Topic: Brickfilming Class

Hey everyone.

Well, I am teaching a brickfilming class for my homeschool group, and livinglego is helping me teach at the class. The reason why were teaching this class, is because the kids at our "LEGO club" (Which I started in 2006.) have been asking us "how do you do it?!" whenever I show them one of my brickfilms. I have already wrote down a lot of things I should teach, (This class will also help me with my brickfilming.) and I was wondering if you guys can think of anything else to teach.
Here is my lesson plan:

First Day: The Basics
1. What is brickfilming? - Show 2 brickfilms, and 2 tests
2. What is Stop-Motion Animation? - Show Aardman clips
3. Basic animation - Walk Cycles and raising an arm.
4. What do you need to make a brickfilm?
5. Help them make some tests using what they just learned.
6. Explain FPS
7. Explain Lighting
8. Make more tests.
9. Pass out papers about what they just learned to take home.
10. Leave

Second Day:

1. Review what was learned last time.
2. Explain the difference between n00b brickfilms and really good brickfilms and professional brickfilms.
3. How to avoid light flicker, and what is it?
4. Keeping your hands out of the brickfilm.
5. Why LEGO puppetry is stupid.
6. Make tests with things they just learned.
7. Set building and how to avoid set bumps.
8. Why you should try to perfect your shots.
9. Start making a brickfilm. - Split the 6 kids in the group into groups of 3. This will encourage teamwork.
10. While they are brickfilming, help them.
11. Pass out papers
12. leave.

Third Day:

1. Review.
2. Explain some more techniques.
3. Advanced walk cycles. - 5 and 6 frame walk cycles and run cycles.
4. Start setting up for brickfilming.
5. Start brickfilming.
6. Help while they brickfilm.
7. Pass out papers.
8. Leave.

Fourth Day:

1. Review
2. Advanced animation. - Throwing, etc.
3. Test advanced animation.
4. Review the brickfilms that were made the two other days.
5. Give out awards for:

- Best animation.
- Best set.
- Best idea.
- Most creative.
- Best overall.
Then give out an award to one person for this award:
- Most improved.

5. More advanced animation. - Dancing, etc.
6. Show the kids brickfilms to their moms.
7. Closing Comments.
8. Give out papers.
9. Leave.

These are some stuff I have wrote down to remember to teach about:

- Tedious, you need patience. It takes over 900 frames just to make 1 minute of film.
- Patience is rewarding. It might take long, but it will be rewarding to see the finished product.
- Don't copy other people's work. Think of your own original ideas.
- Try to perfect every shot you take.
- Try your best, even if you mess up, just start over, but this time, try learning from your mistakes. What could you do to avoid that mess up again?
- Before making a brickfilm, practice the things your character will do, so when you start brickfilming, you will know how to animate that the best you can.

So, does anyone have any ideas?
The lowest age for this class is 8, just because of the factor of attention span.

Thanks everyone! mini/smile

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Re: Brickfilming Class

That sounds cool. I did a 45-minute seminar at my school a few weeks ago, though the lowest age was 13, fortunately.

I did a class like this two years ago. I believe the lowest age was 10 or 11. In my opinion, the biggest thing you need to emphasize is for them to have fun, and be flexible; let them animate what they want to try animating, and even if it doesn't look great, use it as a moment to teach them what went wrong. Be sure to integrate things like cinematography and set building, but make certain that it is in small enough doses they won't lose attention. Remember, many of the people in your class probably won't want to make the next Grace, they just want to make a Lego person move, and more likely than not in a comedic way.
Another thing to be wary of is that although I'm not certain how long your class will be, animation really can't be learned in 5 days, so you will have to set them up with the skills to improve on their own if they so choose.

All that said, I like the professionalism with which you are approaching teaching this class. Having a plan will improve advancement tremendously, provided they understand fully what it is they are doing.

I think your right Squash, that's really helpful. mini/smile

I tought a brickfilming lesson in my school, it was 20 minutes long. Now alot of people in my school make brickfilms.

I'm making a weekly class at my school next year with my friend who is also a brickfilmer

Perhaps go into the realm of script writting for a brickfilm and even as far as story boarding.

Depending on the kind of camera you are using, perhaps a quick lesson on White Balancing a camera too wouldn't hurt.

Sound recording and animating to dialog would be a helpful lesson too.

Good luck! Sounds like an awesome class. mini/smile

~WG

Guys, so far I got
1. 13 year old.
2. a 14 year old.
3. a nine year old.
4. a 12 year old.

The only one I know so far is the 12 year old. He's one of the kids who asked me "how do you do it?!" at the LEGO club.  He's autistic. But not in a bad way, instead of making him violent, he's reeeeaally nice. He also listens really closely.

How long would each lesson be? Don't forget that brickfilming takes a LOT of time with setting up shots and lighting and everything. On top of that, try not to steer them too much in the thing. Let them be creative with it. This makes it much more fun. (Also, come up with a bunch of ideas they can use to brickfilm, in case someone is totally out of inspiration.)

And what are you going to say about the audio? Don't forget that that is an important part of brickfilms as well.

I totally forgot about the audio! Thanks!

The classes will be 3 hours at the most. But I will give them papers to learn how to set up things and stuff. The papers will cover what I didn't teach them.

but they have to bring their own laptop and webcam.

That's an interesting idea. To bad nobody that I know would probably be interested if I started one.

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

livinglego wrote:

but they have to bring their own laptop and webcam.

No they don't. I will supply the stuff. I will install my cisco webcam on another computer and get monkeyjam for it. Could you bring your computer and webcam? Oh yeah, and is Brickflix/David coming? (We can use my computer to do our own stuff while they're brickfilming.

Groups of 3? 

I like how you encourage teamwork, but I've tried making an animation with a friend.  It doesn't work.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

You know, you also don't 100 percent need a webcam to brickfilm, as I must Brickfilm in a room seperate from the computer (Because my parents told me to buy my own.)

meme
http://i.imgur.com/gMfjgiC.jpg