Re: YouTube

Eh, I'll probably stay with Youtube, just because of the larger fan base. Plus, I quite like the new channels (and I haven't really had problems with Youtube, ever. Heck, they even responded to my complaints incredibly quickly!). I'll maybe make an account on Vimeo sometime, just because.

EDIT: I found an interesting reply on Reddit. These are not my words, although they do give a pretty good argument:

You bring up the fact that even PLUS (paid) users have upload limits. Unless all of your work is really short, quality will absolutely be limited by having to encode yourself for size rather than quality.
In these situations youtube is far and away better. I have samples of 720P footage (from a 15 min film) that look better at 720P on youtube.
At it's best, vimeo does far surpass youtube. But this can be problematic. Vimeo doesn't give you (PLUS USER) (or viewers) enough control over the quality settings. Sure, you can make your videos use the best encoding in glorious 1080p. but that's ALL your viewers will be shown, alongside the SD stream. No choice to go to 720P or even a lower quality (default) 1080P. This HQ stream is way more than a lot of modern netbooks, lower-end laptops and nearly all of the PCs in the corporate world can handle. So no hope for that glorious HD for them on Vimeo. You're stuck choosing between quality and viewerbase. Youtube can serve them HD content much better (although HD content is always problematic on low end machines).
I have extensive experience on both platforms. Vimeo is better for shorter, visually intense pieces. (Demo reels, etc). Youtube is much better as a content distributor.
Combined with the EULA of vimeo (restricting content) YouTube, in my opinion, wins.

EDIT 2: I forgot to add, I do think that Vimeo is more professional, like a portfolio. I however prefer to keep my videos in a single place, and I don't really have the time/motivations to run two video sites (I have a hard time keeping up with what I have now!). If Vimeo does become more mainstream, I'll join, but for now I just come there occasionally as a mere visitor, because some of the content on there is just fabulous (Youtube has that two, but it's harder to find). Anyway, I personally think that overall, Youtube is better, but if you want to build a portfolio to showcase your videos professionally, Vimeo wins. Ah well, we'll see how it all turns out!

EDIT 3: Good god at the edits! I found a good video going over the pros and cons. Check it out: Link

EDIT 4: Another one?! Anyway, to steer the onversation in another way, does anybody also have a red bar at the top that shows how far the page has loaded? It quite like it!
0.02c

Last edited by Keesret (June 13, 2013 (01:01pm))

So let me describe Youtube in a nutshell;
Facebook with videos
that's it , and it totally ruins it by using your whole name , channel banner and not at least Gmail. mini/madhead

facebook with videos

Yeah, KT, that's just it.

Last edited by Mickey (June 14, 2013 (07:14am))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

facebook with videos

Yeah, KT, that's just it.

No wonder I hate it so much.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Can this thread please not spiral into a somewhat silly Youtube hating arena, please? Youtube has a large heap of problems, but it offers us an unparalleled service that we should all be greatful for.

Nobody ever talks about Daily motion. How is that website? I've only used it once, when youtube removed the Friendship is Witchcraft series and they had to re-upload it.

Carousel you are right but it's sooooo fun to hate youtube! I think the root of the problem is: most everyone's excuse for using youtube is "everyone else uses it too!" I think if we leave youtube for the "facebook with videos" people an migrate to a different place eventually people'd be happier. Hah. Like that will ever happen. It's a question of motivation and the answer is probably not.

I'm almost positive that, if we all migrated from Youtube to a place like Vimeo or DailyMotion, people would have their own complaints about that new website. Remember, all the people that make Youtube a sometimes unfriendly place would go there, as well. And the company that owns that website may start doing the same things that make people dissatisfied with Youtube. Eventually, everyone would get fed up and want back onto Youtube. History repeats itself.

I'm personally fine with Youtube. I enjoy making my videos and watching the varied content that is on the site. While, yes, Vimeo has more serious, semi-professional short films that I enjoy, that is not always what I'm looking for. Sometimes I want to watch a game review, or one of the many very strange videos that end up there. Not saying that I do not like Vimeo, I just like a huge variety. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

And as for Daily Motion, topit, you know how people complain about how Youtube is full of sponsored videos, advertisements and all that? Ya, YouTube has got nothing on DailyMotion in that department.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

It's French, and I've never used it. Loic F-B is on there, as well as on YouTube.

Update
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM3wqCrjs1I

Man, Kingston. You seem to be handling these YouTube problems well. You're telling them that you can't be stopped; you're gonna keep on going!

Sonjira wrote:

I'm almost positive that, if we all migrated from Youtube to a place like Vimeo or DailyMotion, people would have their own complaints about that new website. Remember, all the people that make Youtube a sometimes unfriendly place would go there, as well. And the company that owns that website may start doing the same things that make people dissatisfied with Youtube. Eventually, everyone would get fed up and want back onto Youtube. History repeats itself.

for me it's not the people on youtube, it is the people running it.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

is it just me or is youtube going a little weird right now?

MrMingleProductions wrote:

is it just me or is youtube going a little weird right now?

YouTube's weird all the time; or is it something specifically weird that you noticed?

ohhh its okay now mini/wink, just youtube stopped working for a bit, and kept on showing error when I tried to go on my channel or open my sub box mini/confused

All right! I'm now on Vimeo! No more YouTube for me, I'm done with it. VIMEO for the win!!!

I feel much more motivated to go and brickfilm now that I'm on Vimeo! I feel happy. mini/smile

I'm having issues with the changing my channel art. I go Edit Channel Art> select a photo from your computer> New Animations Logo (name of picture)> open. The little progress bar pops up for a split second then, a note at the top of the window says "There was an upload error. Make sure to upload a JPG, GIF, or PNG file and try again." I know for sure the file I chose was a jpeg. I wasn't sure what to do so I renamed it "New Animations Logo.jpg" (adding the .jpg) I tried it again and the same happened. I also tried it as a png file, still nothing. Help? Is it a bug with YouTube, or am I doing something wrong?

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Legocloniac477 wrote:

I'm having issues with the changing my channel art. I go Edit Channel Art> select a photo from your computer> New Animations Logo (name of picture)> open. The little progress bar pops up for a split second then, a note at the top of the window says "There was an upload error. Make sure to upload a JPG, GIF, or PNG file and try again." I know for sure the file I chose was a jpeg. I wasn't sure what to do so I renamed it "New Animations Logo.jpg" (adding the .jpg) I tried it again and the same happened. I also tried it as a png file, still nothing. Help? Is it a bug with YouTube, or am I doing something wrong?

It might be  a too big file size....maybe

Alright, I've pushed through all these updates and Google Plus crap and not really cared.

But now you can't comment on any videos without connecting a Google Plus account. Just....what.

Chris W. wrote:

But now you can't comment on any videos without connecting a Google Plus account. Just....what.

Eh? I can comment just fine, and I don't have any Google+ things. Were you logged in as your G+ YouTube account or your actual YouTube account (I think there 's some sort of difference, similar to how you then have to pages. It's really weird.)? I'm no expert, but I think something went wrong on your end, or I'm just lucky to be able to comment.

Sonjira wrote:

you know how people complain about how Youtube is full of sponsored videos, advertisements and all that? Ya, YouTube has got nothing on DailyMotion in that department.

i still dont understand why people dont just get adblocker

http://i.snag.gy/E3VvB.jpg
"Right. He deserves for it to not display right" — Sméagol
YouTube | Google+ | Vimeo | Flickr | Twitter