Re: STAR: The River (now in HD!)

Wow, simply put, wow.

The idea and how it's used, are astonishing. THIS is proof that a brickfilm can out-do even Professional hollywood work. I would like the claim this is a Perfect brickfilm. I have no negatives, whatsoever.

This film's message inspires me, and reminds me that my writing has a long way to go.

10/10

Just, phenomenal

-Tripod /|\

Teh Tripod has teh extra boost.

I am devoted to proving that the brickfilm art can be just as serious, emotional, and entertaining as anything in the professional film industry.

Robukka wrote:

This wide box I am writing my message in reminds me of the wide screen in "the River".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otgfyrqdnhs NEW sound, the sound of Daft Punk's "Veridis Quo", of Radiohead's "Reckoner"

Robukka... to be really blunt, that sounds awful and I want you to take it down.

Absolutely stunning cinematography and lighting. Really tight animation too, like the priest with the snake.
I think everything's that there is well done, but from a storytelling point of view I wanted more from the ending. I enjoyed the mystical near-death experience (I mean near-death literally, I interpreted it as taking a lateral view of the underworld while floating down the river Styx) but was disappointed that we don't know what it meant for the character. Did he abandon the war and become a mystical hermit? Did he realize his place in history and then play an important role in the war? Or did he just stand in the rain for a while? mini/wink I know there's an allure in the ambiguous non-ending, but when you have an ambiguous spiritual journey/dream sequence it's nice to show the audience what the character got out of that experience. In my opinion at least.
Still, this is an outstanding movie that could have won solely for it's technical merits, but has some good storytelling too.

hey you are the bestttttttttttttttt

wow! this is amazing! Was that the Union army? mini/smile

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

When I first saw The River my immediate reaction was that this film is very similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's so similar because it has a combination of two things: riveting cinematography, and mysterious storytelling. Shots like the first and the shots in the encounter with the Natives left me absolutely amazed. The story was as mysterious as 2001, never too sure what it's trying to say. This is a masterpiece. The only things I had problems with was that in the first shot, the river looked a little odd. At one point it had a small shadow and another it had a huge one. Was this to show it's mystery? Also the voice acting is difficult to understand in the starting. I love this film. I've watched this many times and still want to watch it more. Definitely, one of the best brickfilms ever.

imagfilmsstudios wrote:

hey you are the bestttttttttttttttt

mini/lol

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

mod edit - spam

RikiKiki wrote:

Hi, I'm an awesomly stupid spammer, who thinks he's awesome, but EVERY night, I cry, because I don't have any friendss

Changed it for ya mini/smile

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

T.G-Tom wrote:
RikiKiki wrote:

Hi, I'm an awesomly stupid spammer, who thinks he's awesome, but EVERY night, I cry, because I don't have any friendss

Changed it for ya mini/smile

Well edited T.G-Tom. Its funny because its true.

I'm starting thinking that TG-Tom is our intelligent SPAM police...

No, T.G-Tom is doing exactly what you shouldn't do.

Replying to a robot won't fix the problem, but using the Report button will. So, if you want to be a real Spam Policeman, let us know when you see some.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Sorry, Girls Boys just wanna have fun.

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

This is seriously one of the first brickfilms in quite a while that I've watched and thoroughly enjoyed. Of course, I haven't seen many in the past year, but this is seriously a very interesting and thoughtful piece. And the dialog? There's a level of knowing and character depth in "Well there you go...". It wasn't spurring on the conversation, it was an absolutely excellent line that instantly sold me on the characters.

Night Owl, seriously impressive.

There were a few moments where I said to myself "This is a perfect time to use this shot!". Most of them you ended up doing, which was awesome, a couple I think would have been crazy hard or jarring. Like in the boat, I kept wanting you to cut to an overhead wide shot, and show the wake of the boat opening up slowly in that light. Ridiculously hard to do, considering the medium!

Loved it.

Next time you use water, buy a couple jars of hair gel and go crazy with some spoons... It's something I've been aching to try mini/smile

Thanks. I should add that in terms of brickfilming, films like Fallen: Part One were a major inspiration. mini/smile

I love that, thanks mini/smile

and it's funny to me that films like Fallen: Part One can be an inspiration for something this cool and interesting. It usually just inspires me to do better, and not to try and make a trilogy!

So many failed attempts to shoot that!!

this is a great movie. 1 of my personal favorite in the contest. great job

ShaDowMaRe

That was pretty neat. mini/smile  The animation was very good, and I loved the set design! mini/bigsmile  It felt almost like I was looking at an actual forest! I hope to try to make sets like that in future. I didn't quite follow it though. It was very interesting, and the sound effects definitely helped it, but I didn't really understand everything that was going on. Was it a dream sequence most of the way through? That's more like what it seemed to be to me. By the way, how did you do the effects like the water and the rain? That looked very good!

Okay, sorry for the bump, but I have a few questions about this. I need info for and upcoming film, which is greatly inspired by this. (Good artists copy, great artists steal. mini/wink )

Fist off, how did you achieve the campfire lighting? Some pics, diagrams, or detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Also, how did you achieve the river at the beginning? The river effect looked awesome.

I really admire this film, and I would really appreciate it if you helped me out.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png