Topic: Brickfilms and Film Festivals

With the Klossexpo Film Festival beginning soon, and with the film festival season wrapping up. I would like to ask users of Bricks in Motion what your thoughts are on brickfilms being submitted to major film festivals such as Montclair Film or NYFF, or even smaller film festivals.

I guess that the reasons for doing so would be that there isn't really a variety of selections for brickfilm festivals, and whichever ones there are I find to be rather restrictive. Do you think its a good idea to submit a brickfilm to a film festival, or would it just be a waste of money and time.

Last edited by Original Brick1ster (December 22, 2023 (02:20pm))

Re: Brickfilms and Film Festivals

Original Brick1ster wrote:

With the Klossexpo Film Festival beginning soon, and with the film festival season wrapping up. I would like to ask users of Bricks in Motion what your thoughts are on brickfilms being submitted to major film festivals such as Montclair Film or NYFF, or even smalelr film festivals.

I guess that the reasons for doing so would be that there isn't really a variety of selections for brickfilm festivals, and whichever ones there are I find to be rather restrictive. Do you think its a good idea to submit a brickfilm to a film festival, or would it just be a waste of money and time.

I think the problem is very few brickfilmers see brickfilm as actual professional cinema, and brickfilming is a nieche, so "formal" animators doesn't even respect the genre or they just simply don't know it exists. I say this to put into context why so many brickfilmers aren't taken seriously as filmakers. They also don't seek to make movies, they rather choose to make sketches, parodies, tributes or original stories that depend on previous movie franchises, and when they do risk to make something interesting and original and that's actually formal cinema, only the brickfilm niche finds out about their film. The solution for the problem you exposed, I think, is taking the risk on your current posibilities and submit your films to festivals with the thought in mind that they are movies and not just videos, so you have to honestly question yourself: Is this a movie I would go watch on the theater and pay for a ticket just to watch it? If don't, then don't submit it, but if it does, take the risk. I wouldn't spend money on getting into festival if it doesn't return something useful or something that helps growing your filming career. So yes, it is good to get your movies into the film festivals you mentioned, but make sure you consider them a film and not a tribute or sketch and search for getting the interest of public. And for the limited brickfilming festival options, they are going to start growing when investors of festivals realize that brickfilming is cinema and that they can economically benefit from it, if that doesn't happen, I'm affraid Brickfilm will never get serious. Hope that helps. God bless.

Last edited by Bozbet Productions (October 27, 2023 (01:51am))

Are you one of those who do what is convenient for only yourself or one of those who do what is right seeking the truth?

Re: Brickfilms and Film Festivals

I do like the statement about brickfilming and professional cinema and the contrast in people making such, it does feel like Super 8mm filmmaking, in which that the people doing it range from some kids with a camera to independent filmmakers trying to do something for cheap. I'm personally surprised that someone did respond to this question as I'm still figuring out how to handle releasing brickfilms.