Topic: Soundcard Troubles

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Software & Hardware or Audio, but here goes.

I'm having some troubles with my soundcard, at least I think it's my soundcard that's causing them. A few days ago when I was recording I noticed that everything was recording a bit quieter in the right speaker than the left speaker, but I didn't do anything about it because it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Then today I was recording again, and just when I was about to record the guitar part my computer suddenly started recording nothing at all in the left channel, which would be fair enough if I could just record in mono, but the right channel now sounds really really awful. I have tried recording through a microphone and a line-in, and they are both pretty darn awful. So I can either record in stereo and only have sound in one speaker, AND it'll sound sucky, or I can record in mono and have sound in both headphones, but have it sound suckier. It's a bit of a lose-lose situation really.

For someone who does lots and lots of recording I don't really know much about soundcards or anything. So, is there a way of sorting it out? Will I have to buy a replacement? CAN I buy a replacement?

Thanks

- Freddy

Last edited by MB (January 18, 2009 (01:30pm))

Re: Soundcard Troubles

Right, Ive just seen this. It's entirely possible it is your soundcard. There's a chance it might not be though.
Must ask though, are you on a laptop? If not, what soundcard are you using? Also, if you are thinking about investing in a new one, are you going to go for the basic £15 or less PCI Soundcard, or would you go for a big boy's EMU professional recording soundcard with MIDI inputs and other juicy goodies.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/RockyFS/things/sigbim1_copy.jpg

-Available to answer questions on Hardware, Software, and Audio. Also, I recommend checking out the offical Free Software List

I am on a laptop indeed.

Like I said, I know virtually nothing about this kind of thing. Depending on how much I can spend though I'll probably go for an all-singing all-dancing one, considering the amount of music-related stuff I do.

Any recommendations concerning what to get?

Hmm, As its a laptop, a PCI one like the EMU is out of the question. Maybe a Firewire Audio Interface is appropriate then? Some of them are in effect high performance external sound cards designed with recording in mind. They can get fairly pricey though.

I can't comment on the latest models at the moment, I've been out of the loop for a while audio wise, the last Computer Music I bought was a few years ago. I occasionally check the web for the latest Synth news, but that's about it. And I dont care what the magazines say, I still consider the Korg Triton Extreme modern...

Ill get back to you at some point with some small suggestions...

Last edited by Ash (January 23, 2009 (03:50pm))

-Available to answer questions on Hardware, Software, and Audio. Also, I recommend checking out the offical Free Software List

Thanks very much.

I tried recording through USB yesterday and that was only recording in mono as well. Could that mean that it's just the programme I'm using (Acid Music Studio 7) being silly?

Oooh. I get you.
Yeah, my PC records left channel only when I'm doing a direct Line in from my board and effects processing kit for some reason. I just record seperate channels and then mix them into stereo. Or I use a microphone, which does record stereo.