Topic: Geyser Assistance

In my upcoming film, there is going to be a shot where a character is hit by a geyser from a broken fire hydrant. A vertical geyser, to be more specific. I tried doing it with saran wrap, and it didn't look all that great. It was all wrinkly and clear, whereas the geyser I'm picturing is a blurry white pillar. I'm wondering if there is any other way of doing it right on set, or if CGI is the only other option. If CGI is the only option, could someone create a mock-up so I could see how it would look?

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Re: Geyser Assistance

try animating a mixture of cornstarch and water. I've used it before to make spurting blood, and have got some decent results. You just need to be quick with taking frames. mini/smile

-Jimmybob

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

I'm not sure how that would work. Besides, I don't like having messy substances near my Lego.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra

Yes, but I don't think that will work either. I don't have many of that piece, and I don't have the money to buy more. I am beginning to think that CGI is the only solution; I'll probably be sick of tough animating sessions by the time I get to that scene anyway.

Ask Smeagol, he has done it with mud perfectly (with the particle emitter, wich is very easy)

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Yeah this wouldn't be too difficult with some CG particle effects.  If it's just a shot or two I could try to do it for you, just PM me the details.  Think the Giant water hand from Cashman, the hazardous waste from Unrenewable, and the splash at 2:58 on Bane of the Sith.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Well, I pretty much said it all in the first post; I need a vertical geyser that hits someone, and sends them flying upwards. I haven't started filming yet, but this shot (or shots) will be one of the first ones I will film.

For things like this, I prefer practical effects. Even if they do ultimately look a bit cheap. You could maybe do something with clear drinking straws if you can find them - split one end into several strips, have a few different lengths and alternate them. Maybe straws for support and saran wrap for ripple effects?

you can easily do this by using the trapcode particular plugin for AE.

http://i.imgur.com/kmwjd.png
[10]]

A combination of saran wrap and tin foil?

GET DA BOOM MICROPHONE OUT OV MA FAAAACCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you could use one or more of the physical methods listed by the guys above and combine that with a CGI geyser to create the effect if necessary?

Last edited by DarthVincentPrice (February 13, 2009 (08:12pm))

"Heal the world.  Make it a better place...." -Michael Jackson
"I like to stroke them." -Hazzat
http://bit.ly/jzKLdD ←YouTube!
-Jedi Master, DarthVincentPrice, who's retired...again... from the animation. Voicing's still a go!

Gospelnut wrote:

A combination of saran wrap and tin foil?

The problem with those is that they get all wrinkly, and a geyser is going to fast for it to look wrinkly.