Topic: THAC 7: Live 2 Sk8

Directory Link

My entry in the 2010 Twenty Four Hour Animation Competition (THAC-7)
I ran out of time before some critical animation was completed.
Oh well I tried my best and had some fun in the process.

THAC 7: Live 2 Sk8 (YouTube HD)

Spoiler (click to read)

It's repetative because I wasn't able to finished it in time. There is supposed to be a skating crash animation where he breaks bones between each hospital visit. An ambulance shows up and finally he ends up in hospital. By the time I rushed the succesful skate animation together I only had about 1.5 hours to go. I spent the remaining time editing. I worked non-stop for 23.5 hours but it just wasn't enough.

THACumentary: Live 2 Sk8 (YouTube)

Last edited by bodville (January 5, 2010 (06:18am))

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

Re: THAC 7: Live 2 Sk8

Got a bit repetetive, but I liked it mini/smile

And you have my vote.

Like Rsteenoven said: bit repetetive mini/wink But nice animation (especially the skating)

4/5

One of my favorite THAC entries. Though it does get repetitive, that was sort of the point.

Spoiler (click to read)

I actually liked that we didn't see the guy crash, I think it actually made it funnier in a way.

Last edited by KG (January 5, 2010 (07:12am))

I really loved the camera movement, and that awesome rig for the camera.

Great work mini/smile!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

I agree with KG, what you seem to be concerned about as a flaw was sort of my favorite part.  I didn't mind the repetition, the voice acting of the doctor worked well and I found the film quite funny.  Nice sets as well, I liked the way you did the character's feet under the blanket at the hopsital.  One of my favorite entries, though I seem to have a lot of those this year...

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

what you seem to be concerned about as a flaw was sort of my favorite part.

My flaw is I have a habit of writing scripts to support the animation I want to do. Instead of writing a really good script and using animation to support it. I was a little disapointed that the animation was not completed.

A lot of time was spent patching things up in editing. I spent hours on the hospital scenes so the limited frames match in differently to the dialogue each time. It wasn't just a copy and paste. I was very happy in how it all came together anyway. It would have been better with the accidents but did work out quite well without them.

I'm very glad to hear that the finished result was enjoyed. Ultimately when making a Brickfilm that is the goal.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

CrimStories

Any chance you could make instructions for the Quickcam 9000 rig you built? It looks pretty impressive.

KG wrote:

Any chance you could make instructions for the Quickcam 9000 rig you built?

Sure I can KG. This PICTURE explains quite a lot.

The boom has two main arms in parallel:
- The lower arm rotates the boom (using the Boom Axle). Because the two left axles are approximately the same space apart as the right axles, the camera stays horizontal when the boom is raised.
- The Pitch Axle levers the upper arm so it’s anchor point moves a little bit forward or back which changes the pitch of the camera. The camera pivots on the right lower axle.

There's more pictures (after moderation) HERE which show the gearbox. The secret to it all is the worm (screw gear) drive. The axle (has a wheel on one end) that turns the worm drive very easily and finely turns the drive cog. Drive cogs turn Pitch and Raise Boom axle. The advantage of the worm drive is the difficultly to turn using the Drive cog. This means even with all the camera weight on the boom, the boom arm won’t lower all by itself. So you don’t have to lock the movement or hold the wheel position all the time.
In the gear box there is two of these axle turning worm drives one on top of the other.

If you need any further help send me a PM.

Lego technic has a whole robot series called mindstorm. I built a fully automated gantry crane using it.
Have a look at THIS. If it gets a bit boring in real time skip ahead to around 3:50.

I wouldn't be surprised if I use a robot camera one day while making a Brickfilm!

Last edited by bodville (January 7, 2010 (03:17am))

CrimStories

The repetitiveness is what makes it funny. I also liked the voice acting for the doctor.

Hey Bodville,

Can you shed some light on how you dismantled and encased your QCP9000 in LEGO?  I'm wanting to do the same, but I'm nervous I'll destroy some delicate circuitry in the process.

Thanks.

BTW, I really liked your THAC entry as well as your Thacumentary.

AncientBricks wrote:

BTW, I really liked your THAC entry as well as your Thacumentary.

Thanks AB.

The 9k just has some screws you need to remove. Then the case splits in half. There are another two screws inside, which holds the circuit board. Always handle circuits by the edge. The only part I had trouble with was the microphone. It has a connector which I detached first. Then I had to wriggle it quite a bit for it to come out.

I put it off for ages as well. Eventually I just got sick of building bricks around that goofy case with all the round edges.
Just be careful when handling electronics, static can fry them. Don’t touch anything shiny. Not much can go wrong so why not give it a try.

CrimStories

Hmm. I liked the visuals in your THAC a lot (the quality was very nice, and the camera moves were great), but the story was really average. From watching your THAC I understand that you had to sacrifice some scenes to finish this film before the deadline, and I think the film really suffered from it.

bodville wrote:

The 9k just has some screws you need to remove....

Thanks for the info.  My courage is encouraged. mini/smile

How well did the guts of the 9000 fit inside LEGO dimensions?  Did you need to use foreign materials to really secure it with its new LEGO case?  Thanks.

AncientBricks wrote:

Did you need to use foreign materials to really secure it with its new LEGO case?

Nope it's 100% Lego. The size was a bit wider than 8 studs so I just had it poke out the end. If you were worried about that, just build a bigger case.

CrimStories

Repetive but very nicely done. It was kinda hard to hear what the minifigs said in the begining tho.:)