Topic: Bad words in chat

I have been kicked before for having said words which I wouldn't consider swearing, not just because of where I live but because the word just isn't bad.
brick would be one of these words, it is the proper and excepted name for a man's genitalia. I believe that anyone from the age of 13 would be able to understand that that word is not bad.
There are other words that also get people kicked because they mean multiple things like a$$ which means donkey here.
I will admit that a couple of times I went in chat , I got away with swearing with British swear words (not that I do that any more), which doesn't seem awfully fair.
I simply think there should be a rethink of what words are included, add more international words and remove the ridiculous words.
And maybe instead of leaving it up to mouldy to kick you should give that job to the moderators, who can make a decision on fair use of a word. After all mouldy can't tell if your posting a link to a form of British meat ball or if your calling someone a homosexual can he?

Re: Bad words in chat

Ah but the site is family friendly and anything having to do with a pen** is most likely not family friendly. Same thing for your problem. All in all the site just wants you to avoid discussion of unfamily-friendly topics mini/wink

-Tejas VIM

I think the reason the word !@#$%^ is banned in chat is because nobody ever uses it referring to a form of British meat ball and pretty much every single time it is used it refers to the pejorative term for homosexual. I've never in my life seen the use of that word refrring to the meat ball thing.

The thing is that there are certain words that are used almost exclusively in a bad or inappopriate-for-chat-talk context. Words like brick, vagina and especially !@#$%^ are part of that word. The chance of someone using a word like this in any context that can be considered appropriate is so low that it makes sense that they are censored. If you want to discuss forms of British meatballs, it's fairly easy to use synonyms.

Well I don't really want a discussion about it, I would just like for the site moderators to think about what I said. But the other problem is that it is just to easy to place an @ in that meat ball word or add an extra g and it gets through the filter (which I witness someone doing today).

TDogg186 wrote:

Well I don't really want a discussion about it, I would just like for the site moderators to think about what I said. But the other problem is that it is just to easy to place an @ in that meat ball word or add an extra g and it gets through the filter (which I witness someone doing today).

So because people do their best to work their way around censored words so they can use the pejorative term anyways, the censor filter should be abolished? Pretty far fetched. I'll tell you what: as soon as the word !@#$%^ stops being primarily used internationally as a swear word with a meaning similar to homosexual and starts being used primarily referring to some kind of obscure type of British meat ball, it'll go out of the word censor.

What you bring up is something that people have thought about already - while working on the word filter, and even before that. The simple fact of the matter is that !@#$%^ is never used to refer to meat balls on the internet, but to a whole different kind of balls. As such, it should be censored.

There is always the possibility that a censored word poses a problem when used in certain contexts, but in many cases (including this particular one) the positives of a word filter outweigh the negatives by far.

TDogg186, if you know in America it is called a meat ball. Then why bother complaining about the world @#*&^% if you know the nicer more appropriate way of saying it. mini/smile

Yeah, the only time that somebody uses said word to refer to a cigarette or, in theory, this meat ball thing I've never heard of is to complain about it being censored -- even though it's not a word this person would use him/herself, based on the fact they've never used it in chat except to complain that it's censored -- the rest of the time it's used in the pejorative sense.  We can't have a mod in the chat 24 hours a day, so while we do our best to monitor it, having a bot to kick people for language is generally helpful/necessary.  As for brick, we were having problems with lewd sexual discussions occurring in chat so we put that in place to prevent it from continuing.  Such subject matter is against the site rules, anyway, so there's really no legitimate reason to be using this word in the chat.  The chat censor only allows for up to 40 words so we had to leave a few of the more exotic terms out of it and focus on words that are more frequently abused.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Yeah, who calls meat balls that anyways?

BertL wrote:

So because people do their best to work their way around censored words so they can use the pejorative term anyways, the censor filter should be abolished?

No no no, I just think that mouldy's list of bad words should be improved. I think you were there when Yoder called vik that word but with an extra g in it. I then posted a link to the wikipedia page explaining what that popular Midlands meat ball is but got kicked because the word was in the link. Yoder didn't get kicked by mouldy though did he?

Who is Mouldy? A bot?

I think every "bad word" from every country should be censored.

Unless it's something rediculous, like if "Car" was offensive in Thailand...

It's not, but I needed an example.

TDogg186 wrote:

I will admit that a couple of times I went in chat , I got away with swearing with British swear words (not that I do that any more), which doesn't seem awfully fair.

Lets focus on this then because it is the issue that I made the thread for in the first place.

Sméagol wrote:

The chat censor only allows for up to 40 words so we had to leave a few of the more exotic terms out of it and focus on words that are more frequently abused.

When you get through the common variants of the major words, this doesn't leave a lot of room.  The forum filter, by comparison, has about 75 words in it.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Ah ok, I see.

It wasnt Vik you now it was Vim mini/tongue me mini/wink

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Please excuse that double post, it was obviously a glitch.

So, is Mouldy a bot?

Yes, obviously/

Not really. mini/tongue