Topic: Question : from 15 fps capture to 24/25 fps youtube upload ???

Hello everyone. I am new to stop motion animation. While practicing, reading guides, tips, etc.
I have a practical question that I can't find the answer to.
People say, that 15 fps is a gold standart for brick animation, but all lego movies on youtube is 24/25 fps.
I use Boats Animator for capture and Davinci for Editing and rendering. Firstly,  I used to export files from Boats Animator like photo sequence and import it in Davinci.
And I meet a problem, that Davinci has 3 closest timeline mods to 15 fps, its 16,18 and 24 fps. Ok, lets try 16 fps. But editing in that mode, latter doesnt let me render final video at 24 fps, only 16 fps. With 18 fps mode the same problem.

Ok, if I need 24 fps output, I work in davinci with 24 fps timeline from the begining, but in this case my 1 sec fragment photo sequence from Boats Animator containing 15 photoes doesnt takes 1 sec  fragment in Davinci, because 1 sec for Davinci is 24 photos.
Ok, I can duplicate photos from Boats Animator and capture 12 fps, *2 it is 24 doubled photos in sequence in davinci.
In this case i'm evading the gold standard of 15 fps mini/sad

Then I tried to export files from Boats Animator like video. Ok, Boats Animator made output video file with 15 fps.
Video contains 15 frames for every 1 sec ok.
I import it to Davinci on 24 fps timeline, and at first everything seems fine, 1 sec video from Boats Animator takes the same 1 sec on Davinci timeline.
But, when I studied the video in davinci in detail, i found that davinci duplicates random frames to stretch 15fps video file to 24fps timeline.

I have a question. How do you turn your 15 fps draft files into 24 fps on youtube.
Or it is normall in general for perception and "animation industry" that Davinci doubled random frames?

Last edited by Midnight_synth (March 29, 2023 (07:11am))

Re: Question : from 15 fps capture to 24/25 fps youtube upload ???

Hi midnight, if you are animating at 15 fps you should be using a 30fps timeline in Davinci, many animators also shoot at 12fps which should be rendered as 24 that way rather then having random frames get duplicated it just duplicates every frame once.

Some animators shoot on twos, so if you like animating at 15fps, you would shoot at 30fps but take two pictures for every movement, but if you need a really fast action for a few frames you can switch to 1s. This is how most cartoons have been made through history, if you go back and look at some old Looney Tunes  films and walk through it frame by frame, you might not that there are things shot on two's or sometimes even three's but for those really fast movements the animators will switch and do everything at the full 24fps.

Most TV animation in the US is done at 30fps on 2's so you've likely seen a lot of stuff, even pro stuff that is 'mostly' playing back as if it was 15fps, but even for that TV stuff, if they need a really fast action they may briefly switch to 1's

Re: Question : from 15 fps capture to 24/25 fps youtube upload ???

SlothPaladin wrote:

Hi midnight, if you are animating at 15 fps you should be using a 30fps timeline in Davinci, many animators also shoot at 12fps which should be rendered as 24 that way rather then having random frames get duplicated it just duplicates every frame once.

Some animators shoot on twos, so if you like animating at 15fps, you would shoot at 30fps but take two pictures for every movement, but if you need a really fast action for a few frames you can switch to 1s. This is how most cartoons have been made through history, if you go back and look at some old Looney Tunes  films and walk through it frame by frame, you might not that there are things shot on two's or sometimes even three's but for those really fast movements the animators will switch and do everything at the full 24fps.

Most TV animation in the US is done at 30fps on 2's so you've likely seen a lot of stuff, even pro stuff that is 'mostly' playing back as if it was 15fps, but even for that TV stuff, if they need a really fast action they may briefly switch to 1's

Thank you for such a detailed answer! mini/smile))