Re: Warner Bros. Lego Movie

Do I really need to make my harsh comment AGAIN?

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

olol. What happened here? A trusted mod, having a agument at a n00b?
lul. Lets all say........... hmmmm............IBTL!!!!!!!  111!!!!!!11!!!!!!

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

...Filmyguy does not qualify as a "n00b", and good mods don't lock threads because someone argues with them.
Leonardo, the art of film is entirely subjective. If someone doesn't like CGI, they ARE speaking on their opinion of the art of film. Warner has been in the business of animation for a long time, I'm not going to deny that, but so has Disney, and we all know what it's B teams can do with computer animation. I wouldn't be opposed to their use of CGI if it actually was done well and brought something new to the film, but if they plan to do something that could have been done in stopmotion, it would be worth it to actually film in Stopmotion, IMO, simply for bypassing the lackluster rendering that often accompanies quite a bit of CGI.

stud studios.

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

Leonardo812 wrote:
filmyguy wrote:

It's just the CG part.... when I think of a LEGO movie, I automatically think stop-motion animation, and I'm sure everyone else who is not a brickfilmer would too. I feel like boycotting it for that reason. But yeah....

Dudes... you would boycott a LEGO movie because it wasn't made with a technique you like?

Can some people here please start admiring the art of film, regardless of how it was made?

- Leo

Then why make a LEGO movie at all if it doesn't actually deal with the building toy? Why not just make some generic CG movie with blocks then?

Let's spell this out for you guys, since we all seem to be having a bit of trouble today...

iDroid wrote:

...why make a LEGO movie at all if it doesn't actually deal with the building toy? Why not just make some generic CG movie with blocks then?

Ok, let's start from the beginning. I'm guessing that somewhere, a long long time ago in a place far far away like Denmark, some high-and-mighty LEGO official in his nearly-infinite wisdom decided that it would be really cool to make a LEGO movie.

At the same time some teenagers in North Dakota figured out the same thing. They went on to make a 2-minute Youtube video about kung-fu fighting, polar bears, and Dane Cook.

But the LEGO official didn't want a 2-minute video about kung fu fighting, polar bears, and Dane Cook. He wanted a feature-length film to be released in theaters. And so he started contacting other various high-and-mighty people in the film industry. These people in the film industry did what they do best - delayed - for a decade or so.

During that time the teenagers from North Dakota spread the great art of lego muuvies to other teenagers around the world, who begin forming sites where they would argue and post their Dane Cook lego muuvies and ask what cameras they all used. These sites still exist to this day. As a matter of fact, you're on one. The other big one was destroyed by zombies in wigs.

Anyway, once the film dudes were done delaying, they decided to actually make the movie, and a lot of big studios held a CEO football game in which the CEOs engaged in what looked more like mortal combat than football until there was only one chubby dude left standing. This dude was from Warner Brothers.

So the peoples over at WB began arguing about what their BIG AWESOME FEATURE-LENGTH LEGO MOVIE would be like. They decided to cheat a bit by checking out the work that all of the teenagers making Youtube lego muuvies. Unfortunately, there was only one cool Youtube lego muuvie made by any of these teenagers. And it wasn't even made by a teenager. It was made by a non-teenager.

It was called The Magic Portal. And it was epic.

And because TMP had live-action in it as well as animation, the WB dudes decided that of course their movie had to have live action in it too. Now the only decision to make was what kind of animation to use. And since stop-motion animation allows for only relatively non-expressive characters and absolutely no cartoon exaggeration like squash and stretch, they decided to use computer-generated animation. Plus, the only other funny lego muuvie on the interwebs had been CG as well. Something about pants...

And then the teenagers heard about it and began a large thread to complain about the live-action/CGI movie that the WB dudes were making because they were all like really really allergic to CGI. It made them sneeze. Something like that.

The end.    mini/smile

- Leo

Last edited by Leonardo812 (August 22, 2009 (12:00pm))

I'm gonna bookmark this page just for that Leo. Wonderful novel. mini/lol

AniExer-size 2 contest entry: The QuickcamPro 9000.
View it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf7cLSIjznI

I didn't know KG was from North Dakota.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

maggosh wrote:

I didn't know KG was from North Dakota.

We've been keeping you in the dark on a lot of things, maggosh. Can't risk compromising the secret brickfilming base.

- Leo

There's a secret brickfilming base in North Dakota?

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

maggosh wrote:

It's more of a big room with a TV. And a pool. That's where we hang out on weekends.

(We being the "in the know" people with the privilege of using the secret jet to fly there on weekends)

Ok, let's bring this thread back on topic.

- Leo

how exclusive is this hideout? mini/tongue

ok: NOW back on topic.

i have no problem with CGI as long as it looks good. i still prefer stop motion though.

Let's spell this out for you guys, since we all seem to be having a bit of trouble today...

WHAT'S THAT? I CAN'T HEAR PAST MY THICK SKULL, BUT EVEN IF I COULD I WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND BECAUSE I'M SO DAFT.

And because TMP had live-action in it as well as animation, the WB dudes decided that of course their movie had to have live action in it too. Now the only decision to make was what kind of animation to use. And since stop-motion animation allows for only relatively non-expressive characters and absolutely no cartoon exaggeration like squash and stretch, they decided to use computer-generated animation. Plus, the only other funny lego muuvie on the interwebs had been CG as well. Something about pants...

Oh, you're right, a film about LEGO, of course the characters need to do things LEGO can't.
And I fail to see why you even bother to come here if you think there has only been one film of note to a casual audience ever made by a brickfilmer. Maybe it is a dead end art, but guess what, it's an art. Yeah, CGI can give you some stretch and squash. CGI can give you some freedom of expression.
So why don't they do it in hand drawn, 2D animation? It can look identical, even better than 3D? If you can give me a correct answer to that which doesn't involve some form of laziness, I'll cease my complaints and let you go on about how awful most brickfilms are, or why we should kiss up to CGI because it's so much more expressive. They aren't doing stopmotion because it would be first and foremost moving out of their territory, and secondly, the advantages of CGI could have had a small say, not the other way around. Lastly, they certainly didn't decide to make this film the way they did because all of our films are crap.
And this whole stopmotion brickfilm vs. CG brickfilm argument here isn't about expression, this is about what we like. I like stopmotion sometimes, I like CGI sometimes, but complexity has nothing to do with it. Good animation flows. Good animation is natural. Good animation is subjective, and no matter how technically demanding something is, no matter how much more creative it is, I can damn well enjoy my hypothetical french fries as you eat gourmet, because to me, the fries taste good. If we like stopmotion, we're going to film in stopmotion, whether you tell us CGI is better or not.
I don't care if you like CGI, it doesn't matter to me. But when you decided to act like every stopmotion brickfilm is garbage, you ticked me off, and I'm not even going to lie about that. Get off the high horse and realize that we do what we like because we like what we do, and that's what real art is about.

Last edited by Squash (August 22, 2009 (02:53pm))

I concur with Leo.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Leonardo812 wrote:
maggosh wrote:

It's more of a big room with a TV. And a pool. That's where we hang out on weekends.

(We being the "in the know" people with the privilege of using the secret jet to fly there on weekends)

...Why the heck wasn't I told about this place?

Two words, Mr. Administrator: plausible deniability.

Anyway, I found Leonardo's novella a little tough to follow with all the mixed metaphors but it seems to suggest that there aren't many brickfilms that have any wide appeal and that big-budget, mainstream filmmaking is the best there is.  Can't say I agree with that, and I definitely think CG animation in particular has become so cheap and easy to produce that it has flooded the market a bit, most of what's getting into theaters is not very good.

If if you fail to convince somebody you're right, treating them like you think they're stupid usually isn't going to help either.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Wow, I'm so sorry that two of you took it seriously to some degree. The entire thing, including any perceived views or opinions, was complete rubbish, typed up just for the laughs. I did not in any way mean to demean any brickfilms, project any preference towards big-budget, mainstream film-making, or insult anyone who likes stop-motion.

Guys, I don't know why they chose CGI. Possibly because it gave them more freedom. They could have used stop-mo or 2d animation. If you feel like you have to take some deep message out of my huge, bloated post, let it be that I love film of all types and am a bit frustrated by some of your disgust for certain techniques.

- Leo

Leonardo812 wrote:

Guys, I don't know why they chose CGI. Possibly because it gave them more freedom. They could have used stop-mo or 2d animation. If you feel like you have to take some deep message out of my huge, bloated post, let it be that I love film of all types and am a bit frustrated by some of your disgust for certain techniques.

- Leo

I think they chose CGI to help promote their new LEGO Universe MMOG coming later in the year. LU will be a sort of "test run" for the CGI and the WB film will "make it work" and "promote" LU.

My two cents.

But I belive the film will come later than LU(hopefully...)

I'm BACK! mini/bigsmile

That's what I meant. Sorry if it came across hard to understand.

Leonardo812 wrote:

iDroid wrote:

...why make a LEGO movie at all if it doesn't actually deal with the building toy? Why not just make some generic CG movie with blocks then?

Ok, let's start from the beginning. I'm guessing that somewhere, a long long time ago in a place far far away like Denmark, some high-and-mighty LEGO official in his nearly-infinite wisdom decided that it would be really cool to make a LEGO movie.

At the same time some teenagers in North Dakota figured out the same thing. They went on to make a 2-minute Youtube video about kung-fu fighting, polar bears, and Dane Cook.

But the LEGO official didn't want a 2-minute video about kung fu fighting, polar bears, and Dane Cook. He wanted a feature-length film to be released in theaters. And so he started contacting other various high-and-mighty people in the film industry. These people in the film industry did what they do best - delayed - for a decade or so.

During that time the teenagers from North Dakota spread the great art of lego muuvies to other teenagers around the world, who begin forming sites where they would argue and post their Dane Cook lego muuvies and ask what cameras they all used. These sites still exist to this day. As a matter of fact, you're on one. The other big one was destroyed by zombies in wigs.

Anyway, once the film dudes were done delaying, they decided to actually make the movie, and a lot of big studios held a CEO football game in which the CEOs engaged in what looked more like mortal combat than football until there was only one chubby dude left standing. This dude was from Warner Brothers.

So the peoples over at WB began arguing about what their BIG AWESOME FEATURE-LENGTH LEGO MOVIE would be like. They decided to cheat a bit by checking out the work that all of the teenagers making Youtube lego muuvies. Unfortunately, there was only one cool Youtube lego muuvie made by any of these teenagers. And it wasn't even made by a teenager. It was made by a non-teenager.

It was called The Magic Portal. And it was epic.

And then the teenagers heard about it and began a large thread to complain about the live-action/CGI movie that the WB dudes were making because they were all like really really allergic to CGI. It made them sneeze. Something like that.

The end.    mini/smile

- Leo

I agre with Leo. Now all we need is for them to put a good idea into it and have Adluts like it. Sorry for the spelling.

Avatar, ah? I didn't know we sighed up to control half human half alien bodys? (If you get the joke you WIN. If you don't then you FAIL.

My Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/ehannon1234