Topic: Looking for desk lamp bulb recommendations

I am really new to the stop motion.  I've read that flicker-free lighting is essential and that a lot of users on here use adjustable desk lamps.  I plan on purchasing two adjustable lamps and am looking for suggestions on the type of bulbs I should get.  What type color temperature, "wattage", and brand should I look out for?  I assume LED.

Thanks,
Bryan

Re: Looking for desk lamp bulb recommendations

LED's are pretty good as they are quite cool (no risk of burning the defusing paper) and don't really flicker. And a good quality florescent bulb can work too, though some lower quality florescents can flicker a bit and also they get a bit hotter.

Wattage wise, just standard bulbs you'd put in desk lamps should work (I don't remember exactly what's the normal wattage is for LED's and florescents).

As for color closer to white is best though if it's slightly one way or another you can just adjust white balance via your camera controls.

Last edited by END films (August 18, 2018 (07:33am))

What END said, I think your best bet is to go for some Daylight LED bulbs. I also recommend getting 3 lamps in order to create a 3-point lighting system, although since you're new to brickfilming if you haven't got lots of money to spend on equipment then this is not absolutely essential at first, but is definitely something you want to have soon.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

END nailed it.
If you can afford it, LEDs are the way to go.

I use 60 watt incandescent bulbs, so a 60w equivalent LED would be a good place to start. (The actual usage will be around 8w-10w)

What kind of desk lamps are you getting?
Normal nightstand lamps won't work well with their shades. You'll want some more like this, at least for one or two of them. It's best to have something flexible and adjustable so you can have complete control over the lighting.

I use these. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-8-1-2-i … lsrc=aw.ds They're cheap and they work fine. Incandescent bulbs don't flicker but they're hot, so I use the swirly flourescent bulbs. There are tricks to keep them from creating those ugly horizontal bands. I put an ND and a polarizer in front of the camera and boost the exposure. This seems to help.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png