Re: Weed Cops - THAC 6

livinglego wrote:
Sméagol wrote:

I agree that it's not an ideal situation, but the film did have a content warning.  There's not much a website can do to keep kids whose parents have given them unrestricted access to the internet from accessing offensive content if they're going to disregard warnings, anyway.

I respect that, can't you try your hardest to not allow this type of content at ALL?!

If this content was banned, I would never visit this site again.

Same here. I'm sure that would create another site that most members would flock to.

The contest policies and site policies are one thing on this matter; let me get into my own personal viewpoint.

First of all, I think any parent who's letting their five-year-old kid go online by themselves is quite irresponsible. It's so irresponsible, in fact, that I think it barely happens. I'm assuming that any kid who watches this will be at least nine or ten.

Second of all, I did put a content warning there, and even made a version which removed three of the stronger swear words. I know that some people are offended by blasphemous language, but they constitute a relatively small part of my audience. Being a secular humanist myself, it would feel awkward to censor according to religious injunctions.

Lastly, I've never been a big believer in the idea that kids automatically emulate what they see or hear in the media. Knowing a swear word because you heard it somewhere is one thing, using it all the time is another. When I was nine, I knew the standard repertoire of dirty words, but still didn't use them in conversation at all. Especially when you're older, it's quite possible to see attitudes in the media that are radically different from your own, and still not be affected by them.

If you personally find the content distasteful, you don't have to watch it, but there is no case for shielding everyone against it.

I'd be interested to know what your stance is on violence in brickfilms. It seems like so many brickfilms have levels of violence that, by your reasoning, would be quite dangerous for young children.

rsteenoven wrote:

If this content was banned, I would never visit this site again.

Same here. Well... maybe liek every month or so I would check up on it.

Night Owl wrote:

The contest policies and site policies are one thing on this matter; let me get into my own personal viewpoint.

First of all, I think any parent who's letting their five-year-old kid go online by themselves is quite irresponsible. It's so irresponsible, in fact, that I think it barely happens. I'm assuming that any kid who watches this will be at least nine or ten.

Second of all, I did put a content warning there, and even made a version which removed three of the stronger swear words. I know that some people are offended by blasphemous language, but they constitute a relatively small part of my audience. Being a secular humanist myself, it would feel awkward to censor according to religious injunctions.

Lastly, I've never been a big believer in the idea that kids automatically emulate what they see or hear in the media. Knowing a swear word because you heard it somewhere is one thing, using it all the time is another. When I was nine, I knew the standard repertoire of dirty words, but still didn't use them in conversation at all. Especially when you're older, it's quite possible to see attitudes in the media that are radically different from your own, and still not be affected by them.

If you personally find the content distasteful, you don't have to watch it, but there is no case for shielding everyone against it.

I'd be interested to know what your stance is on violence in brickfilms. It seems like so many brickfilms have levels of violence that, by your reasoning, would be quite dangerous for young children.

FINE. but I find that in the censored version, you should have covered ALL swear and blasphemous words, and I'm still pissed on that.

well I'm offended by the censorship, it's something I find revolting, but I'm not complaining becouse no one forced me to watch something I am morally opposed to

livinglego wrote:

FINE. but I find that in the censored version, you should have covered ALL swear and blasphemous words, and I'm still pissed on that.

I find it a little odd that you would call someone out on saying the word "crap," but still allow yourself to say "pissed."

I'm tryin' to add some emphasis.

Night Owl wrote:

Lastly, I've never been a big believer in the idea that kids automatically emulate what they see or hear in the media.

Maybe not automatically, but you can't discount the obvious power of the media.  Here are just 2 quick facts that call your position into question and demonstrate the power of media to influence people:
1) suburban, mid- upper-income kids dressing and acting like inner-city gang-bangers.
2) companies spending millions of dollars on advertising in the media.  [They wouldn't waste their $ if it didn't influence people.]

Whether we like it or not, whether we think about it or not, every little bit we add to the media-machine moves the culture, even if only a little bit.  Enough people moving it a little this way or that eventually adds up to large movements in society.  The culpability lies not only with the viewer who chooses to view something, but also with the film-maker.

RHETORICAL QUESTIONS: Are we helping to make our world a more coarse, violent place or a more loving, peaceful place with our films?  What kind of world do we want for ourselves and our kids?  Are we helping to make that world happen?

These questions fly in the face of what's considered to be cool these days.  Violence is "stylized" and while goodness is "boring".

It reminds me of a time I went to a metal weekend and one band named their latest album a swear word. They were selling black t-shirts with a particular swear word on it, until they sold out. 10's of thousands of teens had this swear word on their shirts. Selling swear words to teenagers is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Each to their own, swear words don't bother me, but I did beep all the swear words from my THAC6 entry knowing full well that some kiddies may watch it. In weed cops the censored version still had some questionable morals regarding the treatment of women but I doubt I'll find any solidarity with that point of view with the audience here.
Besides I have a big breasted mini-fig in my latest film so take my comments with a grain of salt.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

livinglego wrote:

I respect that, can't you try your hardest to not allow this type of content at ALL?!

Let's say we did this. What if we then had a muslim user who took offence at the christian content in a number of the films that get posted here? Should we remove all of them too? What if we had a mennonite user or something who took offence at the ungodly depiction of tiny plastic men moving around like living beings? Should we remove all the films?

The bottom line is that if you go looking for something that is going to cause offence and then get offended by it, you should be looking at your own ability to self-censor, not the site's.

livinglego wrote:

I'd like to ditto what MindGame said about you using "pissed", and I have to admit that it didn't occur to me to censor anything other than the three words that I did until after the film was released. Like it or not, but "damn" and "Jesus Christ" are quite mild by most standards.

AncientBricks wrote:

RHETORICAL QUESTIONS: Are we helping to make our world a more coarse, violent place or a more loving, peaceful place with our films?  What kind of world do we want for ourselves and our kids?  Are we helping to make that world happen?
These questions fly in the face of what's considered to be cool these days.  Violence is "stylized" and while goodness is "boring".

I think that's overly simplified. Films often address the problems of society, and make people think about them. What's important is that people view every film with a critical mindset, instead of sanitizing things for them.

I think I should mention that I'm actually somewhat averse to violence in films and how it is often used; I don't think I'd ever watch a film like Saw, and I find it hard to accept how so many action films, for example, show mindless slaughter by the "good guys" as acceptable. The strange thing is that this kind of broad violence is generally treated less harshly than explicit sex or strong language in films.

bodville wrote:

In weed cops the censored version still had some questionable morals regarding the treatment of women but I doubt I'll find any solidarity with that point of view with the audience here.

Yeah, my mom really came down hard on me on that one (haha), and it's my biggest issue personally with the film in retrospect, even if it is supposed to be more of an intentional cliché. I guess I'm obliged to have a strong female figure in my next film.
However, I did have the foresight to intentionally put the woman on top.

(no offense Night Owl)

I think everyone should SHUT THE FREAKING HELL UP.

Its a freaking BRICKFILM, Who cares if it says a few "bad words" in it, or shows a few "bad things" in it?!

If you constantly freak out about THIS, I feel sorry for you, because your going to have a HORRIBLE life ahead of you. WHO CARES. Seriously, you're a SAD person if you get mad at these kind of things. A sad, sad, low life who wants to be the moral police because you think you everyone around you should be like you.

Well here's a news flash! Nobody WANTS to be like you people, your annoying, your doing NOTHING for ANYONE. So just, shut the hell up, and forget about it. Because if you didn't like this. Your not going to like what you have in store for you.

Sorry for this, Its just been bothering me for a while.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

I deleted three posts that were relatively mindless statements of assent towards the angry rant above. I don't feel it's proper, in a debate, to let people gang up in such a manner.

Oh man, Night Owl, you really got yourself in trouble for making this film so offensive. Rolz and I were actually considering doing something similar to this (only with more swearing and more in a gangsta-style), but after this... I don't think the world of brickfilming could handle it yet.

Yeah, I've gone from being the brickfilming world's Jim Jarmusch to being its John Waters.

Oh, you're still in contact with Rolz? How is the guy? I haven't talked to him in, like, years.

Night Owl wrote:

Yeah, I've gone from being the brickfilming world's Jim Jarmusch to being its John Waters.

So are you going to grow the mustache?

Don't worry Bert and Night Owl. livinglego appears to be the only one who is offended by sex and swearing. Like he did in Keshen's Honest Tea thread.

People were grand with this film. It's only since the livinglego guy came (no offense to you, livinglego, but try lighten up. I know you'll find it easier here after a while). You don't have to watch the film. Luckily for people like you when the Directory's up they're be film content advisory. And Night Owl clearly said in the first post "The following film contains profanity, as well as mild sexual and drug references. See below for a censored version.".

-Steve

BertL wrote:

Rolz and I were actually considering doing something similar to this (only with more swearing and more in a gangsta-style), but after this... I don't think the world of brickfilming could handle it yet.

That MUST be made!