Topic: What Frame Rate to Edit With?

I animate at 15 frames per second, and then export it as an AVI from Monkeyjam. However I don't know what frame rate to set the video editor at. I have noticed that many times I get almost a "ghost effect" when a character moves quickly. (In my newest film it is quite noticeable.) Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

Re: What Frame Rate to Edit With?

Probably a setting you have in you editing software. What software do you use?

I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 10. I think it is the frame rate, but I am not sure. Currently I usually edit at 23.9 or 30.

Turn off automatic crossfades.
control + Shift + X

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

RedBrick1 wrote:

Currently I usually edit at 23.9 or 30.

Well there's your problem. You want the framerate in the editor to match the film's framerate.

Thought so, but what would that do to say, action essentials 2 footage?

mcoov wrote:
RedBrick1 wrote:

Currently I usually edit at 23.9 or 30.

Well there's your problem. You want the framerate in the editor to match the film's framerate.

Not necessarily. My clips usually work fine in Sony Vegas when editing at 30 fps.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

LittleBrick, I just made a new project and set it at 29.970, I then imported my 15 fps footage. I then exported it as a 29.970 video file. .M2T to be exact. However I am having the same problem. Is there anything I am doing different from you? What do you set Vegas at when you edit?

Cartoonkid98 wrote:

Turn off automatic crossfades.
control + Shift + X

have you tried that?

Youtube | Twitter
"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

Automatic Crossfades are off.

I tried something else, I made a new project set at 15fps, I then imported my footage. No problem there. I then exported it, however since there is no setting for 15 fps, I exported it as 30 and another one at 23.9. However when I reimport it, it has that "ghost effect" again.

Last edited by RedBrick1 (January 27, 2011 (10:32am))

If you use any frame rate that isn't an exact multiple of the one you started with, you will get some frame interpolation as Vegas tried to work out what to do with spare frames. Importing high frame rate effects into a 15fps project shouldn't be a problem - it should just downscale it to 15fps for you.

Are you definitely exporting from MonkeyJam as a 15fps avi?

0ldScratch wrote:

If you use any frame rate that isn't an exact multiple of the one you started with, you will get some frame interpolation as Vegas tried to work out what to do with spare frames. Importing high frame rate effects into a 15fps project shouldn't be a problem - it should just downscale it to 15fps for you.

Are you definitely exporting from MonkeyJam as a 15fps avi?

I am definitely exporting as 15fps. So are you saying that I should start with a 15 fps project, and then export as 30?

I have been doing some research on this, and I have noticed that it is happening to people that are using Sony Vegas, usually the Movie Studio HD line. I am really not sure what to do at this point.

Last edited by RedBrick1 (January 28, 2011 (06:08pm))

Like I said, exact multiples of your original frame rate should be ok, but Vegas isn't too smart in the way it interpolates. If you have a piece of 15fps footage that's ghosting in a 30fps Vegas project, try shifting the footage left or right by one frame in the timeline.

I usually stick to 15fps all the way through. It makes life easier.

0ldScratch wrote:

Like I said, exact multiples of your original frame rate should be ok, but Vegas isn't too smart in the way it interpolates. If you have a piece of 15fps footage that's ghosting in a 30fps Vegas project, try shifting the footage left or right by one frame in the timeline.

I usually stick to 15fps all the way through. It makes life easier.

Thanks for the advice, I tried that, and a few other things in Vegas, the interpolation is still there, however it looks a bit better. Unfortunetly (Correct me if I am wrong) I can't export from Vegas at 15 fps. Thanks for taking the time to help a less experienced brickfilmer out!

Usually, live action stock footage (like asplosions from DetonationFilms) lend themselves to framerate conversions much better than the stop motion footage you shot yourself. As such, it's wise to keep your project framerate and your stop motion FPS the same.

I don't know about newer versions but Vegas 4 definitely renders at 15fps. You might have to type "15" in the frame rate box instead of picking one of the preset options.

Unfortunetly I use the movie studio version of Vegas. And although it is the newest version, and has a ton of features it is missing a few. Such as allowing me to select what framerate to render with. mini/sad  However I could be wrong, so I will check again tommorow.