Topic: The LEGO Movie Rebuilt community project - Applications open

Animator/voice actor/musician application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_Hliws … ested=true

We also made our own announcement video, if you like to hear the same information from multiple videos:

This has been in the works for a while, originating from discussions in the Brickfilm Day Discord in 2022, then not really going anywhere for a bit, and then starting to go somewhere after that. BiM and Brickfilm Day staff have been involved in organizing, but a massive shoutout goes to Bricks & Pieces who did the bulk of the work of splitting the film up into individual video files and creating a massive organization spreadsheet with them, plus plenty of the other work. We have also been blown away by people bringing their A-game in contributions that have been shot so far, and we love to see people bringing their own creativity to their shots. Our intention is for this to be sort of a middleground between being a "recreation" and a "reimagining". People aren't expected to make the sets in the original scale, and we like for there to be additional jokes and fun things. The LEGO Movie really is great as something that everyone in brickfilming knows and is genuinely really good, and it's exciting to see people from different corners being brought together for this shared project!

Some more detailed history, for the record: The origin of the idea started when jaredvb lightheartedly posted in the Brickfilm Day Discord "Who wants to make a community recreation of American Psycho", on April 12, 2022. This led to people discussing the topic of recreating full movies in LEGO. Vertical Bricks asked "wait are there "the lego movie recreated in lego" videos?", and pinged me. I replied, "I've only ever seen brief bits - 1 minute or so - I have thought that the ultimate community project would be to reanimate the whole film to release it in 2024 for the 10-year anniversary - with the sets scaled down/done in peoples own styles, of course". This led to people saying they would be down to actually try that, and I proposed it would be "all LEGO stop-motion and then CG for the credits animation", due to that being the inverse of the original film. I went on to say "you wouldn't recreate the sets 1:1 - you would make your footage in your own distinct style". I also said that people would redo the audio, to keep in line with the reimagined style (and to avoid a copyright claim), and I posted Shrek Retold as reference for the kind of thing I was thinking of. People continued discussing and said it should be an official Brickfilm Day project, and I said "it would be good since the BFD people already have experience organizing projects to completion", before saying "actually I'm gonna say it should be a collab between BiM and BFD lmao". (Vertical Bricks soon stated "I ask penta a joke and people out here making a whole thing out of it lmao").

When BP arrived later, he said "I like the idea proposed by Penta. I shall confer with my fellow owners/admins. If it does go ahead, it will take a massive amount of organisation, so let’s remain patient and not get too ahead of ourselves yet." Later, he said "So, update: The Lego Movie Retold collab will be happening as a BFD event. It will be the biggest project we’ve ever undertaken, so don’t expect to see an official announcement or many other updates for at least a couple of months. Just know we are working on it, and we’ll detail how to get involved in time. Thanks for your enthusiasm". As is usually the case in brickfilming, it went on the backburner for a while, and sometimes people would ask in the server if it would still happen, and would be assured that it would eventually. Multiple staff members from both BFD and BiM were brought on board to help organize, and in 2023, things really started moving, and BP cut the film into many tiny video files to start offering segments to people. We started inviting people to claim footage and start working, and eventually slowed down on inviting more people once we had a fair bit going on. We figured we would open it up to public applications at some point, but wanted to give some time to have some work to show for ourselves first. Without a bunch of work already done and a remarkably solid-looking trailer, this could easily have come across like just another pipe dream that would obviously never go anywhere.

We figured it would be cool if the project came out on the 10-year anniversary of The LEGO Movie, but after a while that clearly wasn't going to happen, and the deadline for initial animators was pushed back multiple times. We decided we would release the trailer on the 10-year anniversary, and open it up for public applications at the same time. Now we just have to grind to make sure this comes out within 2024, since it is still the anniversary year, and we can still say it's for 10 years of The LEGO Movie.