Re: What are we missing?

The whole reason this "poor story" issue has arisen is because people have been saying how a film needs better picture, and we have all criticized a film this way. some of the best films out there had simple sets and a low frame rate and a tiny resolution but they had a good story and thats what matters. The reason people began to shoot little Lego films in their bedrooms with all there image flaws is because they wanted to tell the story. But because of some event that occurred along the way, people live in fear of criticism. I recall shooting 5 fps films with outrageous light flicker, shaking sets, bad focus, and so many flaws, I cannot believe I though I was good then, but the thing was, I did think it was good, because it was a story. It was fun to do. Now, people have all these imperfections and sweat all over it because the story will not be criticized  for being proficient, the technical aspects will. there are many ways to fix this, and one way is to simply not comment if the story was strong and the technical aspects are par. Who cares about a light flicker or two?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

I agree with a lot of what is being said in this thread, and disagree with almost just as much.

I agree with what is being said about obsession with technical details, these kinds of obsessions would be fine if Brickfilms were collaborative efforts, what diffector does not what a camera man who nows how to get the best possible image, a set builder who loves elaborate details, and writers who hone and refine the dialog to perfection? However in Brickfilming the director is charged with all of those details and some of the skills end up by the way side.

I don't think 'story' is really as important as everyone is making out to be, however the presentation of the stories, maybe the 'direction' of the stores, if you will, is often very flawed. First off, I don't believe there are original ideas, anyone who does is dumb and annoying, everything is derivative of something. If you are more worried about the originality of your film then you are of the execution of the film it will suffer. In addition to this delightful 'quest for originality' there are people who claim they want to see more dramatic brickfilms, these people forget that no one can take a brickfilm that seriously, the suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far. When most people see a brickfilm, any brickfilm, they think it's funny just because it features LEGO moving about, thats the charm for those who aren't making the films. The only people who want Brickfilm dramas are a few posters on BiM who crave a bit of pretentious art credibility, almost no one else on this earth wants that.

I'm going to pick on Picturesque (my apologies to Nick Durron) unlike Max Butcher I don't think there was really anything wrong with the plot, however the direction took the plot to seriously. If you imagine the same plot but in the light of a Doctor Who style wacky mis-adventure that never really takes its self that seriously I think it would have been an incredible film, loads of fun. He has 'dramatic' sequences where characters are caught in perilous situation which must be averted or avoided by a ridiculous plot devise, and despite how silly picture portals are they are never used as comic relief, I call that a missed opportunity.

Members of BiM often forget that the movement of LEGO figures alone can be very funny. Take a look at Ham on Set at around 0:55 he throws a woman who is in a chair and she continues to sit in the chair as she flies through the air, it's not realistic, but it's funny and fun to watch. Or in Gurve Meh Teh Carndy! just the way the door is answered is hilarious. Neither of these stores have exceptional stores, but are presented in a very enjoyable way.

I really think the problem is, is that most new brickfilmers are making a film based off an idea they got and not asking themselves, how can I present this scenario in a way that is enjoyable to watch.

SlothPaladin = wise. I would also like to add that aside from the inherent difficulty in taking LEGOs seriously, young/unprofessional voice acting also goes a long way toward sinking 'serious brickfilms.' My brother Jason (aka Captain Bulldog) made a very dark film that was helped a lot, in my opinion, by its dialogue-free presentation. Of course, he still couldn't make LEGO sex not completely hilarious. mini/XD

I saw someone mention Stranger Than Fishin' earlier, and I actually think that is very much the sort of brickfilm I would to see being made more. The animation made the concept come alive perfectly, and it just had that classic 'short film' feeling that so many brickfilms lack.

Also, while I would agree with SlothPaladin that there are no truly original stories, I have thought in the past that the brickfilm community being such an insular one, certain types of stories or elements have become staples that get boring after a while. Even looking back over my own films, I can see that had I not frequented brickfilms.com, their content might have been vastly different.

So I would suggest coming up with something off the wall, and then execute/present it to the max.

Last edited by Shale (November 8, 2010 (03:22am))

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheez Doodles, and masterfully debating do not constitute 'plans' in my book - Walter 'Heisenberg' White

I beleive in all of our brickfilming careers we all have had an epic story in mind but its the presentation that we lack.
We are unable to execute the stroy to its full potential and we are then left with an inadequete story and some moderate animation. Short films are a good way to get acros a nice little skit without having a true story line and they are the reason we cant over criticize on everyday films because how are we to know if the brickfilm was just misinterpreted from the directors original thoughts or a good story with a deeper meaning they we can visualize.
Ill pick on myself with my Illusion of Reality video an entry to STAR. I thought i had a good enough story behind it but my execution and presentation were par making the whole film suffer.

So all in all its not easy to execute a film to its full capabilities but when you do your able to gain a little prestige that the top brickfilmers have.

Interbrick wrote:

This thread reminded me that I should focus more on story than on how it's executed.

Not really. As I said in my first post, and as SlothPaladin said, what count the most on a brickfilm isn't the story, it's the direction. That's what you call execution. It doesn't mean amazing visual effects, great animation, outstanding cinematography. It means what the viewer will see. If you have a good idea, or you think you have (well, all the ideas can be good, even batman parodies), you have to discover what's the best way to tell it. If you take the story too seriously, it will be boring, and if you make it like a pointless comedy, it will be hated. You have to discover what's the right way to make it. Imagine the same story of "Ham on Set" made like a drama: it wouldn't work. Of course there might be brickfilms that look good as dramas, but you have to understand how to deliver the final product to the audience in a way everybody (or the majority) will enjoy. What I would like to see more often, is an enjoyable brickfilm with a simple story, I don't care if original or not, I care about how they make it, direction.

I think that the brickfilm is successful if the director manages to convey a message across the movie, or an emotion.
If a director made an batman-action-movie (Like THIS) with a lot of masking, great animations, but he managed to convey emotion, like make us laugh, it's perfect.
But, if a director made an drama movie, more ''classic'', without special effects, but provides no emotions or messages, the film will miss its goal. It's logical!

SlothPaladin wrote:

unlike Max Butcher I don't think there was really anything wrong with the plot, however the direction took the plot to seriously. If you imagine the same plot but in the light of a Doctor Who style wacky mis-adventure that never really takes its self that seriously I think it would have been an incredible film, loads of fun. He has 'dramatic' sequences where characters are caught in perilous situation which must be averted or avoided by a ridiculous plot devise, and despite how silly picture portals are they are never used as comic relief, I call that a missed opportunity.

I suppose I worded my criticism wrong. The plot was weak, and had holes - but then again I was nitpicking, which I REALLY shouldn't do, since the whole movie is the effort of one guy in a dark room. But by plot, I should have referred to the concept and execution. I share your view - I never like it when something takes itself so seriously and tries to persuade me it is serious when I cannot take it seriously (like 'Avatar'). I suppose the seriousness lead me to nitpick - since it treated itself like a masterpiece, so I tried to watch it in that perspective, but was disappointed.

And I often abuse the formula of taking a weak idea and then making it funny because it is so weak and the movie therefore is self-parodying. None of my movies present ethical issues, or deep character driven dramas because I as a single human being aged 16-and-three-quarters am not capable of it. Maybe in a few years I will be educated enough to delve more deeply (which I tried to do in 'SILENCE', but judging by the extreme lack of criticism and views I assume it failed).

In fact, I dont enjoy making 'serious' films. Its all so serious sitting alone in the dark animating a skeleton - it kind of sucks the enjoyment out. And at the end when they dont receive nearly as many views and reviews it just doesn't feel worth it. Maybe this is just happening with me, but comedies are fun to make - and I reckon this fun does show through more easily. The same with some other comedies here. This is part of the reason why I love 'Zombie Attack 2'. In NO WAY would you consider it a masterpiece both technically and plot wise, but you can tell that Darkman and Jimmybob had such a hoot making it, and it never takes itself seriously. That fun shows through, and makes it a blast to watch.

And I agree with what someone else said that making a mindless 30 sec short is much quicker and easier than making a 10min drama - and is far likely to be over-analysed and criticised. Simply - Drama is HARD unless you happen to be a person who has studied film and literature all their life, in which case you are definitely too mature to still be making Youtube movies with LEGO....

YouTube
Max, She/They

Danimation wrote:

Littlebrick, you hit the nail on the head (I think that's the saying).

Nope, it's "you hit the head on the nail" mini/tongue

But I totally agree with everything said. The stories are now either very lame, or there is almost no story at all (there are way too many videos that are just pointless fighting).

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/StudioL30/Random-Pictures/youtube.jpghttp://www.majhost.com/gallery/StudioL30/Random-Pictures/sitelogo.jpg

Danimation had the colloquialism correct.

Pointless fighting is a way for amateur brickfilmers like myself to put something out while practicing but not really putting forth a good story.
I like watching the poitnless fights because it focuses on the animation maybe yes exaggereated effects but overall just a way to get some cronstructive criticism without having to think and execute a good story.

Reading all of these makes me feel sad. I hardly ever think about the story or how it is presented. mini/sad Makes me almost not want to finish the film I'm doing right now.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

As long as you're having fun making it, I wouldn't worry. You're doing the most important bit right.
People forget that brickfilming is just a hobby. You gotta have fun with it, otherwise what's the point?

PS: Zombie Attack 2 is my favourite brickfilm ever.

Last edited by Danimation (November 13, 2010 (07:30am))

Littlebrick wrote:

Now let's look at 0ldScratch's Out of Time. Again, most of the comments are about animation or some technical quality. The word "story" is thrown around, but despite being one of the stronger aspects of the film, it doesn't get much elaboration.

Some interesting points in this thread but I'm going to take issue with this one, and I think it's kind of key to the whole argument. The story in Out of Time is: 2 guys go for a walk, meet some time travellers, watch them get eaten by monkeys and inherit a time machine. It's a rubbish story.

People enjoy the film (I think) because the other elements are right - the jokes work and are delivered fairly well, it's filmed with an eye for cinematography, the sets are nicely detailed, the animation is technically ok, and the characterisation is established early and stays consistent. These are all things that I learned by watching professionally made films and animation and thinking about how to translate that into an amateur lego movie. If you can make the film fun to watch, you don't necessarily need to be telling much of a story at all.

I guess my point is that you can't say that brickfilms are missing a mysterious element X. If we're missing anything, I think it's the combination of all the elements in the right measure.

I really wish I was good at creating funny dialogue. All I can do is wright cheezyness. I don't like watching cheezy movies. I started developing an idea for a more serious brickfilm, but I want to make it fun. I wish I could make it funny. I think most brickfilms these days don't have great dialogue, which is what I loved so much about Henri and Edmund. This thread is helping me look at my ideas from a different angle...

I hope that good animators will learn from this and work a little harder in the right areas of their brickfilms.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12980977/sigmachine.png
YouTube uncompleted project: filming not in progress

Well, 0ldScratch, jokes and characterization are both part of the story, or "concept". The idea was also a good one, and it was executed well. Perhaps "story" isn't the correct term to be using, though, since most brickfilms aren't long enough to merit one.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

The problem is that SFX, FX and great cinematography works too well in order to impress viewers and if the average viewer sees some pretty explosions and such they stop thinking about the storyline itself more or less.
Nowadays if you make a video with no special effects you better have a good story to tell or some funny/entertaining dialogue though if you do provide viewers with OH look and awesome realistic EXPLOSION! You can get away with no good storyline....

I beg to differ, I have watched plenty of animations with good VFX and gone, meh. Unlike things like "The Pilgrims Son" series which has a great plot. And even Avatar which had amazing effects, still had an O.K. story line, not great but O.K.

You can't get away from no storyline.

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

I agree with the fact that its a hobby, and I emphasise the point that if your an incredible story-writer who writes gripping dramas/floor-rollingly funny sitcoms.....why are you using Lego? Go and work for the BBC - they could use a new head-writer for 'Doctor Who'....

LegoDudez wrote:

And even Avatar which had amazing effects, still had an O.K. story line

I beg to differ mini/twitch

YouTube
Max, She/They

One of the things I think are missing from many brickfilms is a direction. Even if it is just a short action scene it needs some kind of, not really meaning but a purpose. Many "brickfilms" I see are just completely random with no plot at all.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

No, what you are talking about are "LEGO MUVEEYS".