Re: LEGO Cannes Film Comp

BuilderBrothers wrote:

Where can you see the other entries?

My Blog]       Flickr]        Twitter]        YouTube]
"Eh" - Bertl

I think they'll probably be online sometime next week, they're not public at the moment.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

No surprise a film wins it. I thought it would. There was a real opportunity lost with this competition.
I watched all the winners and it's the same !@#$ I see on my TV every day of the week.
What happended to originality and creativity?
Given the big Bim Names that entered I really hope a brickfilm or two picks up some minor awards.

As for the winner, well done. Cute kid, cute story.
It's just the sort of rubbish that any advertising company anywhere in the world would make for any client.

You can’t have manslaughter without the laughter!

Yeah, the prompt does ask for the commercials to connect to viewers emotionally, so I figured live action (and young children) are kind of a pre-requisite there for a short commercial.

Naturally, my entry did include live action and young children.

What a great short.

Total bs that a brickfilm didn''t win I mean... come on.

Wow that was actually better than I thought it would be. A bit sweet for my taste but way better than what I created and in half the time I would guess.
As for connecting emotionally the kid didn't do it for me. I connect more with mini-figures, so naturally my entry was full of them instead.
I'm not sure about the message. If you run out of ideas throw your Lego bricks away?
Good luck to everyone that entered. Looking forward to seeing what you all came up with.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

2nd Place has been announced. Weird that they're taking this long with results, only having announced second now.  Maybe the rest will be up by later today.

I liked this 2nd place entry a lot better than first place. Maybe it was the professional production values, but I thought the concept was a lot more solid as well.

And they did, like, the same thing with the logo at the end as me, practically.

that was actually way better than first place, wow, that was really cool

"Eh" - Bertl

I liked it more than the winner, too.  It showed the creative, yet realistic possibilities for Lego bricks and how inspirational they can be.  Both commercials had a cute little boy with his dad.  I thought that was interesting.

only kids play with lego

mobiledeli wrote:

only kids play with lego

Apparently these ad execs are only interested in the core demographic of boys under 12.
Given the massive success of StarWars Lego sets I suspect there are very big markets in young adults as well. As a FOL I can't say that any of these Ads inspired me.

What happened to children of all ages? Also it doesn't look like any of the Brickfilmers are going to be in the money......booooooo!

fourth and fifth have been announced, go under the Lego part

"Eh" - Bertl

The 5th place one was more what I was picturing for this contest.  I liked it!  I wonder why it only placed fifth.  The 4th place one was just goofy.  The kid could have had a mark on his face from any toy.  How is that supposed to make us want to buy Legos?  Do they make better pillows?

I thought the 4th one had a really sweet, creative concept, it's probably my second favorite of these winners (2nd place being my favorite.)

Weird how they're posting results in seemingly random order.  Guess I can hope for third right now, though I suspect they may just be waiting for additional paperwork to come in on a few people or something.  Will find out soon either way, I suppose.

Third place has been released, and it is my favorite, not a brickfilm though mini/sad

"Eh" - Bertl

yes, the third is my favourite to, and the first one without kids in it.

True, i never noticed that, maybe thats why i like it so much

"Eh" - Bertl

Didn't like third place too well, though it had a clever concept it kinda fell flat I thought.  Pretty much negated the themes and stuff they had stated as requirements in the brief.

Yeah, after about the third example I was like "ok I get it."  And then it just kept on going and going.  I'm just disappointed to see that no stop motion entries were chosen.  There were a number of impressive ones, specifically from people out of this community.

The 2nd place was the pick of the bunch but 3rd was also quite strong. I liked that these two represented that Lego is a building toy. For me that's where the emotional tie in is. A little boys imagination is just too distant to me.