Topic: It Goes On Forever (Creating the Illusion of Expansiveness)...

Or it should. One of my goals as a brickfilmer is to figure out how to make a set that looks as if it goes on to the horizon, or at least has some rolling hills in the background. Unfortunately, I've never been able to do this. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for making vast sets, or making small sets look huge? I'm quite curious, I'd love to be able to create a set that fits on my table while looking like it's an entire outdoor world.

Last edited by Squash (August 3, 2009 (12:15pm))

Re: It Goes On Forever (Creating the Illusion of Expansiveness)...

I too wish to know ways of doing this. I guess it would be possible with an LCD screen and having a blurred image that matched with the set but I would like to know better ways.

Last edited by RP Hoogle (August 3, 2009 (12:13pm))

Poor, poor orphan boys who can only access the Internet by giving cocaine to their local librarians.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

maggosh wrote:

Poor, poor orphan boys who can only access the Internet by giving cocaine to their local librarians.

Ummmm........ok.......... mini/confused

Don't be fooled, my avatar is a facade of conformity.

You could figure out a way to make fog, and then use that to hid the end of your set. However, I think this would only work with sets that are fairly long to begin with. Here, you could use digital set extensions, but since we only have a few people around here who can do that well, that will be unlikely to happen as well, unless you learn how to do it yourself.

Usually, I just avoid showing the edge of the set altogether.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Here's an attempt I just made in about 5 minutes...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LimeStudFilms/cinematography/depth.png
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LimeStudFilms/cinematography/depth2.png

Do you kind of see what I did there? It's all about depth of field, I guess ( picture taken on a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 by the way ).

Hmm, I don't like that example too much; it's too confusing visually, and we're looking for a solution where you can actually film a whole scene, not just one shot.

The key for me as always been to have a white backdrop and a shallow depth of field; I think it worked quite well in the last shots of The River.

EDIT: I think on second thought that what you really have to do is use lighting in a way that makes the background seem entirely separate and far away from the foreground. If the viewer gets a sense of the true scale of the set because it's lit carelessly, that's bad.

To do digital set expansion, what do you need, and are there any tutorials on it? JW...

Persist.