Topic: Tripod recommendations

I'm going to have to get a new tripod soon, does anybody have any recommendations? Nothing too expensive, under $25-ish.

Re: Tripod recommendations

As far as tripods go, I like 'em sturdy, heavy, and made of metal.
If you're not in a huge hurry, check out thrift shops, it might take a few weeks or even months, but you can find some amazing stuff. I got an older Davis & Sanford for $15, it's in great shape and extremely sturdy.
Recently I've found I prefer mounting my camera to the table I'm animating on, as it prevents the problem of bumping the tripod. That way even if when you bump the table, the camera is still lined up with the table, so you can keep on animating. I only use tripods now for overhead shots.
If you're using a webcam, there's a lot you can do with lego bricks or sticky tack. For a standard ground level shot, I often use sticky tack to fix the camera to the table, but for fancier angles, look into building camera rigs out of legos. There are tutorials on youtube of how to build them. I just built a holder for the C920 and used it in the trucking shot in my Figure Skating video. I'm very happy with the results, and since I can build all kinds of camera rigs (dollies, cranes, etc) out of legos, I plan on doing this more often.

Last edited by thistof (February 15, 2018 (01:07am))

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Cool! Thanks! mini/bigsmile

thistof wrote:

Recently I've found I prefer mounting my camera to the table I'm animating on, as it prevents the problem of bumping the tripod. That way even if when you bump the table, the camera is still lined up with the table, so you can keep on animating.

WHY HAVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS!!!!! mini/eek mini/eek mini/eek

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I know, right?

I use a gorillapod, 'cause it's very flexible and you can achieve almost any angle you wish.
A thing you should keep in mind if you want to buy a tripod is:
Tripods can endure a limited weight, so check if it can hold your camera or not.