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Robert Altman)
The New World (Terrence Malick)
The Man Who Wasn't There (Joel & Ethan Coen)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik)
There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
Manhattan (Woody Allen)
The Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky)
Forest of Bliss (Robert Gardner)
Stranger Than Paradise (Jim Jarmusch)

Lord of teh ringz, Cloverfield, and HP! mini/sunnies

Ummm... PORTAL!!! Oh yeah that isn't a movie... Forrest Gump, Men in Black, Maverick, Soda... Pizza... Lemonade...

"Doc seriously, do that one more time without warning me first and I'll flip this examination table and roundhouse kick you in the face." - Adam young

Star Wars Episode 4-6
We dont mention the prequels....although Episode 3 wasn't bad, in fact, it probably has one of the best openings to a movie ever. But these movies define entertainment. I know they are like the geekiest thing in the world, but if I had to choose which movie I wish I had made, it would be this one.

Batman 1960
COMIC GENIUS! I have never laughed so much at a movie in my life. Its a recent discovery of mine during my stressful exam period....and after one viewing I had never felt more happy in my life. Whenever I'm depressed I flick this on - no movie puts me in a better mood than this one.

Batman 1989
I prefer the other two Batman films mentioned, but its still great. And....THE MUSIC!! (All Batman films have excellent soundtrack) I really dont get why this is a 15, its practically tame compared to The Dark Knight, but the way it turns a campy guy in a bat suit into a complete Bada$$ deserves recognition.

The Dark Knight
Yeah, I know everyone probably has this somewhere on their list, but it really is that darn good.

Indiana Jones 3
I remember watching this at 10 O Clock one night when I was a little kid with my dad. I remember what an Adventure it was, and also remember hiding behind the sofa because parts of it were so scary (though not as scary as the Nazis melting.....I still have nightmares.....)

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
It was a childhood favourite of mine, and therefore I still enjoy it despite its cheesiness. For me, it defines the standards of Swords and Chivalry and it also has my favourite villain of all time: The Sheriff of Nottingham played by Alan Rickman.

Harry Potter 2
Why dont people like this? It captures perfectly the magical feeling, and stays as true to the books as possible for Hollywood standards. 3 sucked, but the series has been gradually getting better since - heck, I actually really liked number 6. Its also worth noting that 4 has one of the best theatrical trailers of all time in my opinion.

Commando
My personal favourite Schwarzenegger film. Its not the best movie out there....but its basically Arnold going around kicking everyone's a$$ and spouting one liners as he goes - AND IT IS AWESOME!!! Most of these movies I like are not arty-farty or what many would consider good, but the sad fact is a movie doesn't have to be good to be awesome - and this is living proof.

Terminator 1&2
Most people dont like Terminator 1. I actually like both of them just as much. Terminator 2 is far more epic and action focused, but Terminator 1 is much more suspenseful. Its clever how it builds up tension, and carefully plans the levels of suspense as the movie goes on, leading to a great climax. Oh, and 3 isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, though it is nothing compared to its predecessors.

Yeah, its pretty brainless.....but it is GLORIOUS!! Not only does it have some of the most quotable dialogue ever, but its visual style is amazing.

Lord Of The Rings 1-3
I prefer these to the books, although the books are very clever and imaginative. But the films cut all the parts that made the books drag on without making it difficult to understand. This is one of the only Literature based movies where you dont have to read the book before watching, and the way it stays true to the novels but makes it easier to understand and even more epic and enjoyable makes it so great to watch. Sure, its geeky, but if that's a bad thing then I dont care.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
"EXCELLENT!!" *strums air guitar*
It should be annoying and stupid, but its so....awesome. Great fun to watch and filled with timeless quotes.

Die Hard
Best Christmas movie ever? Plus any movie with Alan Rickman is immediately on my list (Save 'Love Actually')

A Shot In The Dark
My favourite instalment from the Pink Panther Saga, although it has one of the most boring openings ever

The Rock Horror Picture Show
Its..um.....weird, but its has THE TIME WARP!!

Sherlock Holmes (2009)
I dont know why people hate this movie. It has great casting, a great storyline, great cinematography and the best music that year.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
My personal favourite Python work. The low budget production, the outrageous humour, and surprisingly great acting....how can you not like it?

Star Trek (2009)
Possibly the last of its kind, and one of its best. I've only seen this, and the first two Star Trek movies though, so I cant compare much. And it has Leonard Nimroy....which is AWESOME!!

Hot Fuzz
Packed with jokes from beginning to end with surprisingly good action. I've never seen such a great combo.

Pirates of the Carribein
What? I love this movie. It has everything critics hate: Orlando Bloom, Adventure, a big budget, Orlando Bloom....yet it is so.....fun to watch! It also has one of my favourite movie soundtracks EVER!! I liked number 2 and the ending of number 3, but the series got stupid after this. I know undead Pirates are not exactly realistic, but when they went into the stuff about Davey Jones Locker, Calypso (I thought that was a dance move?) and the multiple Jacks, I'd had enough.

A Bugs Life/Toy Story 2/Monsters Inc
I couldn't decide which one I liked better. Toy Story 2 should probably have the stuff that makes it good, yet I'm incredibly biased towards the other two since I grew up with them. A Bugs Life was my first ever movie I saw in the cinema, and my first Video Game - therefore it has to be on my list. And...I dont know why I like Monsters Inc. I suppose its the originality and....I dont know....I just love it!

No doubt I have missed something out, but those are just a few

-MRB

Last edited by Max Butcher (July 4, 2010 (07:52am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

THE GOONIES

Toy Story 1 and 3.
The Incredibles.
Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Chicken Run.
Ratatouille.
The Fellowship of The Ring.
The Two Towers.
Return of The King.
A New Hope.
The Empire Strikes Back.
The Return of The Jedi.
Wall-E.
Up.
a lot of other movies, but I can't remember most of them. mini/tongue

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
Jackie Brown
Death Proof
Vanashing Point
Inglourious !@#$%^&*
Halloween
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Black Christmas
EVIL DEAD
Gran Torino
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
No Country for Old Men
Desperado
El Mariachi
Dial M for Murder
Rear Window
Psycho
Vertigo
The Birds
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Up
Wall-E
Eyes Wide Shut
Badlands
Carrie
Silence of the Lambs
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Seven
Edward Scissorhands
Mean Girls
The Hills have Eyes
Strangers on a Train

I think that's it. Got more movies to watch this week so I might be updating my list a lot.

Kinzcove wrote:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

YES!

Night Owl wrote:

Not easy to watch this film. So you're not completely lost mini/smile

ブリックフィルマー

Toy Story, Deadliest Warrior, others.

Hi'ya. mini/smile

Max Butcher wrote:

Batman 1960
COMIC GENIUS! I have never laughed so much at a movie in my life. Its a recent discovery of mine during my stressful exam period....and after one viewing I had never felt more happy in my life. Whenever I'm depressed I flick this on - no movie puts me in a better mood than this one.
-MRB

mini/yes

A. wrote:
Night Owl wrote:

Not easy to watch this film. So you're not completely lost mini/smile

Ha, Wavelength is nothing compared to The Central Region. Three hours of a camera swiveling around on a robotic arm. I saw the entire thing.

Where the Wild Things Are,
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,
ROCKY,
Casablanca,
Star Wars 4 and 5,
Sherlock Holmes (2009),
Star Trek (2009),
Batman (1989).

Those are my favorites, though I probably forgot a ton.

Star Wars Saga

Mainly because I grew up on it and my mum bought me Star Wars encyclopedias and so on. So basically I'm a nerd. The following movie will prove me to be even more of a geek.

Tron

Tron is epic. Sure it had crappy CGI but it was top of the line back in 1985, and it had wonderful acting and a great storyline. It definitely is one of my favourite movies ever.

Alien

Basically, it's just so atmospherically awesome that it does provide a slight claustrophobic feeling but the Nostromo is also very large. So it gives the feeling of "You CAN run, but you'll never leave the ship" thats pretty darn creepy. Plus the alien destroys all.

Toy Story 1, 2, 3

Well, I just love all of these movies because they were so nostalgic and basically a fun ride. Except in number 1 the part where the spider baby comes out it's so freaking creepy! Oh and in number 3 with the monkey and the baby on the swing! Eeesh!

The Matrix

Well, this is my favourite out of the trilogy because a) The sequels sucked b) The first one had mytery and has a better hook to pull you into the movie and it's plot. Love it.

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Possibly my favourite stop-motion film ever. Mainly because it feels so genuine and the atmosphere they created with the orange and the reds and yellows really were wonderful. And the explosions and muzzle smoke were so awesome! Made out of wool! Yeah I know! Oh by the way, the animation is superb, as is the voice acting. I recommend this film to every stop-motion animator in the world.

Batman (1960)

As Max Butcher put it, this film is filled so much with hilarious gags that it's impossible not to laugh! I will make some quotes now:

"Our old arch-enemy, Cat. Wuhman."

"Robin! Hand me down the shark-repellent bat spray!"

Oh, and exploding cardboard sharks are the best.

Chain Reaction

Keanu Reeves possibly gives his second best role ever in my book. The plot in Chain Reaction is very realistic and relatable, it's a little like "The Fugitive" but it still has a great feel and interesting.

Dancer In The Dark

My all time favourite movie, this is the way I'll probably be making movies in the future, having this really realistic feeling in the film, and of course drama and deep emotions, the acting by Björk is frightfully stunning, and you REALLY care for her, the music she composed for it is just beautiful, I'm never gonna get tired of it. If your into arthouse or musical films and can handle very depressive stuff, give it a watch

The Evil Dead

Is also very inspiring for me as a filmmaker, filmed in a abandoned cabin independently, purely the director's vision. And it's just so cool how they did it all with such a low budget, it's also very scary, I watched it around 2 AM in the morning it's first time, I had no idea what was coming and it totally hit me. The gore was just also freaking awesome (again with such a low budget). The camera work in this is just brilliant, especially the following camera. I just also loved the disturbness of the possesed people, with all the screaming and horrific dialogue, my favourite horror of all time.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

The ultimate Sci-Fi/action movie, it's just such a PERFECT masterpiece, it's gets everything PERFECT, story, characters, action, FX, soundtrack, I am just totally blown away from the opening credits, it's just FREAKING Epic, I get chills at the end everytime. And Arnold can act!

Psycho (1960)

Talk about a timeless horror with balls to the wall, every shot of this movie is freaking awesome, the black and white is scarely genius, the soundtrack bonescraping, and brilliantly directed by Hitchcock, The shower scene just keeps amazing me, it took a week to film that! The second kill scene is pretty hilarius but still creepy. But I orgasm over Black and white stuff, so... yeah one of all time fav.

Done talking for now...

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Hmm. I haven't had a definitive top 10 list in a LONG time. I will have to look into this...

#1 Lord of the Rings Trilogy
#2 Gladiator
#3 Bourne Trilogy
#4 Indiana Jones 1,2,3
#5 The Matrix Trilogy
#6 Mission Impossible III
#7 The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment Day
#8 National Treasure
#9 Cinderella Man
#10 3:10 to Yuma

If you haven't already noticed, I like trilogy's and Russell Crowe.

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

Cinexcellence wrote:

Hmm. I haven't had a definitive top 10 list in a LONG time. I will have to look into this...

You're back!!! I've been watching Bergman and Tarkovsky this past year, as well as a lot of avant-garde cinema.

I enjoyed the Dark Knight, but it wasn't that outstanding. Greenzone is probably my favorite movie; I love action, and that had tons of it. And unlike other action movies, this movie actually had an amazing story line.

Night Owl wrote:
Cinexcellence wrote:

You're back!!! I've been watching Bergman and Tarkovsky this past year, as well as a lot of avant-garde cinema.

Nice. The last Bergman I watched was WINTER LIGHT. I loved the subtlety in it.