Topic: Names taken from companies

I noticed recently a new member who calls himself "LEGO". I was just wondering about other peoples views on using company names as their online identity. I mean, it's pretty much the same as someone calling themselves "Nintendo", "Microsoft" or even "Pixar".

I don't think it should be allowed, as I think that even though it may not be intended, it appears as if they're trying to use that companies identity.

Please note that I have nothing against the forum member "LEGO".

- edit -

I just realised I posted this in The Coffee Shop instead of Updates & Feedback by accident. Could a Moderator move the topic please?

Last edited by Sean (January 12, 2009 (01:23am))

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Re: Names taken from companies

Dr007 wrote:

I'm just checking before I do something I shouldn't mini/blankexpression

No, you're embarrassing yourself.

And I agree with Sean that it's probably not the best idea to have a user named  "LEGO."

- Leo

Last edited by Leonardo812 (January 12, 2009 (12:27pm))

Then perhaps I shouldn't have "VN" because there are many companies that include "VN"______ All over the world. I'm not taking Dr007's side but I just though I should mention that.

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Nah, you're fine. mini/wink

Leonardo812 wrote:

No, you're embarrassing yourself.

You really have no idea, do you Leo? mini/wink

"11 year olds should dance with girls kiss with tounge and make good things out of this" -- Brick by brick
"What the heck is this underwear business?" -- BertL

I deleted the little off-topic discussion.  I know it's not your strong suit, Justin, but let's try to keep this on topic.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

You got rid of my post but kept Leo's even though he copied exactly what I said? What's up with that, know what I'm saying bro?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/COTB/FunkyJunk/RUMBLE/mg.jpg

C'mon, lets not be like freaking stupid Youtube now okay?

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

Jonathan|Marrero wrote:

C'mon, lets not be like freaking stupid Youtube now okay?

How are we like YouTube? We don't even have the Film Directory up yet.

And I suggest we move this ENTIRE discussion IN ITS ENTIRETY to Cafe Corner ENTIRELY.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

Matt Gillan wrote:

You got rid of my post but kept Leo's even though he copied exactly what I said? What's up with that, know what I'm saying bro?

I kept his post because he expressed agreement with the original poster regarding the actual subject.  Sorry if did the same, I must have missed it.

I guess it seems like an unnecessary precaution to me, I don't think people would mistake "LEGO" for a representative of the LEGO Company.  It's a bit confusing though.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

On topic please guys.

I'm just wondering about copyright issues and such. If there's no issue with this, maybe I'll ask for a name change to "Pixar"? mini/wink

Last edited by Sean (January 12, 2009 (04:24pm))

You could call yourself "Brixar" but I think another guy already did that.

OFFTOPIC: Speaking of Pixar, I plan to move to America and work for them after I finish my animation degree mini/bigsmile

"11 year olds should dance with girls kiss with tounge and make good things out of this" -- Brick by brick
"What the heck is this underwear business?" -- BertL

You've completely missed my point, 007. My point is that calling myself "Pixar" would be infringing on that companies copyright over its name. I don't see why that should be allowed for any such company; "LEGO" for example.

Sean wrote:

You've completely missed my point, 007. My point is that calling myself "Pixar" would be infringing on that companies copyright over its name. I don't see why that should be allowed for any such company; "LEGO" for example.

It doesn't really matter, Those huge film companies don't give a crap.

Oh yeah, and Maggosh, I was saying that because Youtube is like copyright crazy.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

I'm not saying that someone would get sued for using a companies name; it's the ethics behind it. It's the same as using sound effects in a brickfilm that you don't have the rights to. It's unlikely someone would get into trouble for it, but it's unethical.

Littlebrick is Brixar Animation or Brixar Studios (I forget which).

Anyway, I do think that calling yourself Disney or Microsoft or Panasonic might be a problem, from a confusion perspective. And infringement. But I think "LEGO" is alright, after all, we are a LEGO community mini/bigsmile. We all know that "Brickfilm" is apparently a copyrighted term, yet some members use "Brickfilm" in their username.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

But I think "LEGO" is alright, after all, we are a LEGO community

Does that mean that it would be alright to use the name "Adobe" on the Adobe forums, seeing as that's the subject matter?

Just having the username "LEGO" doesn't have much character to it. mini/sad

I say, it's alright to use it in your username, as long as it's PART of your username (ie, LEGOStudios).

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

speaking of which, I found someone on wootube called MMproductions.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!