Topic: Bad Picture quality

Hello all Im a slightly new brickfilmer and I have a question.  Ever since I started using a webcam (Microsoft Lifecam VX-5000) the frames have been horrid. My work can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/StoppedMotion any help is greatly appreciated.
PS dont bust me about the Spongebob animation my little brother begged me to help me make /voice in one

Last edited by Stoppedmotion (December 1, 2009 (02:05pm))

Re: Bad Picture quality

First of all, to lessen the flicker, if you can turn auto-exposure off with your camera, do that.  The next thing would be to focus manually as well.  The auto-focus on your camera has left everything slightly out of focus.  I've never used a life cam before, nor do I know much about it, it may just turn out to not be a very good camera for brickfilming.  Before giving up all hope, take a look in your camera settings and see if you can switch to manual focus and exposure.  What software are you using for animation?  The settings might also be found somewhere in that program as well.

I hope that was a little bit of help, and hopefully something can be done to improve your camera's quality.  You can still make entertaining films with a crappy camera, though I understand that you want to get the best quality possible.  mini/smile
Welcome to bricksinmotion by the way,

- Yo-Blob

Blast from the Past? Or Beleaguered Mediocrity from the Past?

Yo-Blob wrote:

First of all, to lessen the flicker, if you can turn auto-exposure off with your camera, do that.  The next thing would be to focus manually as well.  The auto-focus on your camera has left everything slightly out of focus.  I've never used a life cam before, nor do I know much about it, it may just turn out to not be a very good camera for brickfilming.  Before giving up all hope, take a look in your camera settings and see if you can switch to manual focus and exposure.  What software are you using for animation?  The settings might also be found somewhere in that program as well.

I hope that was a little bit of help, and hopefully something can be done to improve your camera's quality.  You can still make entertaining films with a crappy camera, though I understand that you want to get the best quality possible.  mini/smile
Welcome to bricksinmotion by the way,

- Yo-Blob

Thanks for the welcome and the help. Im using Claymation Studio by Honestech

Welcome to BiM (like the Username, very clever).

The LifeCam is known for being a FAIL animation camera. If you're willing to spend some money, get the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. Its the best webcam for Brickfilming known as of late. It costs $100, but you can get it for around $70 through the Skype store.

A side note - Yo Blob, where you been?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

fib12345 wrote:

The LifeCam is known for being a FAIL animation camera. If you're willing to spend some money, get the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. Its the best webcam for Brickfilming known as of late. It costs $100, but you can get it for around $70 through the Skype store.

Eventually I am going to buy a QCP9k but right now Im strapped on cash Ill wait until after the holidays then purchase one (hopefully before THAC7)

Stoppedmotion wrote:
fib12345 wrote:

Eventually I am going to buy a QCP9k but right now Im strapped on cash Ill wait until after the holidays then purchase one (hopefully before THAC7)

Yup, this is what I'd recommend. On another note though, make sure your sets and camera are immovable while filming (there's several different QC9K cradle designs around the site).

fib12345 wrote:

Heh, yeah, I don't post very often.  I'm here almost everyday though watching a couple new films, seeing what new contests are going on etc.  Maybe one day soon I'll even make a new film!
- Yo-Blob, who needs to upgrade his dying QuickCam 4000 for a 9000.

Blast from the Past? Or Beleaguered Mediocrity from the Past?