Re: Café Corner

The toy that led to such strange legal situations is "Guess Who?", which is a board game you may have grown upplaying.  Apparently some kids thought the characters talked because on the commercial they were animated and made comments before they were flipped down (eliminated from the game.)  The kids got it for Christmas and were thoroughly disappointed.  So now these things are avoided.  Barbie commerials from the late 1990s use animated dolls that talk and a voice-over at the end of the ads would say, 'dolls do not move or talk on their own."  I don't remember being this dumb as a kid, or having that loose a grasp of what's fantasy vs reality.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I saw some Skylanders ads where the figures were having a conversation with each other. Underneath in a very visible whit colour, it said something the *these toys don't actually talk. When I saw it I thought that was something silly to put there because it seemed pretty obvious that someone would assume that the figures could talk.
I think the bricks building itself should be able to be featured on television ads, as long as it's in CGI format or at a low frame rate that even young children can understand how the bricks built themselves.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Kickstarter for a Sherlock Holmes brickfilm.

Hmm. I find it strange that somebody would create a brickfilm Kickstarter pitch with no previous work to show, and no animation in the pitch video. Everything is written quite vaguely, too; A series of three episodes could mean anything. 30 minutes each? 3 minutes each? I can't say I'm convinced.

I have to agree with you, sillypenta. The same thoughts ran through my head. It did catch my eye, however, so I thought I'd share it.

Oh, sharing finds is always a good thing. Even discussion on what this does wrong might help somebody in the future.

Yah, asking for money for an animation without showing any previous animation work is a bold move, that I doubt will pay off. The rewards they're offering are also quite underwhelming.

While their enthusiasm's nice, the lack of any information isn't going to get them the £3500 they need. That's a lot of money to ask for (relatively speaking) especially if you don't have an established fanbase which, as far as I can see from their profile, they don't. I mean, as has been said, there are no links to any previous works, and there's only a slight indication that they've made any brickfilms before right at the end of the Kickstarter's description.

You can't say they aren't promoting it though. I checked their Twitter and they've tweeted links to so many other profiles that it borders on spam (in a good, enthusiastic way).

The rewards seem fun, but I wonder how the cost of making and shipping a Lego 221b Baker Street model weighs against the £300 reward tier. It must be quite expensive, I hope they've factored that cost into their budget (which I'm sure they have, if they're making the tier in the first place).

All that said, I wouldn't feel comfortable supporting a campaign with as little in the way of a description as this.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Sméagol wrote:

On a semi-related note, this short film commissioned by The LEGO Group's China branch is incredible.

Wow, that animation is absolutely incredible.  I love the way they animated grey bricks for shadows.  The mixing of various scales and blending of minifigs, DUPLO, brick-built structures/creatures and live-action is great as well and really showcases the variety and creative potential LEGO has to offer.  The "lunch" sequence in particular is very PES-esque.

That said, I feel like the annoying kid voice-over narration kind of kills the flow of movie in my opinion.  Perhaps I'm being overly harsh and analytical here, but it's practically pointless and for the most part just states the blatantly obvious ("The snake is in the zoo.  He looks at the lion.  He also looks at the elephant."  Thanks, I can see that for myself...).  The visuals are so strong it doesn't need any speaking parts to begin with--you could strip out the voice-over and the film would essentially be the same.  In fact, it would be stronger since it allows the audience to focus on the top-notch visuals instead of distracting them by spoon-feeding them things they already know.  Kids are smarter than many people give them credit for, and it doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out what's going on here.

Still, definitely worth a watch, and I admire all the work put into this. 

I actually found out about this shortly before reading coming across Willow Tree's post here--I was one of the people they solicited via Twitter (should I be flattered by the fact I'm getting attention?).  Having looked over the project, I have to concur with everything that's already been said here.  Whilst the rewards seem well thought out enough, and they do appear to be enthusiastic and motivated about the project, there's precious little else to go on.

The video itself is just a few shots of some LEGO models that they've already built, and it isn't even especially stand-out in technical terms (pretty bland and boring, to be honest).  There's absolutely no showcase of their previous work, or any indication that they have high enough standards of quality that I'd be willing to spend money on them.  There's nothing to indicate what they mean by "three episodes", or what the series will focus on (whether it'll recreate Doyle's original stories, be completely unique, etc.), or even any indication of a finished script, rough outline, or any work done at all.  We don't even know who these people are or what their skill level as film-makers and animators are.  I suppose it's possible that they've just started Brickfilming and thus don't have an established following or showreel, but if that's the case they really shouldn't be asking for people's money in the first place.  This lack of any verifiable work is borderline questionable, dubious even.  It seems to be genuine enough, and I doubt it's a scam (Brickfilming is far too obscure and niche to be profitable to scammers, really); but even so I can't say I'd be comfortable donating money to this project.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (May 25, 2015 (06:00pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Yea I wish they would show at least some of there last animations or say if they haven't done any yet. On a side note, thats a lot of brick bricks. mini/eek

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Kickstarter is a more challenging thing to do well than it sometimes seems to newcomers, myself included. I learned a lot from the mistakes of my failed In Paradise campaign; even having a nice pitch isn't really enough to succeed. Not providing details or past work or producing a pitch video is shooting yourself in the head at the starting gate.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

who wants to see my planimeter
http://41.media.tumblr.com/65fb5182f324857b758eebebd8f8aef6/tumblr_nozky6XxkT1s6us8do1_1280.jpg

I want to see it, but I don't know what a planimeter measures.  What does this device do?

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I'm recording some lines for voice-acting right now.  Turns out quoting lines from Team Fortress 2 is a really great way of warming up.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr Vertigo wrote:

I'm recording some lines for voice-acting right now.  Turns out quoting lines from Team Fortress 2 is a really great way of warming up.

So, what are you? The president of his fan-club?

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:
Mr Vertigo wrote:

So, what are you? The president of his fan-club?

Noooo. That would be your mother.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I have a good idea for a short that I really wanted to work on today, but I don't feel very well. Curse post-finals illness. mini/sad

Rivvm m wrote:

I once heard something similar to what RedBrick said. Basically, by animating the legos and showing them moving by themselves, it would classify the add as false advertising.

Edit: I found where I read it. It was in "Brick Flicks" (the book) on page 4.
"Some of these methods use by Advance in the past, where LEGO toys are "magically" constructed, would not be allowed under more recent advertising standards, which must show the toy being physically build or maneuvered if it cannot move on its own in actuality (a LEGO helicopter flying, for example)." (that is an excerpt from the book.)

Yes! That was it. Thanks for providing the source.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

My brother started a blog about movies. He would appreciate any feedback and/or any thoughts you might have on the subject. You can check out the blog here: Cinema and Cinephiles

Hey guys.

I haven't been active on this site for a long time... I kind of miss Brickfilming...

I don't have a lot of time these days with having a job, a band and some loser who keeps saying she's my girlfriend or something...

If anyone is interested, I miiiiight possibly write a short script and animate it? Maybe? Maybe not...

No one cares. mini/lol