Topic: [THAC XV] A Boring Law

Directory Link

A Boring Law

YouTube

A man courageously defies a local ordinance to make a point

Last edited by Mighty Wanderer (January 9, 2018 (06:25pm))

Re: [THAC XV] A Boring Law

Loved it! everything is just awesome! Im really impressed with how many sets you in this for this, given the time period. The animation is also top notch.

Keep up the good work

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

One of my favorite entries, it's always nice to see a rhyming brickfilm.  Using the mod element for the theme was clever. 

Spoiler (click to read)

However, I suppose that wannabe serial killers shouldn't take the message to heart.

It's fine for the rest of us, though.

It was fantastic love the brick built tarp unveiling and the animation was superb I just couldn't find the alliance in it but other than that you will probably be one of the winners for sure I guarantee it!!!!!

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

DISCLAIMER: My reviews are detailed and hypercritical. This was THAC. You only have 24 hours. It's not easy, and no THAC brickfilm is ever perfect. I know this when I write the detailed review. IF IT COULD BE PERFECT, what could have been added/changed/improved? When we think about all these details in retrospect, we are training ourselves to think about them the next time we make a film.

Okay, so there's a lot of impressive things in this brickfilm especially for 24 hours. The animation you had was very good. I liked the drop in at the start of the film, the uncovering of white and green, as well as the Sheriff's jump, roll, and landing - to name a few. I also liked some of the more subtler animations, and camera movements. Shots that maybe could have snuck by as stills instead of animated, you went ahead and animated. Kudos. There was one still image that had a zoom out (the one with the hero's back is turned and his arms are raised up and out). I felt like that one needed him to raise his arms and take a step back to sell that "I did it! At last!" moment. But that is so small and brief in an otherwise skillfully animated brickfilm.

From a visual storytelling perspective I really can't see any flaws that stand out to me. The shots all cumulatively add up to the ending. Good job.

Lighting: I do have an issue with how dark the interior shots are of the hero character. Plus the color is shifted red just slightly and it feels weird to me. It could have been just a tad brighter I think. The exterior shots look great.
The Sets were excellent. I really liked the use of microscale to show the town as a whole, and the storefront/saloon set was very nicely detailed. I really liked that there was a definite color scheme to everything. The buildings and ground were all in browns, tans, and greys. The townsfolk matched that color scheme. The only two people who stood out against those colors are the characters we needed to pay attention to; the sheriff in black, and the hero in green and white. The interior set was hard to make out much in it, but I could tell there were a lot of things within the set. Couldn't really see it in its full glory.

Audio - For the narration I felt the bass/treble balance was uneven, and so I lost a lot of the consonants in your speech unless I listened to everything else turned up a lot louder. Minor though. Not a big thing at all really.

Story - This for me is a toss-up. On the one hand you have the use of theme which was fairly weak, in that it just used the mod colors as the unlikely alliance, and the green and white being outlawed had nothing to do with anything other than "it's for plot purposes". Not great. BUT. On the other hand there is the brilliant rhyming narration. It matched the old-timey feel of the story itself, and the narration proceeded along with the visuals we watch on screen. I imagine you probably wrote and recorded the narration before animating. Big thumbs up on the narration.

I always enjoy seeing what things you come out with. Looking forward to what you make next!

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I really appreciate it (especially how much thought is put into each review)!

nswihart wrote:

I liked the drop in at the start of the film, the uncovering of white and green, as well as the Sheriff's jump, roll, and landing

The latter of these two were both shots that I was set on including from the very start, so I'm glad they stood out (the fall was an idea I had when I realized how weird it was to animate on top of that table since I was originally going to have him turn around or something, I don't quite remember now). mini/tongue

nswihart wrote:

There was one still image that had a zoom out (the one with the hero's back is turned and his arms are raised up and out).

I am totally with you here. This was the one of the final shots of the night, and I was really starting to fade so I decided to just cut my work a bit short and fake a bit of drama (which is probably good considering I pushed fairly close to the deadline).

nswihart wrote:

The buildings and ground were all in browns, tans, and greys. The townsfolk matched that color scheme. The only two people who stood out against those colors are the characters we needed to pay attention to; the sheriff in black, and the hero in green and white.

Big shoutout to my friend Sean who did the set design. He's pretty fantastic, and it would look nowhere near as nice as it did without him. \o/

nswihart wrote:

I imagine you probably wrote and recorded the narration before animating. Big thumbs up on the narration.

I actually didn't record the narration until ~10 (6 hours before the deadline), so definitely after filming all of the exterior scenes (I think I might have done a couple of the shop shots at this point, but not much), but I had timed a quick read earlier in the day to have an idea of how much footage I was going to need.

There are definitely other things I would have improved upon with some more time - framing the town shots a bit better or planning some of the action out a bit better so I wouldn't have to reuse shots to fill for a couple examples - but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially with the time restraint.

Thanks again for the analysis! I love well-written and reasoned critique. ^.^

The pleasure is all mine! mini/bigsmile

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png