Re: What are we missing?

LarryStudios wrote:
Stoppedmotion wrote:

We dont need anything. As long as everyone enjoys the hobby we call brickfilming it should not be of any importance. I dont believe we should be defining our films by the rest of the community wants we should be defining our films on what we like and want. As far as youtube goes I consider them to be my audience too. Frankly, why shouldnt they be considered my audience?  I hate to say it but sometimes you guys can be overly stoic and harsh. Thats not to say I dont love this community just that for some of you uppity ducks there is really no way to please. What I find even worse is some of the newer an less recognizable members who suck up to the bigger members.  End of mini rant.

Thanks to you I didn't have to write what I feel!

Youtube has a way bigger audience and if the youtube community enjoys my films I'm really happy! I don't really give a crap what the bricksinmotion.com vets think since most of them ignore my or the other 'mortal animators' existence... some of you are way too cocky... don't forget you're no stars... stop motion is a dying art and only because a few suck ups are kissin' your butt that means nothin' at all. Don't take it too personal guys, I still like you guys it's just that there are things really wrong with this community (the community consists of few great animators and a whole bunch of suck ups) and they can't be improved unless people actually start to understand the stuffs that is happening in here. I still respect these 'great' animators cause they put a lot of work into their films it's just that some of them are giant jerk faces!!!!

Cool story, bro.

Lamplight wrote:
Binding Bricks wrote:

The past 3 years or so have been a very controversial time for brickfilms.  By that I mean animators like Fancypants, Keshen and others are making great original films with an actual story line and good animation.  But this is only a few people.  Some people are making good animation but with pretty bad story lines.  Some have great story and very poor animation.  I've wanted to bring this conversation up for a while now but do you remember the Fame, Infamy and Glory contest?  That gave you a challenge.  You had to make a story, a story that had 3 elements.  Fame, Infamy and Glory.  The contest made 3 of the best brickfilms I have ever seen.  Including the winner of the contest Grace.  I want more contests like FIG.  One that makes  the director make a great story.  The ToY contest doesn't help the Golden Age come back.  It lists a theme, Tales of Yore.  But it doesn't give you and challenge at making a good storyline.  Some people could just animate a knight on a horse for 30 seconds and it would be accepted to the contest.  Avant-Guard was half and half.  You had to make a film about something that was never done before.  Some people interpreted this wrong.  Some people made films that were just eye appealing.  Some people actually could of make a story about something that was never done before.  STAR was... Sorry...  HORRIBLE.   It just had to be about space no real story challenge.

Once again Binding Bricks has blamed contests for the Golden Age of Brickfilming's disappearance.

Dude. You joined last year. You just compiled loose thoughts from other people talking about the "Golden Age" and tried to make a point when you weren't even there. God I hate it when people do that. Sorry for snapping, it's just theres too many 11 year olds trying to fit in with the Vets by using common knowledge.

Other then that, you do make some good points.

You impress me in a way that you've been around for 2 years and still you cannot narrow down a  quoted topic.  Hmmm....  Any thoughts?  And anyways who says I'm 11 and that I don't know about the golden age.  This is what I hate beyond belief about BiM.  Member's find it really satisfying when that harass newbie members about the lack of knowledge they have about the community and brickfilming.  Still I'm more than half a year old on this site and you still can't respect me?  Gawd.  Also, what kind of Vet are you?  What kind of Vet is Onion.  You all seem to respect him!?  He isn't that much older on this site than I am.  And I must be about two years older than him reality. 

Reality Check Lamplight, Reality Check.

No offence Onion, using you as an example.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Hey, hey guys, don't be this way. mini/tongue
No need to be mad at anyone. mini/smile chill.
It's okay for people to have thoughts about things, even if they're new. Accurate information can be gained from a little observation and thinking. And it's okay to be opposed to the others idea. Just please express it politely. mini/smile

The rules for "Fame, Infamy, and Glory" were that you could incorporate any of those three, not that you had to include all three.  Even winning entries often had tenuous connections to the contest themes, and "Tales of Yore" is basically a throwback to one of the most successful Brickfilms.com contests, "Historical Fiction." I definitely don't think contest themes are a problem since we've basically emulated the formula of the most successful Brickfilms.com contests, with perhaps the exception of "Avant-Garde."

STAR was explicitly not a space-themed contest, this was stated in the announcement, though unfortunately most entrants misinterpreted it as a sci-fi contest. "Space" was intended in the sense of existence and perception, and "Time and Reality" are more metaphysical concepts as well, which is what we were hoping for.

I think mostly the community lost a lot of its older membership when BiM was created and Brickfilms.com fell apart. You can't really expect the same average quality level of films and discussion from an increasingly younger community of members.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Lamplight wrote:

Dude. You joined last year. You just compiled loose thoughts from other people talking about the "Golden Age" and tried to make a point when you weren't even there. God I hate it when people do that. Sorry for snapping, it's just theres too many 11 year olds trying to fit in with the Vets by using common knowledge.

There wasn't a golden age, it's a hobby. Was there ever a golden age of art? No, there were eras. Try to think of brickfilming in the same manner. There is no golden age. To be honest, golden age is a rare term that should be only used in broad scenarios such as a country's state. Please don't go after members either, it looks bad on you and will only cause fights. If you want to keep your reputation on here from puncturing, try to be friendly toward new people. When the old people are gone, they will be the new community.

Let's get off the topic of when brickfilms were "better" and look in on this a bit. It isn't the focus of the movie that's the only change, but the purpose the film is to serve. When people did it as a hobby, it was aimed at story because people admired the professionals of today and wanted to create their own master works. But when Youtube became an outlet for fame and money became a goal for people to aim at, people began to alter their cause to money and popularity. Don't try to tell people otherwise, it's in their nature. Films became shorter and aimed at comedy because the bigger ratio of YouTubers are pre-teenagers looking for a laugh. Because pre-teenagers have a shorter attention span and less patience, they want their laugh the minute they press the play button, so the brickfilmer decided to make the humor more sudden. People won views this way and as a result, they became YouTube partners and kept this change. New animators had to come across brickfilming to do it, so when they saw this form of brickfilm, it is what they accustomed to. If you really want to return to the story strong brickfilm age, you need to do it yourself, not just tell everyone else to, because they won't do it themselves.

Summary: You want more dedicated brickfilmers? Make some dedicated films and others will follow.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Agreed.

http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/callout_hdvideo_091511.jpg    http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/cdlc_148_rt.jpg

Binding Bricks wrote:
Lamplight wrote:

You impress me in a way that you've been around for 2 years and still you cannot narrow down a  quoted topic.  Hmmm....  Any thoughts?  And anyways who says I'm 11 and that I don't know about the golden age.  This is what I hate beyond belief about BiM.  Member's find it really satisfying when that harass newbie members about the lack of knowledge they have about the community and brickfilming.  Still I'm more than half a year old on this site and you still can't respect me?  Gawd.  Also, what kind of Vet are you?  What kind of Vet is Onion.  You all seem to respect him!?  He isn't that much older on this site than I am.  And I must be about two years older than him reality. 

What is a "Vet"?
And anyway, he isn't that wrong. You can't say a contest is horrible for its theme: I think every contest has the potential of having great entries. My favourite contest presented on BiM so far is Avant-Garde, even though I didn't enter, because people had to be original (could have been in story or technical aspects), otherwise they wouldn't have made it to the final list. It's up to you making something good out of any theme, because that shows how good you are at making up stories. And Tales of Yore does give you chances of making good storylines. I highly doubt that just 30 seconds of a knight on a horse would make it to the final list of entrants. ToY also says that you don't have to make something on an event that happened, but you are free to have any story thta happens in a historical period. You can do almost everything, not even science fiction is impossible to do in this contest (with a good scripting, it wouldn't even look like science fiction). And, about Onion: it doesn't matter wether you are older than him or not, I'm here in the community since 2009, I'm surely older than him, but I think he is more respected than I am, and I kinda do respect him for that, because it means he did one or two years more than I did in three. So, there is a reason for the fact that Onion is respected by everyone, and it's because he shows to be a mature member (not that you aren't), and he did many things for the community (contests, podcast, Helpful reviews). Btw, everyone is respected (at least that's what I think).

I hope you don't take this post as an offence, Binding brick

Binding Bricks wrote:
Lamplight wrote:
Binding Bricks wrote:

The past 3 years or so have been a very controversial time for brickfilms.  By that I mean animators like Fancypants, Keshen and others are making great original films with an actual story line and good animation.  But this is only a few people.  Some people are making good animation but with pretty bad story lines.  Some have great story and very poor animation.  I've wanted to bring this conversation up for a while now but do you remember the Fame, Infamy and Glory contest?  That gave you a challenge.  You had to make a story, a story that had 3 elements.  Fame, Infamy and Glory.  The contest made 3 of the best brickfilms I have ever seen.  Including the winner of the contest Grace.  I want more contests like FIG.  One that makes  the director make a great story.  The ToY contest doesn't help the Golden Age come back.  It lists a theme, Tales of Yore.  But it doesn't give you and challenge at making a good storyline.  Some people could just animate a knight on a horse for 30 seconds and it would be accepted to the contest.  Avant-Guard was half and half.  You had to make a film about something that was never done before.  Some people interpreted this wrong.  Some people made films that were just eye appealing.  Some people actually could of make a story about something that was never done before.  STAR was... Sorry...  HORRIBLE.   It just had to be about space no real story challenge.

Once again Binding Bricks has blamed contests for the Golden Age of Brickfilming's disappearance.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kqhw0yUU6h1qz97cwo1_500.png

Binding Bricks wrote:

[already been quoted a billion times on this page]

It seems like the problem lies within the interpretation of the themes, not the contests themselves.

Riley wrote:
Binding Bricks wrote:

[already been quoted a billion times on this page]

It seems like the problem lies within the interpretation of the themes, not the contests themselves.

Thanks for summing that up.  Yes.  It is.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Er... but that's not what you wrote. You wrote that the recent contests themselves were the problem, because the themes didn't somehow force the filmmakers to make decent films. It's not the contest's fault if people aren't willing to be creative in executing the theme.

Though, actually, contests are kind of good, inspiring people to excel. Not just for the sake of winning and getting yourself #1 on the list which will probably go up on the homepage. But you'll get some cool prizes, too. mini/smile

I like longer contests like TOY and Septemberfest. They give you enough time to come up with a good script, and you still have plenty of time to animate. The problem is that since these contests take so long, there's less of them, and shorter contests such as BRAWL and THAC fill in the gaps, and happen more frequently. I'm not bashing BRAWL or THAC, I'm simply saying that they might be part of the reason why films lack creativity right now. I mean, 24 hours or even 7 days isn't really enough time to come up with a great idea, write a script worthy of being a final draft, and deliver it well.

Huh. I made "Joe gets Malaria" in like two days (school project--don't ask) and I feel it came out pretty well and was a good idea overall. I don't think it has to do with time limits, I think it has to do with people trying to make videos that please the mostly stupid Youtube audience, rather then making good films. It's like the Chihuahua movie compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Yes. I am super respected by all because of my sheer awesomeness. Full stop. Period.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I was on brickfilms.com in 2005, but I never signed up. Just like JustKidden. You all respect him. And Binding Bricks, I do respect you, it's just it seems there's such a large amount of newbs amassing. Which makes me feel insecure like I'm getting pushed aside, because I know I don't try hard enough and I don't pump out nearly as much films as most people, so basically I'm a little harsh because I know I'm losing my touch in the community and in the hobby itself, also because I'm getting into different things in life. But I also have troubles at home that I'd rather not disclose.

So when I go online here and I see another new brickfilmer trying to earn respect by using common knowledge and an average vocabulary, I get a little PO'd and I kind of over-react, I know I shouldn't, so I apologize. I'm just really stressed right now. Every little thing kind of ticks me off.

Binding Bricks over reacts a lot.

topitmunkeydog wrote:

I think it has to do with people trying to make videos that please the mostly stupid Youtube audience, rather then making good films.

We should all just be "screw the masses, I'm gonna make a real film!" To bad we can't do that in reality. Life sucks.

Living LEGO wrote:

We should all just be "screw the masses, I'm gonna make a real film!" To bad we can't do that in reality. Life sucks.

Well, screw reality. I'm gonna make a good film.

The problem is that by 'screwing' the masses and reality, you will likely not be successful. Take Terry Gilliam. He is my favourite Director, yet he spends millions of dollars to create really creative worlds and stories - yet his movies are so outside of the mainstream conventions that he rarely gets this money back unless he either dumbs it down, makes 'Time Bandits', or his lead actor dies (his latest movie was only a success because it was marketed as Heath Ledgers last movie. You know its true...)

The same can be said with Brickfilms. Everyone watches the silly comedies (which I have no problem with) and the Star Wars/Indy/Batman/Harry Potter muveys, or those with really great eye-candy (which I have no problem with) because they appeal to the general public. Only people like us will appreciate the more story-based films that dont rely on franchises or eye-candy.

Sure, you dont have to be successful to make really good movies, but if you intend to earn lots of money and get loads of views - dumb it down....

YouTube
Max, She/They