Re: Into the heart of filmmaking! Do you want to be a Director?

Am I the only one that wants to be an animator? mini/tongue

No your not mini/wink

Directing movies would be to stressful for me.

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I think I may start out as an animator, actually, then work my way up to director. Get myself established, you know.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I aim to go down the same path as Paganomation, get paid to make brickfilms and other stop-motion stuff for whomever when I turn 16. After that I will probably progress to being a director of real movies, and keep the brickfilms as a hobby.

I've decided that I'm going to become immune to several select, non-lethal poisons, then put them in my snacks to discourage sneaky snack snatchers. -Littlebrick

deviantART | YouTube

Darkman wrote:

No your not mini/wink

Directing movies would be to stressful for me.

-Darkman

haha, but it isn't stressful to me. Of course it is sometimes, but I love it to much to notice. xD

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

Have you ever directed a movie then ?

vik wrote:

Have you ever directed a movie then ?

Not a "budget" movie yet. But I did make a live action called Relapse, which is 33mins long. Over the Winter/spring I am making another film called "Water" which I expect to be over a hour. Making movies is hard, no doubt. Not saying they are easy to do, I am just saying, it is something I want to be doing. And yes, I am well aware of the chances getting in, the work, the schooling, etc.

I do lot of animation as well (Brickfilms, haha)

Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

The way I see myself directing is with a 16mm camera and two or three crew members out in the middle of nowhere. Definitely not a fan of large-scale movie sets where everything is chaotic.

Night Owl wrote:

The way I see myself directing is with a 16mm camera and two or three crew members out in the middle of nowhere. Definitely not a fan of large-scale movie sets where everything is chaotic.

Yeah, and sometimes the films without the big movie sets are the best! But some of my film ideas (like 2 of them so far) would need a mordantly big budget. But I don't plan on making many big budget films, just good Sci-Fi films. I want to show people that you don't need millions of dollars worth of CGI to make a good Sci-Fi. haha!

I want to be a special effects man or stunt coordinator. I really like explosions and fight moves

-Jimmybob

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

I would rather be an animator for Pixar or something. Directing would be too stressful, as Darkman said.
Or this:

BrickLord wrote:

I aim to go down the same path as Pagganomation, get paid to make brickfilms and other stop-motion stuff for whomever when I turn 16.

Last edited by Just Kidden (November 18, 2009 (05:26pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Just Kidden wrote:

I would rather be an animator for Pixar or something. Directing would be too stressful, as Darkman said.
Or this:

BrickLord wrote:

I aim to go down the same path as Pagganomation, get paid to make brickfilms and other stop-motion stuff for whomever when I turn 16.

But what is stressful about directing? I mean, you have to keep tabs on everything, but your making a movie...what could be better than that? xD

And that's cool. Animation is fun stuff as well, I enjoy it, but I don't see doing it in the future.

I agree with Darkman as well. Directing your own film would be terribly stressful. I mean, I like taking charge of things, but it would be too much pressure and too many things going on for me to handle.

I wanna go to LA Film school when I grow up! Hey Aaron can your grandma get me a job at Universal Studios! mini/lol

Used to be 'Caidence'

Awesomeonomy wrote:

I agree with Darkman as well. Directing your own film would be terribly stressful. I mean, I like taking charge of things, but it would be too much pressure and too many things going on for me to handle.

It would be...but the love for filmmaking, for me anyway, would overcome the stress. xD

Good point, however.

vik wrote:
Infurno wrote:

Yes, I'd love becoming a director. I'm studying film school at the moment and like everybody I want to make movies later, but it that doesn't work out, I'd also be happy to work for TV.

How is filmschool ? I might go in 2 years after I graduate.

Willemse mostly answered your question Vik. I suggest you visit the other film schools in Belgium and see which one you like best. The most obvious is RITS because that is the most famous in Belgium and in my opinion the best. But if you have a different view on filmmaking than the profs, then you better go to an other school.
Probably the most important thing is that you can take rude critics. We had to hand in some works and the reaction from the teachers were really bad. Some people came back crying. To say it in dutch (Ze boren u echt de grond in!). So brace yourself for that, you'll be happy you did. But if you are really motivated, don't worry.
RITS trains you for a specific profession. I and Willemse am studying directing so that means that we are not trained as a editor, camera/boom operator, etc. Our job is to direct. Sure we get editing classes and so, but not as much as the BGM-ers, even though Willemse and me would love that.

If you want to do animation go to KASK in Ghent. That is one of the best schools in the world for animation. Its alumni have won the most prestigious awards in the animation industry and it is not rare for their alumni to end up working for pixar or so.

@Infurno: lol, I can just picture them...

The Teacher: WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU MADE THIS? IT IS COMPLETELY delightful, I MEAN, JUST LOOK AT IT!

Student: But, But, But, But...

The Teacher: The story, SUCKS, the editing, SUCKS, and the Directing...well that's the WORSE!!!!

mini/lol

I have have gone through some hard critics...the way I look at them: It is their opinion, why take it? I only take the advise and tips.

ScypaxPictures wrote:

@Infurno: lol, I can just picture them...

The Teacher: WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU MADE THIS? IT IS COMPLETELY delightful, I MEAN, JUST LOOK AT IT!

Student: But, But, But, But...

The Teacher: The story, SUCKS, the editing, SUCKS, and the Directing...well that's the WORSE!!!!

I have have gone through some hard critics...the way I look at them: It is their opinion, why take it? I only take the advise and tips.

Nah, critiques for any kind of art are different than that, usually. I've been in photography critiques where I've felt beaten down a bit, but it always hurts the worst when you know what the person is saying is true. And hey, if you're going to a good place, the people will probably know what they're talking about.

Night Owl: I know what you mean. I was just saying, if they start throwing out random bashings, then I don't listen. I always take in tips, advise, help, and constructive criticism, but not bashing. xD

And indeed, I trust in what professionals say (of course, it would be stupid to ignore such advise).

Like Night Owl said, the critiques our teachers give us are true, they just focus on the bad things and don't even mention the good things which makes you feel bad. But that's something you always experience as an artist. Jean-Luc Godard once said that no matter how correct and objective the critique and review is, it is always a personal insult. And you shouldn't really be bothered with it.
But of course, if you are in your first semester at film school and you are not Jean-Luc Goard your teachers will probably know what they are talking about when they say your work sucks.
But like I said earlier, I try not to let the critiques demotivate me, every thing they say I try to remember and make I don't make the same mistakes again. It is just that people aren't used to negative critiques because the only audience you have as a teen is your friends and family and they will always think it's good.