Re: The Force Unleashed

Wow, I now feel bad about my LEGO RvD which is rendering atm.

"11 year olds should dance with girls kiss with tounge and make good things out of this" -- Brick by brick
"What the heck is this underwear business?" -- BertL

Great. I was already furious with myself for failing to complete that script for you on time. Now I want to go hurl myself into a wood chipper.

Superlatives are impossible to avoid... cinematography, animation, sound design... holy [expletive]. The only thing I can nitpick about would be that the pacing was a little weird... speeding up, slowing down, speeding up again, etc... the whole way, rather than steadily building throughout.

Time to go find the nearest tree removal service.

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

First off, thank you all so much for your very kind comments, it really means a lot.

I'll try to comment on a few general criticisms that have been said:

Yes, there really is no story at all.  It's just some Sith dude that goes into a big arena and pwns guys in the coolest possible way.  That was really all I was trying to do.  Also, I was almost entirely focused on pushing my animation skills, and less focused on things like lighting, and set design, so I agree that there are definitely elements that are missing that would have made it better.

As for not having any music, yes I did do that intentionally and planned it that way from the start.  I agree that it wasn't fully successful, but I think that is mainly due to pacing issues that Noodle pointed out.  I think if there wasn't so much stopping and starting, just having the sound would have worked a bit better.

Again thank you for all the comments, the response to this video has been crazy mini/smile

mini/lol It already as over 3,000 views.

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

Yeah, 300 views away from 4000.

After watching this several times, I think I'm finally ready to write a review.
Hands down the smoothest and most creative animation in an action brickfilm I've ever seen. Everything went so life-like and fitted together so well. And don't get me started on the masking job, probably one of the best masking jobs I've ever seen too. To be honest the effects could have been better, they weren't bad at all, they just weren't perfect. My favorite part was the storm trooper slaughtering, that was so terrifying and hilarious at the same time, and with animation that makes you gasp. While the lightsaber fighting was epic and crazy with the shaky camera movements, at points I felt that a few wider shots were needed to see more of what was happening, I didn't really like how it was close up all the time, that's my only biff.
Funny and very epic, love to see more, dude. mini/smile

Wauw, 8000 views already mini/eek

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Me thinks that the video will be a featured video in a few days.

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

Amazing. The best lightsaber duel since Rise of the Empire's, and most likely the one to beat for years to come.

I think it'd be interesting to learn about the pre-production aspects of this. Did you plan and calculate each movement ahead of time? Did you use storyboards?

Hm, I have the same questions as well, KG. But from my past conversations with him, it seems like he just sits down with a basic idea of what he wants to do and just does it. However, this may be a totally different case with 'The Force Unleashed'.

I've decided that I'm going to become immune to several select, non-lethal poisons, then put them in my snacks to discourage sneaky snack snatchers. -Littlebrick

deviantART | YouTube

Looks like the guys over at Brothers-Brick liked your film, Fancypants.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

@Fancypants, I think this vid will get you onto the YouTube partners program mini/yes

I rarely get inspired by Brickfilms, but I daresay this one succeeded in doing just that. I think the aspect that made it most amazing for me was the superbly done camera movements, which made the action so much smoother and more realistic. Excellent job!

To answer the pre-production question, Bricklord is pretty much right on the money.  Before I started I just had a general idea of how I wanted it to go, as well as a few specific moves that I wanted to do.   I didn't really calculate any movements.  My strategy when animating stuff that is difficult or something I've never attempted is to always take more frames than you think you need, because it's a lot easier to delete frames then to magically make them appear.  The camera movements were all done by hand, mostly just using a tripod and moving it around wherever I felt it needed to move.  I actually did the shots at 0:32 and 1:10 completely by hand.  I was going for a hand-held look, so I might as well do it that way eh?

But yeah, generally I just knew what I want it to look like, and just went for it.  And then if it didn't turn out right I tried it again.  Don't get me wrong though, I'm definitely not poo pooing pre-production work.  I think if I would've done a bit more planning before animating I probably could have avoided the pacing issues that it has, among other things.  I do plan on putting more emphasis on it for future projects.

Bravo Mr Pants that was very fancy indeed. The animation was mostly very good, but the camera work made it exceptional.
So refreshing to see brickfilms that do not try to take themselves too seriously.
Any critique I have is so meaningless as your body of work puts you in a league of your own.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

Nick Durron wrote:

I rarely get inspired by Brickfilms, but I daresay this one succeeded in doing just that. I think the aspect that made it most amazing for me was the superbly done camera movements, which made the action so much smoother and more realistic. Excellent job!

You really should do another one yourself, Durron. Your 'Battle of the Heroes Montage Clip' was fantastic as well, even if it was nearly blow-for-blow from Star Wars: Episode III.

I've decided that I'm going to become immune to several select, non-lethal poisons, then put them in my snacks to discourage sneaky snack snatchers. -Littlebrick

deviantART | YouTube

WOW!  Awesome film Fancypants.  You have one of the smoothest animations I've ever seen mini/bigsmile  I love your camera movements as well.  Keep it up!

Wow, quick rise to 40k views. Looks like we're not the only ones who think that a Sith owning some stormtroopers is entertaining.

- Leo

its on the brothers brick!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

This makes me embarrassed of my own lightsaber videos. *bows head in shame*
Seriously though, this should be put in a shrine or something. The camera movements really sold it, and seeing some familiar moves from the game made it even better. Kudos