Topic: Tips for THAC

I'm all about passing on wisdom to future generations, you know, and I thought it would be fun to share whatever we learned from doing THAC this year.

1) Your editing software WILL spontaneously start crashing. No matter if it's worked perfectly for two years, it WILL crash during THAC.

2) Something will inevitably go wrong with your camera. Light flicker will magically appear, the set will start bumping around like an earthquake, or it will start auto exposure even when you have it turned to manual.

- Leo

Re: Tips for THAC

Yep. I just had to scrap my WHOLE project because of that.

I do not care about your opinion, unless it has to do with it needing more ponies.
||YouTube||BrickShelf||Vimeo|

Great tips, Leo.

Here's some of mine.

3) Sometimes your animation will suddenly screw up, even though your animation was doing fine just a minute ago.

4) Don't get mad if you mess up, or else, you'll mess up even more.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

This should be sticky'd mini/wink mini/tongue

5. Relax. Don't try to take everything in panicked mode.....until you need to mini/lol
6. Keep track of how you save your files and how you need to put them together, something you can mess up if you don't pay attention.

7. Don't pick a complex story. Pick something simple and effective. Also something you can do in 24 hours would be helpful mini/tongue

Persist.

Expect to have to re-brainstorn at least once. Yes, I gave up on my Idea when the set came down and crushed all the props.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Expect to have to re-brain.

8- Don't think that you can do a lot of CGI work in 24 hours. Even if it does work, it will cause you a lot of pain. Stick to stop-mo.

9- Don't animate on top of a cardboard box. I don't even know why I tried that. . .     

10- Guava juice. I swear, the stuff is like liquid creativity.

- Leo

Last edited by Leonardo812 (January 2, 2010 (12:40pm))

11- Don't let distractions distract you. mini/tongue

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I've redone my first shot atleast 3 times so far because of the things you mentioned...

12- Choose simple concise sets. Don't work for hours on multiple sets, you don't have the time.

I broke that tip though. mini/rolleyes Ah well its still useful.

13- Quality over Quantity. Don't make a large film that's terrible, you won't win bonus points for a longer movie.

14- Don't put off your movie. Get as much done as soon as you can. The quicker your film is finished, the more time you have to edit it and make it better. Waiting until the last possible moment is NOT a good idea.

This would generally be the place where one would look to find a person's sense of humor. Good luck trying.

15. Ipods make the hours easier

Stoppedmotion wrote:

15. Ipods make the hours easier

Damn! I can't find my ipod!

16. Don't refilm shots you don't like that much. Once you've finished animating, if you have spare time, then you can redo some scenes.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

17. Don't eat pizza and animate at the same time, things get really greasy mini/tongue

18) Don't visit online forums while attempting to make an animated film in 24 hours.

NXTManiac

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

NXTManiac wrote:

18) Don't visit online forums while attempting to make an animated film in 24 hours.

NXTManiac

mini/tongue
psh, yeah right

NXTManiac wrote:

NXTManiac

Smartest thing I heard all year. mini/tongue

I do not care about your opinion, unless it has to do with it needing more ponies.
||YouTube||BrickShelf||Vimeo|