Topic: Community Project - American Pie LEGO music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U

Hello everyone. I was thinking about getting a "crew" together to make a LEGO music video for the song above. Now like any community project, this is going to take time, and is going to be somewhat hard.

I have found that I don't have the resources for some of the scenes this video would need. It is mixed with a lot of double meanings, which is hard to pull off. Here is a little info on it:

http://www.don-mclean.com/americanpie.asp

The general idea I have right now is this:

A man walks up on a stage in front of a lot of people at the beginning of the song. He starts singing. As the song gets going, there will be these flashbacks to explain the story better. Of course, I want to combine the literal and metaphoric meanings to get the main point of the song. At the end of the video, when he is almost done singing, you see the room he is in isn't in fact full with people, but empty. That is the general motion I want the video to have...I want to jump back and forth from him singing then to a slow fade to a flashback. The flashbacks will get longer as each one comes. The flashbacks, as I said, are to tell the point of the song. The story of it. For example, the first flashback would be the flashback to the 50's.

I am going to take care of the part of him singing on the stage. What I really need help with is the flashbacks. As I said, I don't have to resources to do them.  I might try to do the flashbacks of the 1950's, since I have the "Town Plan" set.

Also, I think a Community Project for this song would be fitting for some reason. Considering the song and its meaning, a bunch of brickfilmers helping to make a video for it just seems like something that hasn't been done before. I am not really the director of the project nor do I have control. Who ever wants to do a flashback (and there are going to be a LOT of them) is the director of that flashback(s). Also, if anyone knows like everything about this song, that would really help all of us out.

Now, who's channel this will be posted on is a tricky one. Since a lot of us will be working so hard on it. But I am sure this is something we can have a vote on.

I say we can do it. YES WE CAN! (hehe). For the record, I am not looking for people to make the video for me, it's not like that at all. I wanted to start a project that has a meaning to it. I believe this song has a deep meaning in our history. And instead of starting up some random meaningless commintiy project, I figured we could all get together to create a video that has meaning behind it. Something that can make all of us feel good about when finished.

So, what do you say? Anyway questions?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

Re: Community Project - American Pie LEGO music video

Problems:

1. If you are able to complete it it could be taken down fast because of music copyright.
2. Deep meaning of history? A couple of musicians died in a plane crash thats not much. 
3. That is a pretty long music can you find enough people to participate?

I wish you much luck but be weary

Stoppedmotion wrote:

Problems:

1. If you are able to complete it it could be taken down fast because of music copyright.
2. Deep meaning of history? A couple of musicians died in a plane crash thats not much. 
3. That is a pretty long music can you find enough people to participate?

I wish you much luck but be weary

1. Wrong, there are many videos made by people who don't own the song and are still up. In fact, the video I posted the link to is fan-made.

2. Wrong. It is about how rapidly things changed between the 50's, 60's, and 70's. The 50's being the happier years, and the 60's being brought down by war and stuff. Then the early 70's, which still has problems. Now if the war isn't a deep meaning of history, fine. As I said, the song has at least two meanings at anytime. In fact, thinking about it,  I am now picking up 3-4 meanings at once. 

3. I am going to try, if I can't, then I will just have to make it myself somehow.

Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

ScypaxPictures wrote:

1. Wrong, there are many videos made by people who don't own the song and are still up. In fact, the video I posted the link to is fan-made.

2. Wrong. It is about how rapidly things changed between the 50's, 60's, and 70's. The 50's being the happier years, and the 60's being brought down by war and stuff. Then the early 70's, which still has problems. Now if the war isn't a deep meaning of history, fine. As I said, the song has at least two meanings at anytime. In fact, thinking about it,  I am now picking up 3-4 meanings at once. 

3. I am going to try, if I can't, then I will just have to make it myself somehow.

1. Well whatever a couple of my videos have been taken down/ audio disabled because of that.
2. Dont say Im wrong yes there are multiple reasons and yours are right too but the plane crash with the musicians are right too.
3. Well nothing to say about that

Stoppedmotion wrote:

1. Well whatever a couple of my videos have been taken down/ audio disabled because of that.
2. Dont say Im wrong yes there are multiple reasons and yours are right too but the plane crash with the musicians are right too.
3. Well nothing to say about that

1. Well that is true, some videos are taken down because of music it. But it greatly depends on the song. mini/smile

2. Well, yes, I'm sorry, you were right on that part too. But you were wrong saying that it isn't deep history. mini/XD

3. Okay...we really need to stop making list.

4. Didn't mean to sound like a jerk, just went into quick-defense mode. My true sorries follow.

I would also like to apologize i was also kind of a jerk.

offtopic: wow the forums work great with a dsi

So, it's kinda like a "something that brings people together" kind of project? Cool. mini/bigsmile

I'd be willing to help out if this ends up working.

I might help too if I can.

YouTube | Vimeo

SLEEP IS AN IRRESISTIBLE FORCE - BrickLord

me too mini/smile

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

That song...blah.

"Thank you very little..."

Crbdudeman wrote:

My Face...blah.

Fixed.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Cartoonkid98 wrote:
Crbdudeman wrote:

My Face...blah.

Fixed.

Nice GENERIC insult. Why don't you go listen to Fleetwood Mac or something...

"Thank you very little..."

Crbdudeman wrote:
Cartoonkid98 wrote:
Crbdudeman wrote:

My Face...blah.

Fixed.

Nice GENERIC insult. Why don't you go listen to a telephone pole or something...

Fixed.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

I'll help coz I like PIE! Off-topic: And LAMPS! Don't forget Lamps!
Fixed

Dog

http://i.imgur.com/Vghri.png
I'm back. Possibly.

There's quite a good chance of this working.
Don't forget too, that everyone will need the same minifig.
One question though.
When everyone is making their flash-back, how will people know what scene to carry on from.

Good concept and I wish you luck with it.
-Kevin mini/wink

I'll do it too if it works. mini/bigsmile

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Brickcellent wrote:

There's quite a good chance of this working.

Eh, no they wont different people can use different minifigs.
For instance I call doing the Buddy Holly bits.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Sorry everyone about the delay on my replies here.

Been horribly busy. I will be answering the questions asked here very soon.

Okay, now...I would like to first say I am very, pleasantly, surprised this board came back ~this~ strong. I thought it was dead, therefore, a failed idea. Also, I did say I am not the director in this project in the first post. But I have been thinking, I did start this project, so I suppose I am the director! However, I want each flashback to be directed by the person doing it. I might suggest a few angles or styles, but I want it to be their own style.

Now, for the questions/problems  people came up with.

One question though.
When everyone is making their flash-back, how will people know what scene to carry on from.

Well, not EVERYONE will need the same minifig. Sure, most of the flash backs will have the singer in them, but a few of the flashbacks are when he is younger. In fact, the flashbacks will show him at a different age, most of the time. I suppose the most we would need is the same face, or the same shirt, so the viewer isn't confused. People will know what to carry on from because they will get to pick a segment from the song to do. As I said above, I am the director, I just don't want complete control because that would take away from the point of this project, being a ~community~ project. So my only direction is that people direct the flashbacks in their own style. I might suggest on how to do it, like, what the mood is. But I am going to let them have control over the flashbacks.

I am going to try to write out a screenplay for this video, that way, I will have a idea of all the flashbacks. When I think I have all the ones I need, I will list them here with details of what they are. I will then let people choose the flashbacks they think they can do. For the record, the flashbacks do not connect all that much. So they can be completely separate video clips. So yeah...hope that helped explain it. mini/smile

Oh, one last thing, not ALL of the flashbacks are going to have the singer. In fact, there are many I can think of that won't have the singer.

Well, I suppose that was the only new question so far. mini/XD As for everyone else who are saying they want to be apart of it, thank you. However, I sure hope your stop motion is decent and that you know how to build somewhat decent sets. mini/smile

Well, who all is going to do it? You should probably make a list.