Topic: Best Bricks For Sets?

Hey, this is my first real post besides the introductory one... lol

Anyway, I'm a bit new to designing/creating large sets... I've done all of my brickfilms up until now with small, zoomed in sets. I've recently been taking the steps to achieve a larger workspace for larger sets. I've bought several base plates and now I need the bricks themselves.
I really need to know what kind of bricks to buy for building and set designs and how many of them. I recently bought a Basic Brick Box Deluxe (I think that's what it was called) that contained about 650 random bricks of different colors. It cost me about $40 from the Lego website and it is hardly enough to make a small building. I'm horrible at building with Lego bricks anyway mini/rolleyes mini/smile

Any tips and helpful advice would also be greatly appreciated mini/smile

Thanks!

Re: Best Bricks For Sets?

Well, you can buy bricks that are made to look like the walls of some environments. One type that i know is the cave wall. If you buy enough of those, you can make a full cave. I'm sure you can probably find other bricks similar to this. But whatever you do, remember that you should build only what the camera sees. I hope this helps. mini/smile

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

www.bricklink.com is a great place to go for LEGO pieces, especially in bulk.
If you want to learn how to build better, look at neat stuff other people build for inspiration. Read The Brothers Brick and browse through LEGO pictures on www.flickr.com.
The Creator sets tend to be good sets with high price-to-piece counts, plus you can adapt the buildings for your backdrops.

Thanks guys mini/bigsmile
Also - What kind of brick do you personally prefer for walls? One stud width or two stud width?

I usually use both, the two studded for the bottom portion of the wall, the one studded for the upper portion of the wall.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

My answer is: buy lots of 2x4 bricks in any color you want. Also, buy some decorative bricks for deatails.

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.

It's best to make buildings out of one primary color and possibly a stripe of another color through it.  It usually looks best when there aren't lots of different colors mixed together so make sure to get enough of one color to build a whole building.  The advice "build only what you can see in the film" was tough for me to follow.  In fact, I think my Thac 7 failed because I built parts of the set that weren't even in the final film.  Anyway, welcome to BiM.

Hey! Welcome to BiM!!

What I would reccomend for interior sets (A living room for example) is a very neutral colour, one that's easy on the eyes.

Bright red or yellow may be a bit bright, and red can be a bad colour for cameras, so I'd reccomend Tan, Grey, and any colour with the word "Sand" before it, such as Sand Blue or Sand Red.

Good luck dude!!

Thanks for all the feedback mini/bigsmile I think I'll go with the idea of buying a ton of 2 x 4s. Thanks for all the helpful tips!