Re: Yes, We Can! (thac) (now in HD)

HarrisWhistles wrote:

...learn from what's worked in the past

Hope you don´t mean "war"...

HarrisWhistles wrote:

But really cool film, well made and VERY impressive for a 24-hour production.

You wrote some many above, but about the movie just these words ?

HarrisWhistles wrote:

There seems little hope amongst people who are savvy about finances that the "stimulus" bill will do much good at all, probably even do more long-term harm than good.

I haven't gotten that impression at all. I agree that it's imperfect, but I disagree that there is widespread opposition to it.

Hints in the news today of Obama wanting to raise taxes on the wealthiest will further discourage the entrepreneurial spirit and as a result, hinder job creation.

That's odd; I heard on the radio this morning that he intends to keep the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy until they naturally expire in 2010.

IMO, what's happening right now is nothing more than an indication that the trickle-down economic policies of the last administration have been a failure. Even Alan Greenspan admitted that his model wasn't completely right.

mario72 wrote:
HarrisWhistles wrote:

...learn from what's worked in the past

Hope you don´t mean "war"...

No one in their right mind would suggest war as moral way out of an economic downturn.  (But it could easily be argued that productivity stimulated by World War II brought the U.S. out of the depression that FDR's New Deal just prolonged.)

mario72 wrote:

You wrote some many above, but about the movie just these words ?

Responding to a film's message is as valid as responding to a film's technical aspects which in this case had already been commented on plenty.

Night Owl wrote:
HarrisWhistles wrote:

There seems little hope amongst people who are savvy about finances that the "stimulus" bill will do much good at all, probably even do more long-term harm than good.

I haven't gotten that impression at all. I agree that it's imperfect, but I disagree that there is widespread opposition to it.

If financial analysts were at all optimistic about the real, long-term benefits of the stimulus bill, the market slides would not be picking up speed after its passage as they currently are.

Night Owl wrote:
HarrisWhistles wrote:

Hints in the news today of Obama wanting to raise taxes on the wealthiest will further discourage the entrepreneurial spirit and as a result, hinder job creation.

That's odd; I heard on the radio this morning that he intends to keep the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy until they naturally expire in 2010.

That's only 1 year away, and letting them expire amounts to a tax hike on those who would be most likely to start a business and employ people.  I also saw a news story that threatened more tax increases on the wealthiest for the purpose of reducing the deficit.

Night Owl wrote:

IMO, what's happening right now is nothing more than an indication that the trickle-down economic policies of the last administration have been a failure.

I'm afraid I don't see the connection between trickle-down economics and the current corruption of our economic system by junk mortgages.  If anything, Clinton policies forced banks to write risky mortgages for applicants who normally wouldn't have gotten such mortgages by promising Federal backing of those bad loans through Freddy Mac and Fannie Mae.  Gov't interference in the market (forcing banks to make bad loans) caused the crash.  The moral of the story is that the gov't cannot really change the market, it can only delay and thereby intensify the pain of the inevitable corrections to the market that will follow.