Topic: An iPhone topic

I suppose it could be, but what the heck.

A couple of months back I decided that it was about time I got myself a new phone. At first I was leaning towards an HTC, as both my parents has some of those. I've always wanted an iPhone, they just seemed so awesome in every way possible, so I checked eBay and I noticed that "hey, these iPhones aren't to expensive actually!"
A week ago my white iPhone 3GS arrived. It's awesome. I don't know if I am the only one with an iPhone on BiM, but I highly doubt it.
Anyways, I felt like giving you guys some reviews on some great (and less great) apps, partially because you may not know which ones to get,
and partially because I feel like writing something. Here we go!

Cut the Rope - $0.99

The objective in Cut the Rope is simple; get the candy to the green monster-thingy called Om Nom.
To do so, you must cut the ropes that holds the candy. Throughout the game you'll find new things that will either make it easier or harder to get the candy to Om Nom. For example, you'll find a button that alters gravity, and spikes that will break the candy on impact.
There's three stars on every map, and you'll need to collect a certain amount to unlock the next world.

mini/smile : Cute graphics, good and easy controls, challenging.
mini/sad : The game can get a bit repetitive in the long run, not enough worlds (although they are adding more).

Overall: It's a nice game, and it's well worth the money. It will surely keep you entertained for an hour or two, but there's not much to come back for when you've had enough.

Score: 8 / 10

Fruit Ninja - $0.99

The goal in Fruit Ninja is very, very simple, yet very fun. You're a ninja, and for some reason does ninjas have a huge dislike against fruits.
Your goal is to slice all the fruits that appears on the screen. It sounds very simple and easy, which is both correct and wrong. There are three different modes; Classic Mode, Zen Mode and Arcade Mode.
I'll only cover Classic Mode, in which you have three lives. You lose a life if you miss a fruit and let it fall off the screen. There are also bombs among the fruits, hit one of them and you're dead. Game over. The game is very addictive, and you'll often pick up the game to unlock all the swords and backgrounds, or just to beat your old high score.

mini/smile : Great graphics, lots of unlockables, online multiplayer, fun modes.
mini/sad : Because the gameplay is so simple you may eventually lose interest.

Overall: The game is great, and it's a must have. I found myself playing it constantly for a full weekend just to unlock all the different swords, backgrounds and achievements. The game may eventually become old, but by then you have played it enough.

Score: 9 / 10

Monster Dash - $0.99

In Monster Dash you control Barry Steakfries, who may be the most badass action hero to ever exist. This may seem like just another arcade game that will keep you entertained for a few minutes before you turn it off and never play it again. That's completely wrong. Just like with Fruit Ninja, Halfbrick Studios has yet again managed to create a very simple game that will make you think "wait, where did that weekend go?!".
Monster Dash is a sidescroller with two "buttons"; jump and shoot. Every thousand meters you'll get teleported to another place of the world with new monsters and scenery. On your journey you'll find a bunch of cool stuff, like the Badass Hog and Machinegun Jetpack. They are all awesome, and they do add on to the awesomeness of this game. Between the runs Barry will say some funnt quotes that may give you a chuckle.

mini/smile : Nice graphics, very addictive, sweet power-ups, nice humor, great soundtrack.
mini/sad : A little hard, only five landscapes (although you'll most likely not run into all in one run).

Overall: Monster Dash is a must have. It's a badass game, simply put.

Score: 10 / 10

Age of Zombies - $2.99

Age of Zombies is the sequel to Monster Dash, although Monster Dash didn't have a story at all.
Once again you're in control of Barry Steakfries, who this time has to save the world from a bunch of zombies. You'll travel through time and shoot zombies in 1930's America, ancient Egypt and more. This is probably one of the best looking games on the iPhone, and it actually has a story, different to Fruit Ninja and Monster Dash. The game is very funny, and it actually had me "loling".
However, the game is a bit too easy, and you can't choose any difficulty. This also makes the game a bit too short, although they plan on adding more levels.

mini/smile : Great graphics, very funny, nice weaponry, great controls, survival mode is also fun.
mini/sad : Too short, unable to choose difficulty, no multiplayer, a bit pricy.

Overall: If this game was a bit longer, and mabe offered some multiplayer it would be my favorite iPhone game. It's a bit too expensive, too, a $1.99 pricetag would be much better. If you have enough money you should difinitely check it out, and there is a free trial version, too.

Rolando 2 - $5.99

Rolando 2 is probably the closest to a real game you'll ever come, atleast on the iPhone. You may think that $5.99 is alot for an iPhone game, but they could easily charge $25 if they would release it for the Nintendo DS or PSP. Rolando 2 is a platformer, in which you control a bunch of Rolandos. Get them all to the end of the level and you're OK. The game is very challenging, but still very fun.
There's a lot of nice puzzles, some might be very easy and some very hard. The game has around 30 levels, which is quite alot for six bucks, and it's well worth it.

mini/smile : Great controls, great soundtrack, lots of humor, best game on the iPhone?
mini/sad : Rolando 3 got cancelled because not enough people bought it.

Overall: This is probably my favorite game on the iPhone. I'm three hours in, and I have completed about 60% of the game. Get this game, now.

Canabalt - $2.99

Canabalt is a bit like Monster Dash. You're some guy without a name and you have to jump on rooftops for as long as possible. The game can get a bit repetetive, but it's very unpredictable as all of a sudden some alien-shuttle-thingy may crash right in front of you, or the maybe the house you're running on collapses? You'll need quick reflexes too avoid the obstacles they throw at you.
The enviroment is very nicely done, as all the rooftops look different to each other. Sometimes you'll jump on to billboards, cranes or into buildings, but be careful as there are boxes laying on the buildings.
If you run into them you'll lose speed and may not be able to make the next jump.

mini/smile : Nice black and white graphics, sweet enviroments, you'll come back for more, awesome techno soundtrack.
mini/sad : Overpriced.

Overall: Canabalt is a great game, and if you have enough money you should get it. However, it's overpriced at the $2.99 pricetag. You might aswell just get Monster Dash, as they are somewhat close to each other.

Plants Vs. Zombies - $2.99

Plants Vs. Zombies is a neat game, and very different. It's very basic, as you just plant seeds that will protect your house and shoot the zombies that are coming.(don't worry, planting a seed won't take eight hours).
There's a big wave of zombies at the end of each stage, so you better have your house protected by then. At the end of each stage you'll be granted a new seed for you to use, however you can only use six or seven different plants for each stage.
The game is really pretty, and you'll encounter many different zombie types through out the campaign. There's also a quick play mode that you unlock after beating the main campaign that lasts forever, and some minigames for you to enjoy.
Compared to the $9.99 price it has on Steam, the $2.99 for the exact same game is a great deal!

mini/smile : Long campaign, many different plants and zombies, bonus modes, very cheap.
mini/sad : The night stages can get a bit boring.

Overall: Plants Vs. Zombies isn't a perfect game, but for the price it's a must have. Get it, you won't regret it.

So that about does it, right? Well, I got a a lot more games for my iPhone, but I won't bother writing those reviews for them, but whatever.

Angry Birds - $0.99

Not necessarily the best iPhone game, but it's too damn addictive. Get it.

Rat on a Skateboard - $0.99

Beating your highscore is a lot of fun, and it has a "campaign".

Rat on a Scooter XL - $0.99

Very addictive, but it can get a bit repetitive. Get Rat on a Skateboard instead.

Robot Unicorn Attack - $1.99

On sale ATM so it was worth it, but is it really as fun as people make it seem?

Score: 7 / 10

Cave Bowling - $0.99

Meh.

Score: 4 / 10

Duke Nukem 3D - $0.99

Great game, horrible controls. Cheap though, so get it if you loved the original.

Score: 6 / 10

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - $?.??

Decent multiplayer, stiff controls. On sale for $0.99, so it was OK.

Score: 7 / 10

Doodle Jump - $0.99

Awesome time killer. Get it, you have to.

Geometry Wars: Touch - $0.99

Good game, good price. Nothing spectacular though.

Pocket God - $0.99

I fail to see the point of this.

Score: 3 / 10

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Re: An iPhone topic

I'd also like to reccomend CC Caveman. I have it on my iPod touch, and it's freaking obsessive. Really great game.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

Why is this in the General Film Discussion forum?

Used to be 'Caidence'

Rolando 2 is a fun game, but I find it no-where to be the best with all the other games out there.

Some suggestions;

Infinity Blade is a great looking game. It's gameplay is simple and has RPG elements. Makes good use of the touch screen.

Shadow Guardian is probably my favorite Gameloft game. It's a clone of Uncharted, and thank goodness it actually has decent animations. Console quality fun.

LEGO Harry Potter feels like a full game, and I've put more time into this than any other game on the iDevice. Played it for about 4 hours now, not done yet. The joystick gets a tad annoying sometimes.

Real Racing 2 is the best realistic racing game out there. It's like Gran Turismo for your iDevice. Nice campaign, and online is fun. Worth the $10.

Backbreaker 2's got excellent animations (game was made by the developers who did the game engine for Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption), and it's simple fun. Even if you're not a huge fan of football (I'm not), it can be greatly enjoyable.

Tapic is the better Tap Tap Revenge. I thought TTR got more and more terrible with every new game they put out. It's still slow as heck and crashes frequently. Tapic lets you use any song in your music library and prepares notes to tap along to, and it doesn't do a bad job at it.

Dungeon Defenders: First Wave has great visuals and sometimes plays well. It lags a lot most of the time, but I'd still get it as the devs are working hard to bring more updates.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is the official GTA on the app store, and it's great. This is the best full game I've played on the iDevice. It's a port of the PSP version which is a port of the DS version. (I've boughten this game 3 times; once on DS, another on PSP, and on iPhone) It's got a lot to do, and controls work well. I only wish they'd update it to support retina.

Man I'm bored. mini/tongue

Filip wrote:

Pocket God - $0.99

pocket god only has a point if you are planning to become an evil dictator when you grow up.

topitmunkeydog wrote:
Filip wrote:

Pocket God - $0.99

pocket god only has a point if you are planning to become an evil dictator when you grow up.

Can you commit mass genocide on religious and/or ethnic groups?

mini/shifty

Ragdoll 2, free.

Save your money.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

Move this to the Coffee Shop Sub-forum (unless its current location can be qualified): At the discretion of a moderator.

Save your dignity. mini/wink

Seriously though, they have ski ball in there somewhere. $.99 if I'm right.

Last edited by mcoov (January 23, 2011 (10:33pm))

Cover Orange, free.
Awesome fun game with cute little oranges, cute little clouds and cute music.

Robot Unicorn Attack: Heavy Metal, $2.49
Hardcore.

Last edited by Danimation (January 24, 2011 (12:00am))

Ah, I did mistake General Film Discussion for Coffee Shop. soz

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

I don't know about you guys, but I am LOVING Pandora.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DaLegoMaster/Other/brook_signature.png

Netflix - Free
If you have the service, which is only $10 a month, this a great tool. The only problem is that not all shows are instant streaming, so not everything can be watched with the iPod.

Final Fantasy II - 9.99
Worth the price. 'Nuff said.

The Inception app is darn trippy.

I bought Dead Space, and it's pretty amazing how it feels so much like a console game. I find the controls just fine. And it's got the creepiness and atmosphere like the console versions.

http://theappera.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/dead-space-upcoming-2.jpg

A game meant to be played with headphones.

I just LOVE playing FIFA 11 on iphone.

Back In Black!

Timothy R wrote:

I bought Dead Space, and it's pretty amazing how it feels so much like a console game. I find the controls just fine. And it's got the creepiness and atmosphere like the console versions.
(pic)
A game meant to be played with headphones.

For iPad? Or iPhone4? Just wondering, because of the high resolution.

click->youtube - twitter - vimeosoup

We should have a Bricks in Motion app.

http://i.imgur.com/jaA3e.png
"No, please, I love you..." jstudios on Skype... <He was talking to me<              News!

What for?

click->youtube - twitter - vimeosoup

MatthewBowler wrote:

We should have a Bricks in Motion app.

I TOTALLY second that.

Tryxx wrote:

What for??

For awesomeness, of course. And to eye on what Taab is doing mini/shifty

Last edited by Thunderbolt (January 30, 2011 (06:07am))

Back In Black!

Tryxx wrote:

What for?

So we can view the website on our iPhones or iPods without having to go to Safari.

http://i.imgur.com/jaA3e.png
"No, please, I love you..." jstudios on Skype... <He was talking to me<              News!