Topic: BrickFlix LEGO Film Festival [CLOSED]

As you might have heard, the folks behind Brickjournal have been putting together the first-ever LEGO film festival in Durham, NC.

From the website:

See animated brick films and other LEGO-themed shorts during the First Annual BrickFlix Film Festival, at the Carolina Theatre, 309 W Morgan Street, Durham, North Carolina on Wednesday, May 5! Special guest David Pagano, an animator whose resume includes work for the LEGO Group (including Space Police and the LEGO Club Show) will be on hand to demonstrate how his films are made, and take questions after each screening!

First showing: 7:00pm for ALL AGES
(one hour of films, followed by a 30-minute Q&A with animator David Pagano).

Second showing: 9:00pm for AGES 16-UP ONLY
(includes some scenes that may be too intense for younger viewers, and followed by a more in-depth discussion with David Pagano).

Tickets are only $4.75 each! Advance tickets may be purchased at the Carolina Theatre box office. The box office is open at 11am every weekday. Tickets may also be purchased the night of BrickFlix starting at 6:30pm, but there are a limited number of seats available, so we recommend you purchase your tickets early.

You might have noticed my name in there, and I'm also helping to put together the setlist for both screenings. We're looking for recommendations for films that fit the following criteria:

- TRT: 5 mins or less
- Completed on or before March 1, 2010
- Minimum resolution: 640 x 480
- You must own all rights to the content of your film: visuals, music, characters, etc.

If you've got questions or suggestions, please reply to this thread and let us know. Unfortunately, we won't be able to fit in all the recommended films (2 hours is pretty short); however, the folks running the event recognize that the people who frequent these boards are the most knowledgeable when it comes to quality LEGO animation... that's why I'm here asking. mini/smile

So suggest away. Thanks!

Last edited by Paganomation (March 20, 2010 (02:29pm))

Re: BrickFlix LEGO Film Festival [CLOSED]

Awesome! That sounds like it will be a lot of fun! Are there any copyright restrictions? I didn't read anything about that, so I assume there are no restrictions, but I could be wrong.

NXTManiac

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Good question. I've asked the organizers and will let you know what they think. I would guess that a film is far more likely to be screened, however, if it's a completely original piece.

EDIT: I got a response. Since this is an event for which there are ticket sales, any films screened CANNOT have copyrighted material in them. I have updated the criteria at the top of the page accordingly. Sorry!

Last edited by Paganomation (March 20, 2010 (02:30pm))

Oooh, looks great. I wish I could go.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Question: I have music in my film that is not mine. But from the site, it gives full permission to use the music and even make money on it. All they ask for is credit forit, which is gladly given in the film. So would that matter, or would that still not make it in the rules?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

Hi David, you may use my Dracula trailer if you wish, it has some creative commons stuff in it but nothing copyrighted.

I actually have family in Durham and would love to go, but I have school during that time. It's a nice city for sure.

I'd love to show The River, but it's seven minutes. Are you sure you can't go over the time limit?

I'm also curious about the time limit.  Personally I think most of the best brickfilms (Robota, The River, The Magic Portal, Good Company, etc.) are over 5 minutes, it'd be better to have a great 8-10 minute film than a couple of good 5 minute films imo.

I don't know if we're supposed to be recommending films that aren't our own or not, but as far as my own films go, you'd be free to show The Oven and Crown of Syracuse, which are both 5 minutes or less.  Unrenewable is fair game too, but it's a little over 10 minutes long.

Is there a reason for the "Completed on or before March 1, 2010" stipulation?  Does this mean if the festival were held again next year that films would have to be completed after March 1st 2010?

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

While there are a lot of great films that run longer than 5 minutes, there are also a lot of films that drag on needlessly -- they're 12 minutes when they could be 2 minutes. (Even a classic like The Magic Portal has a few parts that could have been cut or trimmed.) With each of the screenings being limited to an hour, I think the idea was to hit the crowd with a whole bunch of cool shorts, as opposed to just a few not-so-shorts.

That being said, the time limit is not set in stone. As the set lists for both shows are compiled, if it turns out there's a stronger film of more than five minutes that could edge out a couple of shorter entries, that's probably what will end up happening. The goal of the screenings is to show off the best of the medium, but also to have a sense of energy and action.

As for the completion date stipulation, that was just to avoid cases of "WAIIIT! MY FILM WILL BE FINISHED ON MAY 4th AT MIDNIGHT CAN YOU STILL SHOW IT??" Assuming there's a second festival next year, an eligible film would probably just need to be completed before the date the event is announced -- not between now and then.

And yes, definitely recommend films that are both your own and not your own. Though it will help if you can point me in the direction of the auteur. mini/smile

To mention some german films mini/smile

I think you should show Alles ist die Noppe from nichtgedreht (5:08), which is probably very interesting for americans with their patriot act and all the fear in society.
http://nichtgedreht.de/2009/06/alles-ist-die-noppe/

And of course Remake from Mirko (3:18), which is full of epic win!
http://www.mirkokosmos.net/?p=26

ブリックフィルマー

Not sure if you're really interested in my films, but feel free to take 'Smoking Gun' although it was only an entry into THAC.

Out of Time
The Magic Portal
Ninja Thief
Twelve Bucks
The Gauntlet
Pirates
The Inventor
The New Neighbor
America: Outlawed
Unrenewable
Oh Well
The Letter
The Hand of Fate
Wenatchee42 (as an easter egg.)
Hypothetical Possibilities
Unmasked
Attack of the Second Amendment
Mirrored Perspective
Cashman
Pierre & Luigi
The Oven
Horse
True Love Waits

A list copied from the Board of Directors. mini/smile

NXTManiac

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

NXTManiac wrote:

Do you have a link to this list? Does the list have the creators/links to the films?

Paganomation wrote:
NXTManiac wrote:

Do you have a link to this list? Does the list have the creators/links to the films?

Let me find some directors here.
Out of Time - by 0ldScratch (Buxton)
The Magic Portal - Website
Ninja Thief - by Egoless (not active anymore)
Twelve Bucks - by Robert Weychert, Jr (not active anymore)
The Gauntlet - by Jay Silver
Pirates - by Doug Vandegrift (cannedgravy on YouTube)
The Inventor - by Nick Durron
The New Neighbor - by Epsilon Studios
America: Outlawed - by Doug Vandegrift
Unrenewable - by Smeagol Studios
Oh Well - by Andrew Boyer and David Lennie
The Letter - by James Maduzia (Here's an archive.org page; he's not active anymore)
The Hand of Fate - by Digital Dave (not active anymore?)
Wenatchee42 (as an easter egg.) I dunno]
Hypothetical Possibilities - by MindGame studios
Unmasked - by I dunno]
Attack of the Second Amendment - by MindGame studios
Mirrored Perspective - by MindGame studios
Cashman - by Smeagol Studios
Pierre & Luigi - by Nick Durron
The Oven - by Smeagol Studios
Horse - by LegoShark
True Love Waits - by Chris Boyer

If it's the Unmasked I'm thinking of, it was from Leftfield Studios.
- Aaron

Last edited by Jargon (March 23, 2010 (03:34pm))

I see the reason for the 5 minute time limit.  Just thought it'd probably be worth considering a few films that go over the limit, like Robota or The River, especially.

cannedgravy's films are fun but they are really really long, I wouldn't think you'd want anything that might lose viewers' attention like that to say nothing of limiting how many films you can show.

Rob Weychert is pretty contactable on this page.  He has responded to my emails in the past.

The Letter uses copyrighted recordings of songs, I believe.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

If you're interested in showing my film Sssssss., that'd be pretty rad.

Sméagol wrote:

I see the reason for the 5 minute time limit.  Just thought it'd probably be worth considering a few films that go over the limit, like Robota or The River, especially.

cannedgravy's films are fun but they are really really long, I wouldn't think you'd want anything that might lose viewers' attention like that to say nothing of limiting how many films you can show.

Rob Weychert is pretty contactable on this page.  He has responded to my emails in the past.

The Letter uses copyrighted recordings of songs, I believe.

Thanks Smeags. He came up on the Google Search, but I wasn't sure if he was the same person.

If you would be interested in showing my film Stars - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjDmtPiyOPo  - that would be cool. mini/smile Thanks

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

Sméagol wrote:

I wouldn't think you'd want anything that might lose viewers' attention

Sméagol wrote:

Just thought it'd probably be worth considering a few films that go over the limit, like Robota or The River, especially.

I'm sorry but I just don't see the awesomeness in the River. Everyone here seems to love it. 1st in the big competition and all.
Because it got big wraps I showed it to some friends with some other BrickFilms. That was the one that they spat the dummy on. Boring!
Guess it depends on your intended audience.

You can’t have manslaughter without the laughter!