Re: Books!

Night Owl wrote:

!@#$ may be a good bedtime companion, but nothing compares to a night of Kant.

Ugh... I hate reading philosophy if that's what you're talking about...
EDIT: Ohhh. That's gross. Perverts...

I just read all of the sequels of 2001: A Space Odyssey. They are really great books, a lot different than most sci-fi, but still really beautifully written.

I read Oliver Twist, WORST BOOK EVER! I had to read it for school and I was all like what the heck is going on now what now? AGH!

I just started reading War of the Worlds, but I haven't very far.

At school we're reading Alice in Wonderland. Now there is a great classic. Someone needs to make a brickfilm version... But seriously, I lol'd the whole time. For realz.

Night Owl wrote:

True, true.

New sig coming soon...

Along with brickfilms...

crazylegofan wrote:
Night Owl wrote:

True, true.

Kant is so much long nineteenth century. Typical Hipster reading. I say nothing gives you a sweeter goodnight kiss than some Minima Moralia!

ブリックフィルマー

Oh, come on! Kant is so much better than that.

New sig coming soon...

Along with brickfilms...

I didn't get the german pronunciation joke so fast... mini/eh

ブリックフィルマー

Hipsters are into Kant? Kind of think new French theory would be more their thing. I, for one, really enjoy Roland Barthes.

Foundation By Isaac Asimov 
The Northern Lights By Philip Pullman

Those two books are probably my favourite books of all time, Ive read them both countless times and highly recommend them. I also read all of Foundations subsequent novels aswell over the course of 2 years. Rendezvous With Rama is also a great book along with all the Space odyssey novels (3001 and 2010 are my favourites).

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6055/6222879608_7afe011386_m.jpg

Space Odyssey books FTW!
I read all of them and they are pretty much the most awesome books I ever read. My favorite were the first two. And I can't believe that almost nobody at my school has read them, or even seen the movie!
I am reading War of the Worlds and it's pretty funny. mini/blankexpression

2001: A Space Odyssey is literally my favourite movie of all time. I despise people who switch it off half way and then say its boring because they simply dont understand the film and want some terrible modern action movie with no plotline. Anyway, back to books.

Science Fiction books are probably my favourite lol

fireguy789 wrote:

2001: A Space Odyssey is literally my favourite movie of all time. I despise people who switch it off half way and then say its boring because they simply dont understand the film

It's not an easy movie to digest. Most people like films that actually tell them explicitly what's going on. 2001 leaves a lot of questions, and does it deliberately. People don't really like that, as demonstarted by the fact that everyone was pissed off there was no clear-cut ending to Inception.

How can it be your favourite movie figuratively?

Riley wrote:

2001 leaves a lot of questions, and does it deliberately. People don't really like that, as demonstarted by the fact that everyone was pissed off there was no clear-cut ending to Inception.

Indeed, I like movies that raise questions because it gives you something to think about. I thought Inception had a pretty good cliff hangar ending and I really hope Nolan doesn't make a sequel to it and kill that ending. For me the best thing about Space Odyssey was the atmosphere and the questions it raised, although I dont know what Kubrick was on when he made the ending star tunnel sequence.

Fight Club also had one of those endings. Im guessing that's why I'm one of the few that liked it the first viewing, because the majority of people really hate those endings. I find those kinds of endings subtle and artsy.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DaLegoMaster/Other/brook_signature.png

Apparently, that was supposed to be an alien hypnotic trance thingy. Yeah, they said that on the commentary. I watched the entire movie. WITH COMMENTARY.

mini/eek

I don't think Fight Club really left you with any questions at the end... at least, I didn't have any. (The movie was adapted from a book, so technically I'm on-topic here.)

I picked up that book once in a store and had to put it down immediately; the writing style is awful IMO.

Fight Club didn't leave me with any questions either. Love the movie, though, and I thought the book was pretty good.

I think the ending was more like "What happens next?" questions than questions about the main storyline. The ending was also kind of abrupt, so that probably got people ticked off too.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DaLegoMaster/Other/brook_signature.png

I loved the ending.

Anyway, I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It was a good final book, though I felt it was somewhat too long, but not much. Some things were also predictable like

Spoiler (click to read)

Harry being a horcrox

and

Spoiler (click to read)

Snape not actually being a traitor

. The

Spoiler (click to read)

19 years later

ending was kind of awkward. And is it just me or was there a Jesus parallel going on?
EDIT: Also, the

Spoiler (click to read)

death of Voldemort

was a bit anticlimatic. And then I meant he exact scene where he

Spoiler (click to read)

died

, because the last 150 pages were a giant climax, it was kind of anticlimax within a huge climax.

Last edited by Pillow (June 29, 2011 (04:00pm))

Has anyone read the Thomas Covenant series? I'm going to check the first book out from the library soon (as in tomorrow) and it seems fun to read. And yes, I do know that it is by no means easy to read either. mini/wink

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png