Topic: Lighting query

Hi, just new to stop motion and trying to take it all in so apologies in advance if the following seem like silly questions.  In relation to lighting, if I use a 3 point lighting system, is it better to move each light further from the subject i.e. key light nearest, then fill light and back light furthest.  Or is it better to have the lights at the same distance and used different strength bulbs?  Also should I use a forth light to light up the background? If so, what kind of strength?  Many thanks

Re: Lighting query

I’ve tried the 3 point system, and personally do not like it. There always seems to be some dark portions on the set. Especially with the varying shapes and sizes of sets, I find the best way to light your set is to light as the set demands. A light setup on one set will not necessarily work on the next set. For your basic, open set, I personally find the best looking results are two lights, one on the left and one on the right. If your set goes deeper than this covers, place two more lights in the same manner, deeper into your set. It will take some pretty large sets to require this, but it definitely happens. Again, that’s if you want your lighting to be even over the whole set. Sometimes you want certain parts darker or lighter than the others, which returns us to the point of just lighting how the set demands. Hope this can help you out, and good luck on your future brickfilms!

Brickman is right.
For me, lighting is 100% reliant on the set and shot needs. I've filmed with one lamp, two, three, and as many as five or six, while also using nearly 20 smaller LED lights and a variety of other light sources. (And sometimes only using those small LEDs that are integrated into the set.) I've used tiny LEDs, to sunlight, to flashlights, and even a phone screen to get the perfect look for the scene I'm filming.

The three light system is usually lauded because it enables you to evenly cover the sides of the set and the background. However, depending on your setup, only two may do the trick. Also, you may not even want an even and bright scene.

Play around, have fun, experiment, and look up lots of behind the scenes pictures to get a good idea of what others do. (Here's my Flickr)

Hi, thanks very much for the advice, that really helps a lot.  I think I am maybe trying to be too methodical and “textbook” about it and as you both point out, it all depends on the situation.  I think I will just have a bit of fun and experimentation with it now without the fear that I am doing it wrong.  Thanks guys, really appreciate that mini/smile There will be more questions to follow mini/blankexpression