Topic: NaNoWriMo - the month of Writing

Anybody doing NaNoWriMo this year?

For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo is an annual event whereby participants attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in 31 days, during the month of November.

It can be exciting, scary, exciting and depressing but most people have some fun with it. The race is only with yourself, to see if you can do it.

The reason? Well, the idea is that there are many people who want to be writers but never get around to starting. The point of NaNoWriMo is to just force yourself to write like mad and focus on quantity over quality.

Why would anybody do that? Because almost nobody is a good writer to start with. Like anything, if you want to be good, you have to practice. So getting into the habit of writing something can be a big boost to people who want to be writers (or people who want to give it a try to see if they like it).

Will your NaNoWriMo novel be good? Probably not - but that's not the point! The point is to get started rather than waiting for some nebulous future time. Just look at this post - I've written way more than is needed to convey this information - I need more practice!

Is it for everybody? No, not really. There are many people who have no desire or interest in writing. But I'd say that most people ought to give it a go. Most decent sized cities would have groups of people doing it that you might be able to meet up with. There are many who start and don't go through with it - but so what? At least give it a go and have some fun.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

Re: NaNoWriMo - the month of Writing

Yeah, I'm doing it. I did it last year

I would, but I'm currently taking a writing class and I'm already having a hard time with that, getting assignments in on time and stuff. I'd love to do this sometime in the future, though.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I'll do it this year. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Again, just like last year, I would love to do this, but I already have enough work to do. Its a great idea, but I would never be able to squeeze out a novel when I have coursework to do.

YouTube
Max, She/They

I've wanted to do this for a few years, but it's going to have to wait until I graduate.

I would if they accept Italian language. But I prefer short stories to big and long novels.

I'll enter if I get time. Most likely a fantasy idea I have.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

I tried last year, but I couldn't....still working on that novel, too...:P I might try this year, but I doubt it. School is too crazy.

AniExer-size 2 contest entry: The QuickcamPro 9000.
View it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf7cLSIjznI

Totally going to at least attempt this.

It is a pretty big ask for those who are studying, but there's no reason why you couldn't do something similar at another time of the year. There are a variety of different "WriMo" clones around, though none as large and organised as the original one.

Good to see a few people willing to give it a go. mini/bigsmile

I'll give it a try this year. I was never into writing years ago when I first discovered NaNoWriMo.

mini/bigsmile

I would if they accept Italian language.

You can write in any language you want, even Klingon. The only caveat is that the automated word-count mechanism (where you can upload your story and it verifies that you have 50,000 words) uses utf8 encoding (letters a to z and 0 to 9) so if you wrote a novel in, say, ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics then you'd have a bit of difficulty.

In the end, the race is only with yourself. You could easily write one paragraph then copy and paste it until you had enough words, but what would be the point? It's about having fun and giving it a go.

I am! mini/bigsmile

This would be my fifth year doing it. I really enjoy doing nanowrimo.

Hey, cool. November's started.

How'd it go for you guys?

I failed. mini/sad

Got around 49,254 words. Which does not sound too bad, but most of what I ended up writing was drivel. Very not happy with it.

I need to write more, but I am very time poor at the moment.

It's okay. I quit around 3,000. Instead, I'm developing it into a screenplay, though! mini/delirium

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!