Topic: Ram

I want to start video editing on the app shotcut with 8gb of ram. I was wondering if I could edit my 4 or 5 minute lego stopmotions with 8gb of ram on Shotcut?

Re: Ram

8GB of RAM is on the low side, but generally you should be able to get the job done. I have 8GB of RAM myself and haven't really had any issues with my old version of Sony Vegas. Having not used Shotcut before I don't know the specifics of how it works, so the following is more general advice. YMMV.

It mostly depends on what video resolution you're capturing/editing at. The higher the frame resolution, the more work your computer needs to do to render the frames/footage. If you're using special effects (green screen, colour correction, digital blur, etc.) this may slow things down as well.

In general I would expect some playback issues (like choppy/slow playback in the preview screen), but nothing so bad that you're unable to edit your film. Keep in mind that these issues will most likely not be seen in the final product! Most editing programs render the final film on a frame-by-frame basis. The rendering process may take a bit longer on your computer compared to one with more RAM, but the picture quality shouldn't suffer (depending on your video compression settings, of course).

On the bright side, Shotcut is free and open source so you can always just try it out and see how it runs!

Last edited by BertL (February 10, 2020 (12:33pm))

i dont like shot cut but thats just my opinion. i use hitfilm express and i LOVE it. i can input an image sequence instead of a video file.

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

i use open shot now

"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

i think you should use shot cut for everything. it has sooo much and it is more on the simple side but i like it!
but if you do get it watch this video youtube.com/watch?v=4bcw9_zXEuA&t=34s

Thank you for your participation and enthusiasm, 2x4 studios, but please try not to double post.

ok.

Willow Tree wrote:

Thank you for your participation and enthusiasm, 2x4 studios, but please try not to double post.